Shared Bathroom with Two Doors Dilemma: Main Door Always Gets Locked from Inside by Another Guest

Chenxi7
Level 1
Redlands, CA

Shared Bathroom with Two Doors Dilemma: Main Door Always Gets Locked from Inside by Another Guest

The 2bd 1ba townhouse was built in 1980, seemingly perfect for a couple, but the current arrangement has become problematic. I'm seeking advice on optimizing bathroom usage.

I have two to three people sharing the same bathroom. This bathroom has two entrances - one side door that connects directly to Tenant #1's master bedroom and the main door that opens into the hallway, making it accessible for Tenant #2 and guests. The issue we're facing is that when Tenant #1 exits the bathroom, she heads straight into her master bedroom and often forgets to unlock the hallway door. This results in Tenant #2 having to use keys to unlock the door multiple times a week, which understandably frustrates them. Tenant #1 keeps forgetting about unlocking the door, human errors are inevitable...

One measure I've taken is putting up a sign in the bathroom, but it appears to bother the tenants as nobody wants their living space to feel like a public area filled with signs. They want to feel at home.

One potential solution that has been suggested is to disable the private door between the master bedroom and the bathroom.

Please provide any tips or tricks you may have to efficiently manage this bathroom situation, as I'd like to ensure a harmonious living environment for everyone.

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The easiest solution is to lock the door going to the master bedroom.  @Chenxi7