Let's discuss mattress quality control!

Answered!
James18
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

Let's discuss mattress quality control!

Following a note from a recent guest regarding mattress quality, it should be made an option to specify the types of mattress we use and offer our guests. We the hosts do our utmost to provide our guests with a the best bnb experience that we can offer.

One of the critical considerations that we must make is the quality and suitability of the mattress & bedding we are offering as everybody's sleeping considerations can vary greatly. What we may consider to be an ok mattress may seem like an unsuitable or sub par mattress to our guests, dependant upon the quality of sleep each of our guest has. The range of mattress's can vary greatly from the humble and cheap foam mattress, all the way up to a handmade Halstons mattress worthy of a King.

Whilst many of us choose the best value and economical mattress type, should we receive several negative comments regarding mattress quality, should we then choose to invest and upgrade the mattress for this purpose?

Or if we were a 5 star hotel we would probably offer some discount or refund to this guest as gesture to our high standards.

Any thought on this one?

1 Best Answer
Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

This is a tricky one!!  Mattress quality is a highly subjective matter...I have had opposite reviews on the same mattress---too hard for one couple---too soft for another...If this comes out in the review, that's what I respond with---"mattress quality is extremely subjective--what's wonderful to you may be unacceptable to someone else"....what else can we do??  I generally go for a "mid range" type mattress...adding a memory foam topper if people say it's too firm...That's all I can do...

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Maryam-Al-Fakheer0
Level 10
Ma'an Governorate, Jordan

I think this stretches way too far. Of course we know all what would be generally acceptable good quality. 

There are some listings in my area who have simple mattresses on the floor, and have very thin mattresses on the floor in living room to sit on. This I find personally below the standard as in winter time the cold and condense water creep up the mattresses.  

A generally acceptable good quality mattrass on a bed should be enough as minimum standard to my opinion. 

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

This is a tricky one!!  Mattress quality is a highly subjective matter...I have had opposite reviews on the same mattress---too hard for one couple---too soft for another...If this comes out in the review, that's what I respond with---"mattress quality is extremely subjective--what's wonderful to you may be unacceptable to someone else"....what else can we do??  I generally go for a "mid range" type mattress...adding a memory foam topper if people say it's too firm...That's all I can do...

I was going to recommend a 2-3" memory foam topper, too.  Works well for both 'too soft' and 'too firm' complaints.

Merrimon0
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

We have been Airbnb hosts for a little over a year now. We purchased what we considered a quality mattress (firm) and have had many comments about how comfortable our accommodations are - until just recently. Suddenly everyone is telling us the mattress is too soft and sags in the center. If it were just an occassional remark that would be one thing, but now I'm assuming the ones who aren't complaining are just being polite. We had some pretty heavy people staying over the course of the summer and I can only suspect that they shortened the lifespan of our mattress considerably. I hate the thought of having to replace after just one year! This design is such that we can't flip over as someone suggested, but it sounds like the memory foam would be worth a try. Any other suggestions or comments?

@Merrimon0 - I had to order a two sided (flippable) mattress online as they are so hard to find locally.  I've been very very happy - as have my guests - with the mattress.  I do have a memory foam topper on it, since it is rated "extra firm" "for those who enjoy sleeping on the floor", lol.  I've actually had a guest purchase the same set up as I have after sleeping on it.  It was more economical than local stores too!

https://www.us-mattress.com/restonic-andover-firm-cal-king.html

Thanks so much for your suggestion and the link, Willow! Not sure why my replies are not showing up, this is my 3rd attempt so apologies for the techno glitch. I checked out the website you suggested and we are very interested, have decided the problem is serious enough to go ahead and replace this mattress. Was wondering how long you've had your new mattress and an idea of the frequency of use if you don't mind sharing.

@Merrimon0 - we bought the mattress in 2014, and it was our personal mattress. My husband and I are of "sturdy" Eastern European stock, and not small people. It has been the guest bed since January - and I've hosted 86 guests in that time. I only added the topper in January - assuming not everyone would like the extra firm mattress like I do. It has been repeatedly called the most comfortable bed my guests have slept on. 

LUCID 2 Inch Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper - 3-Year Warranty - Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBIVWC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kCvWzb985BQ41

This is is the topper I purchased - 

Willow,

Many thanks again for your help! We are going to order the mattress you are recommending and in the meantime deal with the warranty issue on the original one (which was a Sealy Posturepedic). After our experience I don't want to replace the bad mattress with another of the same,  even if the warranty covers doing so. And after reading all the horror stories online about other issues with guests and mattresses I'm definitely getting a protective cover too!

Merrimon

@Merrimon0    Does your mattress have a box-spring?  I bought a fantastic mattress and after one particular guest I noticed it was sagging in the middle. I thought  it was completely ruined but on closer inspection it was in great shape, still firm and no sagging anywhere it was the box spring that had suffered,  all I had to do was replace the box spring and it's as good as new,  guests still mention how comfortable it is.  btw: Surprise to me - most mattress companies suggest replacement after 10 years so one year is terrible. If it is still in warranty see if you can get it replaced.

Ange, thanks so much for your response. At your suggestion we did inspect the box spring, but it seems fine. I am going to next contact the manufacturer about the warranty, but definitely don't want to replace with same brand!

[quote]Suddenly everyone is telling us the mattress is too soft and sags in the center.[/quote]

Just because it's sagging doesn't mean you have to buy a new one. Stick some collapsed cardboard boxes under the mattress where it sags. You might have to cut the boxes as needed but you can flatten it out pretty good. Like having a brand new mattress.

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Unless the mattress is moldy and the sheets are dirty, a guest complaining about a mattress is just them being jerks, period.  I once stayed in an Airbnb and the mattress was moldy and there were only sheet protectors on the bed, no sheets.  Granted I paid $25 per night, but come on... at least put sheets on the bed and get a new mattress if it's moldy.  If you have a decent, clean mattress on the bed and the sheets are decent and clean, then you're doing your job.  Tell the guest to stay at the Hilton next time.  Don't be surprised that some people are way too high maintenance for Airbnb.

This is a great question!!! The inconsistency of the mattresses in Airbnb is a huge opportunity for all hosts!!  One of the newest ways to maximize your listing is to partner with a company to sell the mattress directly to the guests. All you have to do is place a placard next to the bed and if the guest loves the mattress they place an order on line using a coupon code tied to your listing. The mattress is roll-packed and shipped within a week. Commissions are paid monthly. Easiest way to bring in another revenue stream to your listing. 

https://recovrmattress.com/pages/referral-program-for-airbnb-hosts  

We purchased a queen-sized performance hybrid mattress shipped to our home in a box for only $645!  It offers the perfect fusion of premium pocket springs for support and high-density foam for pressure relief.

The Recovr Mattress has a 40% discount for Airbnb Hosts and provides hosts an opportunity to generate significant income from the mattress.  We've made $300 in referral commissions so far this year.

Airbnb Host Program: https://recovrmattress.com/pages/referral-program-for-airbnb-hosts

For you, the Host: 

• A Recovr Mattress (any size) at a special Airbnb Host 40% Discount
  • A bedside Recovr Mattress display and a supply of custom coupon cards for your guests.
  • $100 commission per mattress purchased with your coupon code, paid out monthly.

For your Guests

• $125 OFF, per Recovr Mattress.  Any size and any quantity.  They simply redeem using your custom coupon code we assign to you.