Mobile app for hosts

Carl-and-Sally0
Level 2
Walkers Point, Australia

Mobile app for hosts

Hi there,  I have the AirBNB app on my mobile phone but it's only geared for guests and I cannot use it as a host.  I cannot accept bookings when I'm away from my laptop and only have my mobile.  I hope someone can assist me as I lost a booking today because I couldn't respond as I wasn't home and I only had my mobile.  I could see I had a request but couldn't reply until I got home, which of course was too late for this particular guest.

I've looked for a different app that's particular for hosts but cannot find one.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sally

11 Replies 11
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

223200BE-6BC1-4465-BAC6-541315B937CC.jpeg

@Carl-and-Sally0 You need to switch to hosting mode. Click Profile and scroll down.

Thank you Colleen253 - I've now found the hosting section, under profiles. 

Although I've already added all relevant details when I first set it using my desktop computer I'm surprised I need to add it all again. 

But OK, I'll do that. 

So, under edit personal information it already has my name, DOB, and my specific to Airbnb email address and I thought aha here's where I need to add my phone number but it rejects this mobile number saying that number is already being used! So although I've advanced one step further I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Any suggestions?

The only thing different between phone and computer is the profile name: ie:  Sally (on my mobile) and Carl-and-SallyO for the desktop.  Still unsure what to do.

Kind regards,

Sally

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Carl-and-Sally0 

There is no separate app for hosts.

There should be. This combination guest/host setup is an abomination.

Other platforms manage to separate the guest part from the host part, but apparently Airbnb thinks it is clever to continually confuse hosts by hiding their inboxes and making it difficult for them to manage their listings.

Brian2036,

Good to know I'm not the only one who's had this issue.  Or rather is still having this issue.  I'm still trying to learn what I'm supposed to do.

Cheers

Sally

Carl-and-Sally0
Level 2
Walkers Point, Australia

I've still had no luck using my Samsung mobile phone as a host.

Still don't know what else to try.

Regards

Sally

@Carl-and-Sally0  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? I remember another host here saying he couldn't use the app on his older Android phone. 

@Robin4  You out there? Didn't you say Airbnb told you your Android was too old a model to work with the app?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

I couldn't use the App for a while because my iPhone got too old and I couldn't update the iOS to the version required by Airbnb. 

When I got a new phone (not Apple - I don't think it has anything to do with the make necessarily), I was able to install the App again.

The notifications are still very hit and miss and it's annoying when it switches to your guest profile for no reason.

@Huma0  You're right, I don't think it matters whether it's an iphone or an Android, Airbnb seems to think everyone goes out and buys a new phone every year and if you don't, too bad for you.

@Carl-and-Sally0  You can still use your phone to answer messages without using the app. I have never used the app. 

Just log on to Airbnb on your phone using the browser, not the app. You'll get the desktop site. It doesn't appear on your phone exactly the way it does on your laptop, it's a bit harder to navigate, but I have easily been able to answer messages in my inbox that way. 

Just because various websites offer an app doesn't mean you have to use it. Almost any website can be accessed on a smart phone through the browser.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Carl-and-Sally0 

Yes, @Sarah977 is right. When I couldn't use the App for a while because my phone was getting old, I still had no problems responding to guests while I was away. I just did it using the browser on my phone or iPad. I actually deleted the App on my iPad as I find it annoying. I just make sure to have the Airbnb site open in my browser on the iPad and make a point of checking my inbox regularly. The App notifications are really hit and miss so I needed to do this anyway, even when the App was installed.

Carl-and-Sally0
Level 2
Walkers Point, Australia

Thank you everyone. 

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra so it's quite new.   

As suggested I've tried via the browser and not the app but I still don't come to my real and known hosting data, inbox, calendar as every thing shows nothing happening.  I may have set it up incorrectly at the beginning and now I cannot undo it.  Although the email address is the same,  Under personal information I gave just name of Sally instead of Carl-and-SallyO and perhaps it thinks I'm someone new! But I suspect that really isn't the problem. I've tried editing the profile to delete and start again but it will not let me.

I do get "Messages" from potential guests on my mobile but when I try to respond it tells me to visit airbnb.com to use the Airbnb app which brings me back full circle to still not being able to respond.

I feel rather silly that I might have caused this headache.  Almost ready to give up.

Cheers

Sally

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Carl-and-Sally0  "As suggested I've tried via the browser and not the app but I still don't come to my real and known hosting data, inbox, calendar as every thing shows nothing happening."

What does "everything shows nothing happening" mean? If you can access your hosting  account on your computer, it should also come up on your phone using the brower.

And I think maybe you are confusing "messages" from guests with alerts that you have a message. You can't respond to alerts- you have to go to your inbox to answer.