Propane fire pits

Answered!
Georgette53
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Propane fire pits

Hi I am thinking about adding a propane fire pit in the back yard for guests to use vs a wood fire pit. With wood, I’m concerned about the smoke getting into the house and making things smell of campfire. I am wonder how people who have propane fire pits, manage their tanks? It says they can last 4-8 hours depending on how high you have it. Should I provide one full tank per guest? And what do I do if guests don’t use a full tank. I don’t want to have a bunch of half tanks in my shed either. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

**[Title edited for clarity by Community Manager] 

1 Best Answer

Thank you! That is a good point. There is currently a wood burning fire pit on the property. What are your thoughts on it? Again, I would have to supply at least a bit of firewood but I can stock up and keep it in the shed. I’m concerned about the smell that might get into the house and into the furniture and such. Is that even a real concern?

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Georgette53 ,

Dealing with gas tanks can be a headache. You'll need to ensure that every guest has enough gas, and if they run out, they'll likely ask you to replace it at awkward hours. Unless you provide them with a spare tank, which introduces a new hazard of misuse and improper installation (you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to operate them). Now, you'll have yet another thing to prepare for each guest, and providing a new tank for each guest doesn't make sense to me.

Not to mention, you'll have to carry it around, arrange for supply, and schedule time for the delivery of new tanks.
For me, the benefit of having this amenity doesn't justify the time, money, and energy spent on it.

Thank you! That is a good point. There is currently a wood burning fire pit on the property. What are your thoughts on it? Again, I would have to supply at least a bit of firewood but I can stock up and keep it in the shed. I’m concerned about the smell that might get into the house and into the furniture and such. Is that even a real concern?

Hello @Georgette53 ,

it depends on the wind direction. It's better to place it after the house rather than before, according to the wind. I think that a few good steps away from your house will be enough, as long as you're not too close to your neighbors or near anything that can  easily burn like a wooden floor or fence.  I would try it out once without guests to see how it goes before offering it to my guests.

Firewood is much easier to supply.
Consider adding instructions in your house manual (for example, not to leave unattended, not to use paper or liquids, etc.), and if you really want to be safe, consider getting a fire extinguisher and such.

Thank you!

@Georgette53. Georgette, in my experience guests wont worry about the smell of smoke if they made it. Just make sure its at least 5m from the edge of house with good clearance around and laminated instructions with pictures on how to light the fire and as @Guy991 mentions, make sure its in the house manual and ask to close house doors if worried. If its really windy they wont stay out there long.

Bushfire season runs 6 months of the year here now (not everyone complies).  Rest of year we change the area out to have market umbrellas and lounge chairs so a multi use space.

That’s a good point. Thank you!