Please make "fragrance-free" a filter

Answered!
Brian450
Level 10
Tempe, AZ

Please make "fragrance-free" a filter

There is now a HUGE number of people who are fragrance-sensitive or have MCS. I'm one of them.

The odours of conventional cleaning products, air fresheners, dryer sheets, etc. make me sick. They give me headaches, burning eyes, feelings of tightness and tingling, respiratory irritation, heart palpitations, nausea, dry mouth and many other symptoms. I've had more than one vacation ruined by fragranced bedrooms that were making me ill. Surveys indicate that about one-third of the population in the US and other countries is fragrance-sensitive or has MCS or prefers fragrance-free spaces.

Please AirBnB stop ignoring this incredibly large group of people. You currently have filters for 13 different accessibility features. Could you PLEASE add another one, "fragrance-free"? Fragrance-free properties actually exist, it's just that you can't easily find them, at least not on the airbnb site itself. (Google search can be used as a workaround, but it's far from perfect.) Thanks!

1 Best Answer

I can see why you would think that, because you are probably picturing the people who would use this feature as entitled white ladies who put too much faith in Gwyneth Paltrow's take on medicine. In truth, they are people with conditions like MCAS who need to travel and are grateful for any accomodations that aren't a total assault on their bodies. Because of that, as long as the host makes the accomodations the say they will (e.g., no scented products and cleaning with safer products) they can expect very positive reviews.

For example, the only fragrance free Airbnb I know of is near Sedona, is always booked, and has great ratings.

In my own experience, I have managed to find a number of hosts who were willing to work with my medical issues, and we have always been on good terms because the accommodations I asked for were relatively easy (see above) and even though I wasn't perfectly comfortable, I felt much better then I would have in an ordinary hotel or Airbnb. But a fragrance free filter would have saved me SO MUCH work contacting hosts and explaining my medical needs.

The only time I have ever heard of a person leaving a bad review was when a woman was repeatedly assured by a host that the room used unscented laundry detergent and no scented air fresheners, which turned out to be completely untrue.

As for the other points like the healthy bed (i.e. A bed that doesn't off gas the VOCs that trigger our symptoms), those are things that would make a space even better for many, but I don't think anyone would expect those things just because a place is listed as fragrance free.

I think you are also underestimating the prevalence of these conditions because people with them usually don't mention them. People who report any degree of problems with fragrances are about 20% of the population (mostly headaches and such) and severe sensitivities are about 2%. That means a number of hosts may already be practicing fragrance free cleaning of their properties, but are unable to communicate it with the large numbers of clients who would love to rent such a space. At one rental I checked out in 2021, I spoke to a cleaning lady and asked if she could use mostly vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda to clean. She replied that those were all she used because her son was "sensitive to chemicals."

View Best Answer in original post

184 Replies 184

I respectfully disagree. A host absolutely cannot use fragranced products and then wash linens in fragrance-free products "upon request" and expect it to have any impact for chemically sensitive. Ditto for dishwasher detergents and ANY other sources of fragrance. Fragrances do not wash out without being stripped with repeated soaks and launderings with borax, washing soda or baking soda. Sometimes they cannot be washed out. Period. And even if linens could be successfully neutralized the old fragrance has permeated the mattress and other textiles. Hosts really must commit to a no fragrances used anywhere policy. Because other guests' left behind fragrances are going to pose enough of a risk to the MCS guest. Thank you for the link.

Lindsey359
Level 1
Washington, DC

Hi! I would love these kind of filters for fragrance, emf, non-toxic, and environmental concerns. If they are able to specify if they have air or water purifiers would help too. These things will really help those with allergies, health conditions, chemical sensitivities and other concerns.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brian450 @Linda3636 

this is a very interesting and, for many people very important topic.

I have a few questions:

1. I use a laundry service for my Airbnb laundry and they use a detergent with a very mild scent, barely noticeable. ( We really can't wash STR sheets and towels without any detergent because it is often stained)

2. My cleaner uses vinegar to clean the glass, bathroom and the kitchen but ordinary detergents for the toilet, and the bathtub. What do you use instead? (the bathtub is sometimes greasy bc people use body oils, oily soaps etc... and vinegar isn't strong enough)

3. What do you use to wash the dishes? We don't have a dishwasher (cooktop, pots and frying pans are sometimes so heavily  stained that we should use very aggressive chemicals and a metal sponge to scrub them)

Other than that, we don't have air fresheners and mop the floors with water and a drop of dishwasher liquid. We also always clean with all windows wide open for at least 2 hours, even during the winter. The only carpet we have is in the living room and it is made of natural cord material so any stains could be easily wiped with a sponge and water.

Would it work for you? Theoretically?

Thank you for asking! I wouldn't make a reservation based on the consistent use of scented laundry detergent and the other regular cleaners being used in the bathroom and toilet. The scented laundry detergent will permeate the pillows and mattress and the bathroom cleaners will permeate the curtains/shower curtain, etc. I could bring all of my own stuff, but then all those smells would permeate my stuff. Unfortunately, the chemical residues don't automagically disappear once the products aren't being used. It takes time, and sometimes, the effects are only minimally lessened, never removed. I used to use all the fragranced stuff, too, and had to dispose of many things once I changed my lifestyle habits.

1) For laundry, I now use a fragrance-free detergent that I purchase in bulk at our local refill store (prior to finding that, I mostly used baking soda and white vinegar - but for whites, I'd use hydrogen peroxide), white vinegar is my fabric softener (the smell leaves once the item dries), and wool dryer balls in the dryer, or I hang certain items outdoors to dry. Using the white vinegar also eliminated the need to do a special cleaning session in our High Efficiency washing machine. When I used regular Tide detergent and Downy fabric softener prior to having MCS, there would be a nasty smell that I then had to buy yet another fragranced product to run in a special cycle just to "clean" the machine. After switching to white vinegar, that smell never returned and the machine stayed clean. The scent that to you and most non-MCS folks is barely noticeable would be super noticeable and problematic to someone like me and most other MCS/TILT folks. That's where the comparison of telling someone with a nut allergy that you only tossed a few in the recipe comes into play - or telling someone in a wheelchair that they only have a few steps to go up. It's similar to having someone tell us that it's "just a light scent", or "I only used a little fragrance".

2) For the toilet and tub, I personally use white vinegar that's been infused with citrus peels from the oranges/grapefruits/lemons/limes that I consume for at least 2 weeks, and mixed with the fragrance-free liquid dish detergent that I also buy in bulk at my local refill store. It's approximately a 3:1 ratio of vinegar to dish soap. It cleans better than ANY store bought product I used to buy.

3) For dishes - we wash the old school way by hand - and use a fragrance-free dish detergent I buy in bulk at our local refill shop. I've seen commercial products of dish detergent (Field Day is a brand that comes to mind) as well as laundry detergents (Seventh Generation and Charlie's are two brands that come to mind) that are also fragrance-free in regular stores and online, but choose to use the refill shop to lessen the plastic waste and shorten the supply chain as well.

I also recently purchased Norwex brand enviro-cloth, dust mit, ceiling fan duster, and window cloth and have found they clean the windows better than the vinegar/water solution I was using before. No streaks left behind and all I need is enough water to dampen the cloth. The dust mit is super helpful in cleaning blinds and the furniture. I used to have to dust a couple times a week, but have only had to dust once in the last 3 weeks. They have many products that only require water and no other chemicals. I wouldn't purchase their detergents, cleaning pastes, etc., though, due to them containing fragrance.

Additionally, I know that disinfecting surfaces is a major concern, especially in these times of the pandemic worries. Hydrogen peroxide is a great fragrance-free solution when used correctly. Here's an article from a hospital in Cleveland, Ohio that explains it further:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-is-hydrogen-peroxide-good-for/

Copied and pasted from the article:

Disinfect

Move your peroxide from the medicine cabinet to the cleaning cabinet. It’s a great alternative to bleach and won’t make your house smell like a swimming pool.

Use peroxide in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves. “There’s a chance of toxicity if you inhale it, and it can irritate the skin and eyes,” Dr. Beers says.

To disinfect, first clean any visible dirt or grime off the area with plain soap and water. Then spray surfaces with a 50/50 mix of peroxide and water. Let it sit for five minutes or longer. Rinse surfaces that touch food, like cutting boards, but let other surfaces air dry.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great germ-killer for:

• Bathtubs, sinks and showers.
  • Counters.
  • Cutting boards.
  • Doorknobs.
  • Garbage cans.
  • Mirrors.
  • Refrigerators.
  • Toilets.
  • Toys.

“Peroxide kills bacteria, fungi and viruses,” Dr. Beers explains. “It can come in handy if you don’t have disinfecting wipes or bleach. Just be careful not to get it on your clothes or furniture, or it may bleach them.”

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for being interested in finding solutions and making spaces safer for everyone to more safely be able to partake in.

Could your cleaners use bleach instead of laundry detergent just like hotels? I bring my own sheets but bleach wouldn’t permeate them like scented laundry. I don’t think a mildly scented laundry detergent exists to me tide free and clear is slightly too scented. Borax and baking soda is so much cheaper than tide anyway. 

Hydrogen peroxide makes a great bathroom cleaner

There is also a product that is called earth worm that uses enzymes works wonders! 

Bleach is hideous and not better than laundry soap it's a terrible toxic chemical. I had to deal with a bleach contamination in the bathroom with an apartment that I rented couldn't even go in the bathroom after 2 cleanings. I found out from a chemical engineer that 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide will neutralize bleach fumes. I always carry 3% hot food grade hydrogen peroxide when I travel because many bathrooms smell like it because they require my law in some places to clean bathrooms with bleach

Thoughtful response and suggestions from Linda. I second that. Would not consider staying at this property. Last time I used airbnb (many years ago) host thought she was accommodating, but fragranced trash bags were relatively new and permeated the living spaces. I had carried my own fragrance free dishwasher detergent, dish soap in addition to all personal products and MY OWN SHEETS and pillow. Not enough! Previous bedding fragrance permeated mattress and made me miserable. Subsequently, I began carrying my own trash bags in addition to the above to hotels. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Thank you @Linda3636  for taking the time to explain.

Unfortunately, I can not request any special detergent to be used by my laundry service. They use their own product and we have no choice. But at least they don't use any dryer sheets 🙂 I don't think they are even available to buy here, never saw them in the store.

We are hosting 6 years already with about 3600 guests and nobody ever complained about the sheets smelling too strong .

in Croatia, 3% Hydrogen peroxide can only be bought in the pharmacy (15€ per 1 l which is very expensive when you use it so often) or as a hair product that is very fragranced and gelly.

I know we can buy eco laundry detergent without smell but I have no idea if there is any fragrance-free dish soap available to buy here, out of curiosity, I will look the next time I go shopping. I wonder if it costs more than the regular one I am buying (if available).

I am not allergic to smells but I also don't like air fresheners and fabric softeners. I remember when I was pregnant, all artificial fragrances smelled bad to me 🙂

Cheapest fragrance free laundry is mollys suds pods from Amazon. 
365 unscented laundry detergent works too

dish soap is planet free and clear at Amazon or whole foods 

basically 7th generation makes it all too 

‘if you care free and clear dishwasher pods work the best 

just look for products that say free and clear

hand soap is at Whole Foods too

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

This is an extremely intriguing and interesting topic. In over 6 years of hosting I have just come across this for the first time with a recent guest, so it is very topical for me.

I have looked it up on Wikipedia where it describes MCS as 'an unrecognised and controversial diagnosis' and states that 'MCS is not recognised as an organic, chemical-caused illness by the World Health Organisation, American Medical Association, nor any of several other professional medical organisations. Blinded clinical trials show that people with MCS react as often and as strongly to placebos as they do to chemical stimuli; the existence and severity of symptoms is seemingly related to the perception that a chemical stimuli is present'.

It also does not appear to be listed as a condition on SIGN, which is the main healthcare guidance authority in Scotland, which is my domicile.

Strong smells are certainly an unpleasant recurrent issue, and they can be quite an issue with short turnarounds when previous guests have left smells in the apartment, especially having to open the windows for a long time in the cold winter months. Smells can be very hard to get rid of, and are as problematic for a successful turnaround for new guests as when previous guests leave a big mess. Perfumes, after-shave and bacon are the main culprits ! However I don't feel that I can dictate what people wear or what they cook when staying at one of my places.

It certainly sounds like a very nasty condition and suffered by a great many people, and I have every sympathy with those who are affected. Finding suitable places to stay must be a nightmare.  However while it does not yet appear to be a globally recognised condition by the health authorities it cannot make sense for Airbnb to introduce new host rules in this area, nor expect compliance and / or punishments for guests who choose to wear fragrances in an accommodation. This would require a far greater shift in public awareness and compliance requirements across the whole global hospitality industry.

My recent guest had discussed her intolerances to animals and chemical substances with me in advance. I agreed with her how everything would be provided for her stay, and we went through things again when she first arrived. This all appeared to be to her total satisfaction. As other hosts have previously suggested this approach would seem to me to be the only way to go with this just now, at the least until such time as it becomes an acknowledged serious condition by the global health authorities, and worldwide hospitality compliance measures and public awareness campaigns would then be required.

I would suggest leaving medical debates out of this entirely, and see it as a social issue. There is a fairly large group of people who is made extremely uncomfortable by something that is quite common and  many hosts think of as an unqualified plus.

Well-meaning hosts think they're doing guests a favor by spraying air freshener and using scented detergents and dryer sheet on linens, but for a group of people, the effect is the exact opposite of what is intended. Instead of feeling more comfortable, they feel less comfortable, and they may even be unable to stay in the place at all.

It shouldn't matter whether these people have a medical issue or what the anonymous authors of a website that anyone can edit think about it. It's should be a matter of simple humanity and compassion to address something that bothers a great number of people. 

If AirBnB introduced a fragrance-free filter and sent out a few educational emails on the subjects, a lot of hosts would suddenly realize that spraying Febreze, washing linens in Tide and drying them with Bounce means that some people will be extremely uncomfortable in their space. They might even do a little reading and realize, even without the help of the global health authorities, that those scented products are harming everyone, and the environment, and decide to no longer use them.

Nothing could be simpler. Introduce the checkbox. Make compliance voluntary to address concerns about money-back abuse. Create awareness of why this is needed. We can create a better world and be kinder to each other without Wikipedia's permission.

@Brian450  You're not really engaging on the main challenge with 'fragrance free' which is that it is wholly subjective and cannot be objectively measured.  Even 'fragrance free' cleaners have some scent.  Baking soda has a scent and so does vinegar.  Yes, hosts could check that they don't use plug ins or air freshener spray, list what cleaners are used, but beyond that, it is in the eye of the beholder, and this is the problem.  If I check that my space is 'fragrance free' and then someone complains about fragrance, then I am the one on the defensive.  This means that despite the fact that we don't use pesticides in the yard, don't use plug-ins, don't use odious fabric softener and could change from the Tide we use to something else, I would never ever list my property as 'fragrance free' because it is begging for some complaint down the road.  I would also never recommend that any other hosts list their space as fragrance free for the same reason.

@Mark116  I agree with what you said, but I also think @Brian450 is being very reasonable here. He is not requesting a 100% fragrance free place and understands it would be hard to provide. All he asks is some filter for places where air fresheners, dryer sheets and too strong laundry detergents are not used. Even my place would probably be acceptable for him without any special effort from my side.

But expecting 100% fragrance-free place with a lot of human traffic is unrealistic and hyper-sensitive people will always suffer there. Guests are using their own cosmetic products and even if we wash everything with peroxide and soda we can't guarantee the place will always be smell-free. I am happy if guests don't cook curry or fry fish and if they open the window at least 1x per day 🙂

"You're not really engaging on the main challenge with 'fragrance free' which is that it is wholly subjective and cannot be objectively measured.  "

I already responded to this criticism. AirBnB could easily institute a policy for "soft accommodations". These are accommodations that are too subjective to determine objectively whether they were met or not. By checking the box for a soft accommodation, the host merely indicates a willingness to make a best effort, but does not enter into an enforceable agreement. 

You are making my case for my by recommending that hosts should never list "fragrance-free" as a feature. Many are fragrance-free, but don't dare to advertise these because they fear abuse and liability.

That is precisely why we need official soft accommodations, so hosts can signal good faith without accepting liability.

The problem is the system of "defensive hosting" that we have now that does not permit hosts to advertise that their property is fragrance-free. The solution is to absolve hosts of responsibility for a fragrance-free claim so that the claim can be made.