Showing homes don't have security cameras, on the listing

Cathy899
Level 10
Florence, OR

Showing homes don't have security cameras, on the listing

During my weekly review of my listing, I noticed that the fact that our home has no security cameras is prominently listed to the public.

I understand why it's listed but it seems like listing that security cameras are not on the property, raises the risk of a break in or some other nefarious activity.

Could Airbnb please review if this can be removed or listed as optional at the hosts discretion? How do others feel about this? Thanks.

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cathy899 

Seems an important item to bring to the attention of Airbnb: Airbnb Feedback 

Good idea! Done.

Genaro18
Level 6
Fort Lauderdale, FL

This is beyond stunning.

I definitely agree that Airbnb can be so myopic with policy, they endanger people in the name of safety. 

This is a new level of stupid. 

Prominently draw attention to property that DOES NOT have security cameras.

VRBO and Booking.com need to get their commercials writing staffs ready for this one. 

YES, we need to all submit feedback, but also social media, this should be handled before someone gets their fortunes cleaned out, or worse, a home invasion. 

PS: and no one should ever expect a word of utterance from Airbnb about it either way. Our best hope is for it to just discreetly ~~vanish~~~ like so many other policies and rules do. . . . ~~~anyone still think guests need photo ID? . . .. good, you keep believing that . . . . you'll find out . . . 

Reality: Go get one security camera immediately, buy the cheapest one, and it doesn't matter if it does the total job up to standards, it simply must be "a security camera" - not to protect you directly - 

SO YOU CAN CHECK THE **bleep** CAMERA BOX and get OFF that list immediately.

A host in my area mingles a lot of them together . . . I mean $20? . . just for additional safety, like the owl on the roof . . .

https://tinyurl.com/yd269suu

Genaro

@Genaro18 - that's our plan...go get a security camera and check the box, but I would also like to hear from Airbnb on this.  I think the way they have it set up currently, increases security risk to host AND guest.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cathy899 @Genaro18 @Emiel1 

Well, I bet I know what prompted this - I suspect it is a typical Airbnb knee jerk reaction to this :

https://www.insider.com/texas-airbnb-host-secretly-filmed-guests-naked-having-sex-police-allege-2022...

@Sarah977  I hope that guy does some serious prison time, but doesn't Airbnb already have a filter for cameras?  or maybe not.  That's fine, I would pay close attention to where any cameras are anywhere I rented because it is invasive, but then again, if I had a listing that was a solo house in a remote location I would feel it absolutely necessary to have exterior cameras.

I bet you’re right. Thanks for the link.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Genaro18  I had a look at your listing and expected to see this new thing pasted right near the top, but I only found it as a crossed out thing at the bottom of the amenities list.

I'd hazard a guess many guests never even read that far, and random thieves looking for properties to hit aren't going to.

They started doing that a couple years ago with smoke alarms and CO detectors, which pissed me off. Makes it look like the host is  negligent and isn't concerned with guest safety, when in fact, it's because there isn't any possible source of CO and in my case, the house construction is all concrete and tile- it can't catch fire. And I'm in the tropics, there's not even any heating source that could cause a fire.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Genaro 18, I wonder which type of outdoor camera people recommend. In our area recently thieves have been targeting lock boxes at known Airbnbs and stealing keys . We had our lockbox cracked open and the key stolen and changed all locks.We have a carbon monoxide detector not because there is danger as we have our heaters checked routinely, but because in our part of the world people have died.H. Is it possible to say temporarily that you have a camera even if you dont.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

We changed the locks not the thieves H