Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

Answered!
Kyler40
Level 5
Ann Arbor, MI

Modify Yale Access welcome message to guests

We are new hosts and are using the Yale smart lock with Yale Access and Airbnb integration. Guests guests are now automatically supplied with a unique access code to the lock immediately when confirming a reservation — they can also the Yale/August app for Bluetooth access to the lock. An automated message is sent within the Airbnb message system providing their unique code and explaining the options for accessing the Airbnb lock. Once set up, the functionality is very nice! I’m very impressed! However, I’d like to modify the default message that goes out — it is quite long.

Is it possible to modify the automated message that is sent out about the Yale lock integration and instructions to guests?

1 Best Answer
Adam1623
Level 3
Chicago, IL

MY SOLUTION

So I just spent $1,000 on these locks after hearing the exciting news that they integrated with Airbnb. After setting the first one up I quickly realized how it wasn't going to work well with guests and the obnoxious automated message. Thankfully I do use Guesty to manage my listings. Although I was trying to get away from using a channel manager due to the extra costs, I found that Guesty does exactly what you all are looking for with the automated code messaging. You're able to send messages from Guesty, through Airbnb and customize the timing and message itself. Whew! Guesty will use either the guests last 4 of their phone #, or check in/out dates whichever you set it to. When creating the message, just use the tag (Guest Phone Number - Last 4). I just set this up so as of now I can't confirm how well it works, but Guesty does a very good job with it's messaging platform, so we should be ok.

So for now I'll be keeping the channel manager just for the codes (about $35/mo just for this), but I think it's going to be worth it in order to avoid guest confusion and negative reviews. We still absolutely need Yale and Airbnb to fix this because we shouldn't need to use a separate channel manager just to send codes when there's already an integration set up.

Good luck all!

Adam

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76

Yes!!! This message is awful and it's embarrassing to have it be your first contact with a guest when they instant book! Did you figure out how to modify or turn it off? Love my Yale lock but frustrated w/ this message!

Adam1623
Level 3
Chicago, IL

MY SOLUTION

So I just spent $1,000 on these locks after hearing the exciting news that they integrated with Airbnb. After setting the first one up I quickly realized how it wasn't going to work well with guests and the obnoxious automated message. Thankfully I do use Guesty to manage my listings. Although I was trying to get away from using a channel manager due to the extra costs, I found that Guesty does exactly what you all are looking for with the automated code messaging. You're able to send messages from Guesty, through Airbnb and customize the timing and message itself. Whew! Guesty will use either the guests last 4 of their phone #, or check in/out dates whichever you set it to. When creating the message, just use the tag (Guest Phone Number - Last 4). I just set this up so as of now I can't confirm how well it works, but Guesty does a very good job with it's messaging platform, so we should be ok.

So for now I'll be keeping the channel manager just for the codes (about $35/mo just for this), but I think it's going to be worth it in order to avoid guest confusion and negative reviews. We still absolutely need Yale and Airbnb to fix this because we shouldn't need to use a separate channel manager just to send codes when there's already an integration set up.

Good luck all!

Adam

Adam - this sounds like you still have to go manually generate a code to the last 4 phone number digits, right?  Does guesty do this for you as well? 

Hey Cory, sorry just saw your reply now. You don’t have to do anything manually. Guesty can automatically generate the code and push it to the lock. Then you just use the guests last four of their phone number short code in your message. 

Miguel666
Level 2
México D.F., Mexico

Is there a way of completely deactivate the whole message while keeping the code registration?

Cory199
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Just wanted to add a plus 1 here!  The workarounds either don't work or don't scratch the itch. Quite odd to have an automated message that is obviously unworkable as a host. It's embarrassing to send that message out!   

Jason2198
Level 1
Langley, Canada

As a new host on here, I am very disappointed. We invested in the Yale lock system and the integration seems to work well but agree with all the comments that the autogenerated message to customers is terrible.

The fact that it has not been resolved in over a year speaks to me as a new host that there really isn't a lot of host support like Airbnb claims to have.

I shouldn't have to get a third-party app to address this issue!

Placed a call to tech support and was told they will log my concerns but after over a year that means nothing as clearly Airbnb is not going to do anything about this.

Disappointed at the customer service level here!

Todd480
Level 2
Bremerton, WA

I set up a scheduled message to send to the guest at the time of booking, and it's delivered before the automated Yale message, allowing me to regulate our guests' first impression. At the end of the booking email, I include, "You will receive an automated message from our smart lock provider shortly." This helps mitigate the confusion of the Yale message. I haven't received a single complaint about it yet, but, like everyone else on this thread, I would really love to be able to customize the Yale message. It's very clumsy and confusing, especially the part about virtual keys.

"Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, if you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb Host to make alternative arrangements to access the property."

I see what you mean but now it just looks like one super long message.

i

Hi Todd, I'm new to this. When I click on Menu, a link to "settings" does not appear. Any clues?

Thanks,

Yvonne

Hi everyone on this long running thread and to @Airbnb (if they are reading these).

Firstly I agree with everyone here, the messaging is awful, and needs sorting out between Airbnb and Yale. It has gone on too long.

I have an even worse problem with it though, when the lock is offline (which happens too often for more liking), at the time a booking is made.

The GUEST (not me) gets the below message, which I'm sure you'll all agree is sooo much better than the normal one 🙂

Even after getting the lock back online (usually by restarting the bridge device) there seems to be no way to get the integration to retry.

Do read carefully from the middle of the 4th paragraph to see what the issue is here. Happy reading. I've just raised with Yale support, will let you all know if I get a sensible answer (or otherwise).

Airbnb has partnered with Yale Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access using our mobile application.

Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: xxxxx to xxxxx.

We recommend guests download the Yale Home app.

Alternatively, the property is set up to allow use of a personal code on a keypad. Unfortunately, we are currently experiencing technical difficulties enabling the keypad code for your stay. Hosts might be able to remedy this situation.

To remedy this situation, ensure:

1. your Wi-Fi bridge is plugged in and connected to your home network or alternately your smart lock with native Wi-Fi is connected to your home network

2. your Internet connection is active

3. your smart lock has enough power to operate

Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, if you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb Host to make alternative arrangements to access the property.

Are you saying that whole bit about how to remedy the problem is sent to the guests?! 

I was having issues w my lock going offline and draining battery so much that my lock wouldn't even hold battery for an entire stay. So they sent me an external bridge that plugs into an outlet instead of the built in one that uses the batteries. This is brand new so we'll see if it fixes the battery draining issue.  

My messages in Airbnb from Yale lock NEVER sent those error messages to my guests. I have setup to only use a code (not the app) for Airbnb guests so my message never says anything encouraging them to download the app. It's a long and wordy message about the code and partnership etc. But thankfully it doesn't go into downloading the app. And thankfully they never see that troubleshooting content that you posted yours is saying. Mine just doesn't send anything to Airbnb messaging if it can't generate a code. I get an email/alert that it attempted to create a code for a guest but it couldn't connect and create that code. 

My solution if you don't want to pay for a 3rd party messaging product is to turn the settings to only use codes for guests, not to use the option of a code or the app. It simplifies it some even though it's still much too wordy. 

This is the message my guests receive:

Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access by simply entering a personal entry code on a keypad.

Your access code is ------. Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: Sun, month, day 2023 3:00 PM to Wed, month, day 2023 11:00 AM.

If you are interested in making other arrangements, please contact your Airbnb Host.

For further instructions on using your code, click here - https://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z.

As far as I can tell from the outbound messages in my Airbnb Inbox, yes, that entire message seems to go to the guest!

I will have to look into changing to Keypad only. I can't see any way to alter the integration without Disconnecting first and then reconnecting. Is that the way to go does anyone know? Hopefully there's no impact on existing future codes already set...

@Paul10454 It may very well delete the existing ones but I don't know if that impacts a large volume for you or not. I also don't know if this can be done remotely or if you need to be within Bluetooth range.