Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

Answered!
Kyler40
Level 5
Ann Arbor, MI

Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

We are new hosts and are using the Yale smart lock with Yale Access and Airbnb integration. Guests guests are now automatically supplied with a unique access code to the lock immediately when confirming a reservation — they can also the Yale/August app for Bluetooth access to the lock. An automated message is sent within the Airbnb message system providing their unique code and explaining the options for accessing the Airbnb lock. Once set up, the functionality is very nice! I’m very impressed! However, I’d like to modify the default message that goes out — it is quite long.

Is it possible to modify the automated message that is sent out about the Yale lock integration and instructions to guests?

1 Best Answer
Adam1623
Level 3
Chicago, IL

MY SOLUTION

So I just spent $1,000 on these locks after hearing the exciting news that they integrated with Airbnb. After setting the first one up I quickly realized how it wasn't going to work well with guests and the obnoxious automated message. Thankfully I do use Guesty to manage my listings. Although I was trying to get away from using a channel manager due to the extra costs, I found that Guesty does exactly what you all are looking for with the automated code messaging. You're able to send messages from Guesty, through Airbnb and customize the timing and message itself. Whew! Guesty will use either the guests last 4 of their phone #, or check in/out dates whichever you set it to. When creating the message, just use the tag (Guest Phone Number - Last 4). I just set this up so as of now I can't confirm how well it works, but Guesty does a very good job with it's messaging platform, so we should be ok.

So for now I'll be keeping the channel manager just for the codes (about $35/mo just for this), but I think it's going to be worth it in order to avoid guest confusion and negative reviews. We still absolutely need Yale and Airbnb to fix this because we shouldn't need to use a separate channel manager just to send codes when there's already an integration set up.

Good luck all!

Adam

View Best Answer in original post

75 Replies 75

Yes, their customer service team simply takes the feedback and sends to a blackhole?  Could you get an Airbnb corporate biz dev person to contact Yale or August?  I'm sure they'd love this kind of feedback from such passionate customers.  

Audrey861
Level 2
Catalina Foothills, AZ

This is so bad. My guests are so confused and some took a star off of review because of that. 

Shannon865
Level 2
Melbourne, FL

I think we found a workaround. At least this has been working for us...

When you integrate the lock and Airbnb from the Yale Access App, make sure you are logged in to the Co-Hosts Airbnb account for the listing before synching. 

The automation still works, the access code is assigned as the last 4-digits of the phone number and automatically synchs with access time according to the reservation, but there is NO long-winded message from Yale at all.

Hopefully this works for some of you sharing the same frustrations!

Wait so I need to make someone a co-host of my airbnb and then use that info to integrate Yale?   Then it will automatically set the code to the airbnb guests phone number?

Has anyone else tried this? 

I just tried this myself — we will see what happens. 

In the process of doing this, I noticed there is a check-box option to select the “LockName” and then also “LockName -Keypad”. This made me wonder if the outcome @Shannon865 described may result from checking only one of these options (I had mine set up with both checked). 

@Shannon865 , did you check both options or only 1? 

Update: if you only select “LockName - Keypad” in the integration setting in the Yale app, you get a shorter and less obnoxious auto message. I still think this should be even shorter and customizable, but it is preferable to asking guests to download the Yale app. 

I wish Airbnb could have looked into this issue even a bit over the past 11 months (!) to provide this partial improvement recommendation. 

did you have to disconnect then reconnect your account under "works with" to do this?I am trying to do this and hitting a roadblock. Thanks for any advice, Kyle! This is hopeful, I guess.

In Yale app, press Works With, then Airbnb, then “Select Locks for this Listing.” From there, click only the option for Keypad. I don’t think you need to disconnect the lock. 

Hi Kyler,

Given you only did the LockName-keypad and got the shorter message, does the auto code still get generated and is the guest still able to enter?

We were told by Yale (via their support) that both LockName and LockName-keypad need to be selected in order for the auto message to work and the keypad to work for the guest.

Martha981
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Just adding my plus one here. The message is horrible and difficult to understand. Please find a solution.

Is someone able to provide the text that is automatically sent? I would like to see how it looks before I purchase the smart moduels.

Do you know if the text is translated in the guest's preferred language?

Thanks

RJ

Hi Remy,

See our post above.

M+O

I saw all these comments right after I had my Yale Assure Lock installed today.  Can anyone please show what the mentioned Yale auto message looks like? 

Hi Kiana,

Check out my post to Kyler with a sample of the email AirBnB sends..

Thanks

Marie and Oliver

Marie-And-Oliver0
Level 2
California, United States

Hi everyone, so we too just installed the Yale Locks and did the integration with AirBnB.

I dont know who wrote this email but its absolutely terrible for our guests and causes so much confusion.

Here is a sample of what gets sent to the guest as soon as they book your property (Look where the access code is buried!!!)

Quote:

"

Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access in two ways: first by simply entering an access code on a keypad or secondly if you prefer, by using our mobile application.

Your access code is 81646. Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: Fri, May 21, 2023 2:00 PM to Sat, May 22, 2023 10:00 AM.

We recommend guests download the August Home app. Instructions on downloading the app are available here - link://support.august.com/how-to-download-the-august-app-rJrU8C3b8.

Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, if you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb Host to make alternative arrangements to access the property.

For further instructions on using your code, click here -link://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z.

"