Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

Answered!
Kyler40
Level 5
Ann Arbor, MI

Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

We are new hosts and are using the Yale smart lock with Yale Access and Airbnb integration. Guests guests are now automatically supplied with a unique access code to the lock immediately when confirming a reservation — they can also the Yale/August app for Bluetooth access to the lock. An automated message is sent within the Airbnb message system providing their unique code and explaining the options for accessing the Airbnb lock. Once set up, the functionality is very nice! I’m very impressed! However, I’d like to modify the default message that goes out — it is quite long.

Is it possible to modify the automated message that is sent out about the Yale lock integration and instructions to guests?

1 Best Answer
Adam1623
Level 3
Chicago, IL

MY SOLUTION

So I just spent $1,000 on these locks after hearing the exciting news that they integrated with Airbnb. After setting the first one up I quickly realized how it wasn't going to work well with guests and the obnoxious automated message. Thankfully I do use Guesty to manage my listings. Although I was trying to get away from using a channel manager due to the extra costs, I found that Guesty does exactly what you all are looking for with the automated code messaging. You're able to send messages from Guesty, through Airbnb and customize the timing and message itself. Whew! Guesty will use either the guests last 4 of their phone #, or check in/out dates whichever you set it to. When creating the message, just use the tag (Guest Phone Number - Last 4). I just set this up so as of now I can't confirm how well it works, but Guesty does a very good job with it's messaging platform, so we should be ok.

So for now I'll be keeping the channel manager just for the codes (about $35/mo just for this), but I think it's going to be worth it in order to avoid guest confusion and negative reviews. We still absolutely need Yale and Airbnb to fix this because we shouldn't need to use a separate channel manager just to send codes when there's already an integration set up.

Good luck all!

Adam

View Best Answer in original post

77 Replies 77

@Kyler40. Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you ever need to change lock hardware I have been in love with my Schlage Encode locks since I listed in 2021. When I researched choices, Yale was good but I didnt like some of the features you are now mentioning. I also dont use ABB integration (as I like to control the check in process);  takes 2 secs to come up with a unique code and the standard instructions that get sent in a text to my guest are very simple- I can therefore edit them as much as I like. No need for guests to have an app either. My Schlage app controls multiple locks and up to 100 codes each. I did not purchase the bluetooth enabled latest version to keep it simple.

As a result I have had zero guests contact me asking for check in instructions and all gave check in process 5 stars. The only time they have contacted me at check in was to get in slightly earlier and that change was done in 3 secs.

This is not a paid ad for Schlage, I just think they got something very right with their app and the lock hardware is quality too.

Jim631
Level 1
Denver, CO

Yes!  This is SUCH a bad customer experience for AirBNB patrons.  If I were AirBNB, I'd insist that they change it.  It feels like a bad pop-up ad

@Airbnb - why has this gone unaddressed for so long?  There should be a simple solution for this.

Hi @Jim631 @Doug-and-Kristen0 ,

I am so sorry to hear that you have had such an experience getting the required support. I have made sure to relay your feedback to the relevant teams as well.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks, @Bhumika. Can you commit to following up with this request on a weekly basis until we have some concrete action steps identified? Thank you for your support. 

There is an option to remove the app entry option, and only use 6 digit codes as access. This also cleans up the message some, Ali though it's still wordier than necessary. 

"

Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access by simply entering a personal entry code on a keypad.

Your access code is 929854. Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: Thu, Nov 2, 2023 3:00 PM to Mon, Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM.

If you are interested in making other arrangements, please contact your Airbnb Host.

For further instructions on using your code, click here - https://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z."

I would love if that message was simplified further or allowed hosts to customize it. 

Bhumika,

Did you get in touch with the relevant team on this issue? An updated message that is about 2 sentences max would be ideal and not the message below that is too long, confusing and provides a lot of unneeded information to guests. Guest confusion around this message is something I have to resolve as a host quite often and I, along with countless other hosts, would appreciate a more clear and concise message. Something like this would be great:

"Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your access code to the August Home lock is ####"

The current message is horrible:

"Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access in two ways: first by simply entering an access code on a keypad or secondly if you prefer, by using our mobile application.

Your access code is 08843. Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: Fri, Sep 22, 2023 3:00 PM to Sun, Sep 24, 2023 11:00 AM.

We recommend guests download the August Home app. Instructions on downloading the app are available here - https://support.august.com/how-to-download-the-august-app-rJrU8C3b8.

Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, if you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb Host to make alternative arrangements to access the property.

For further instructions on using your code, click here - https://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z."

I've never had a guest download the app and actually send a follow up message that clears up that they do not have to, but this is just more reading and would not be necessary if the yale/august automated message that you all send was better. Also, if the message was sent prior to check-in, instead right after a guests books, I think that would also be better. 

I hope you all finally get this changed. I can't imagine there are any hosts out there that appreciate an extremely long and confusing message going out to their guests that likely creates more work for them. 

Thanks for your time and consideration on this matter!

Elizabeth

@Airbnb I have contacted all 3 support teams for (August, Yale & Airbnb) and have been told nobody can do anything.  I am also a software developer and know this is a VERY simple thing to fix.  It is fine for August/Yale to create codes.... just do not let them send a message to the guest.

Randon737
Level 1
Kuna, ID

I actually love my Yale lock, but like all of you, was shocked by the first "automated" message.  That's how I found this thread.  I'm discouraged to see how long Airbnb has allowed this issue to go unaddressed with no effort to acknowledge even a failed attempt to address.  @Airbnb can you provide any update or when you will communicate an update?  

For now I guess my only option is to manually manage entry codes.

My two request to Airbnb/Yale are:

1) allow me to edit the automated message

2) allow me to control when the message is sent.

Hannah1008
Level 1
Eugene, OR

@Airbnb please do something! I bought the smartlock from Yale/August for the easy integration and am shocked it is not customizable. I have so many guests who are unable to find their code because of the clunky message Yale sends or who ask why they need to download an app (they don't!). I end up having to send them their personalized code anyways which defeats the purpose of the integration! Please fix this!!

Shannon865
Level 2
Melbourne, FL

Having the same exact issue Kyle,

Airbnb please listen to your hosts. It is actually not even about us, it's in the guest's best interest for you to discontinue or allow us to edit this message.

So frustrating!

Has anyone solved this problem yet? I'm looking for a smart lock solution to automate things, but it seems like the August/Yale/Airbnb still hasn't worked out the kinks. 😕 (I was hoping for a Schlage solution because their button code locks have held up the best for me over the years, but I'll take any lock solution that actually works smoothly.)

Michael7238
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I too find it absolutely frustrating that we cannot customize the message from Yale. I have two door locks on the front and back door to my rental. I can't sync them to provide the same code for both doors, forcing me to change one or not turn on auto msgs. It completely complicates and destroys the point of having these locks!

John6482
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Had another guest today get confused by what code they were supposed to use....FIX THIS YALE!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @John6482 ,

Were you able to reach out to Yale Customer Support for this issue? 

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines