Safeguarding My Belongings in my Airbnb – Seeking Advice

Answered!
Aneesh22
Level 1
Kochi, India

Safeguarding My Belongings in my Airbnb – Seeking Advice

Hey Community,

I hope you're all doing well. I've encountered a recurring issue over the past few months since I've filled my Airbnb space with books. On a few occasions, I've noticed some of my books mysteriously disappearing, and I've also experienced the disappearance of small curios and idols. Has anyone else faced a similar situation, and if so, how did you handle it? I'm eager to hear about your experiences and any tips you might have to prevent such incidents. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your responses!

Love a ton!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My advice would be don't put anything in your listing that is valuable or emotionally precious to you in case it gets broken/stolen @Aneesh22 

When you show your guests around do you remind them that they are welcome to read your books and enjoy your ornaments, but they are not to be taken away. You can also include this guidance in your visitor guide. You could also say that guests will be charged to replace any missing items such as books/curio's.

I''ve not had this happen as nine years of being a host in a shared home setting but can understand how horrible this must be.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Hello. My books are available for anyone to take home. Taking other things is disappointing. Best advice I can offer is to put them away. Good luck. 

Thanks guy for the inputs. I think I will keep a tab on the books. I lost a Directory and  Murakami book 🙂

Thanks again

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My advice would be don't put anything in your listing that is valuable or emotionally precious to you in case it gets broken/stolen @Aneesh22 

When you show your guests around do you remind them that they are welcome to read your books and enjoy your ornaments, but they are not to be taken away. You can also include this guidance in your visitor guide. You could also say that guests will be charged to replace any missing items such as books/curio's.

I''ve not had this happen as nine years of being a host in a shared home setting but can understand how horrible this must be.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Aneesh22 In 4 years the only items missing were two USB wall chargers but other guest left one as well. They have left a few books and haven't taken any. Maybe only have about 10 for guest so they know it will be more obvious they are missing. I've never had a towel stolen either. Some recent guest messaged me offering to mail back a floor mat towel they packed by accident. I told them not to worry about it. Maybe the only other things was a corning ware food container but can't be sure as I may have used it. After 400 guest no complaints there.