Smart locks

Smart locks

Hello, looking into upgrading my lock system. Want a smart lock with capabilities to remotely change the key code and have timer settings. Please give specific models that have worked out for you. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read!

15 Replies 15

@Deanne62 I use Remotelock for my units and it appears to be a suitable choice for Airbnb hosts looking to upgrade their lock system with smart capabilities since it allows you to manage and control access remotely. You can create and change key codes remotely, providing each guest with a unique code. This enhances security as you can easily manage who has access to your property. Also, there's ability to set timer settings for each code is particularly useful for Airbnb rentals. You can set codes to expire after a guest's stay, ensuring that access is only granted for the duration of their booking. Hope this helps! 

@Alicia753 Is remote lock a software system more so than a lock that I can buy? I looked at the website and it looks like it’s not a self install system. 

@Deanne62 yes, it is a software-based system that has like a cloud-based access control. Depending on the smart lock you choose, installation might require professional assistance, especially if it involves complex integration with existing lock systems or if you are not comfortable with DIY installations. There are many other smart lock products available but it is important to assess your specific needs for your listing. 🙂 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Deanne62, this is indeed a fantastic topic, and our Hosts have previously shared some brilliant ideas. I am sharing 👉here a few discussions about smart locks.

Additionally, 👉here is a great thread where experienced Hosts were emphasizing the importance of providing clear instructions for smart locks.

I'm reaching out to  @Dani12768@Ambrozene0@William2196@Brenda1434 and @Chris18531 to invite them to share their insights.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Brenda1434
Level 1
Tuscaloosa, AL

Hi @Deanne62  - I have experience with two smart lock brands.  The first - Kwikset halo was a nightmare - fortunately I convinced Kwikset to refund the cost of the locks.  The problem was the battery life and reliability.  Having a guest locked out one time is a bad day and difficult recovery.   I switched to Schlage and they’ve been solid for about 6 months I’ve been using them. You do have to keep an eye on the battery life still but they last- just now replacing the batteries in one.  The others are over 50%.   Setting new lock codes and integration with property management system is easy.  Also - it’s smart to have another way into the property should the lock have a problem.  I have a lock box on the properties for emergency manual key entry.  For this reason I would not go with a smart lock that has no key.  Good luck!

Oh and as an aside - I did the installations myself - no issues.

@Brenda1434 Are you referring to the Schlage encode? Or which model did you use?

@Deanne62 Sorry for the delay!  Yes, Schlage encode.  

Hi @Deanne62 

We have used both Schlage Encode and Yale Assure locks. Both worked well and have remote lock access through an app. I have heard some complaints about the Schlage not doing well in very humid environments (beach), but we did not experience that as the climate where it was installed is not humid. Agree with other comments that you should always have a backup key somewhere on the property.

Yale

Some of the Yale locks require a Wifi Bridge module and others connect directly to Wifi. The Yale that connects directly to Wifi doesn't seem to have good battery life; especially if your Wi-Fi signal is weak. Some of the Yale locks do not a backup key feature. If the battery dies and the keypad doesn't function, there is no way to open the lock with a backup key. You have to use a 9-volt battery (connectors under the lock case) to temporarily power the keypad.

Airbnb Smart Lock Integration Within App

Airbnb says that in US and Canada they will be offering smart lock integration within the App itself starting with Schlage locks. Yale and August locks to follow. I haven't seen it yet though.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Deanne62 

I’ve been using Schlage Encod for over 3 years. It’s integrated with Airbnb through Smart Lock. It all works flawlessly. But had the first encode replaced under factory warranty after 2.5 years and last week submitted warranty claim on the second one. The issue is condensation on the inside of the lock in very hot humid environments. This summer I noticed some error codes the lock was still working but the inside battery cover was dripping wet with condensation. I drilled small holes in the battery cover to let it dry that worked pretty well and when cleaning would remove the cover to let it dry out more. I read on Reddit they claimed to have addressed this. I’m waiting for response hopefully will send new lock. I picked up a used like new one on Amazon and installed that and put in a rubber tape to block outside air and will vent again. I think the last one was already damaged from too much condensation. Sorry for bad report as it’s otherwise flawless. My first Schlage that worked on Z wave hub is still going strong after 6 years but doesn’t have app and have to program manually but I did use that one for the first year. I also keep back up key in lock box. Never needed it but just in case. 

@Christie244 @Deanne62 

Just an update. Schlage is really good about honoring their warranty.

"Hello John, 

Thanks for reaching out to Schlage Support! I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your Schlage lock. I have ordered a replacement lock and you should be receiving it within the next 7-10 business days".

This is the second claim I filed for the same Encode I bought 4 years ago. The first one was 2.5 years after purchase.  I purchased another Encode from Home Depot then filed the claim. They sent me a check for the full price of 
 the first lock. This second one I just requested them to send a new lock which they are. I file the claim via their Email. Send pic of the front and back. This last one was still working but the lock motor didn't sound as strong and only said 94% battery life on new batteries. As mentioned it got really wet from condensation on the inside battery cover. I don't know how well other locks would hold up. I did read a comment that Yale had something to prevent the condensation. I'm gonna drill a few vent holes on the side of the front cover and put a rubber tape to seal off the air from the outside. Honestly I would just change one any smart lock every 3 years.and keep one as a backup. 

The battery life is good at least 6 months and still have over 70% life when I change them out. 

This is really harsh climate. Even AC units last half expected life especially closer to the ocean. 

@Ling611 @Deanne62 This is what I’m looking for as well. My airbnbs and my own apt are in Florida near water and humidity is hellacious so sounds like Schlage might not work. My apt has KwikSet which I love. Long battery (still at 90% after a year) and you can program countless access codes but it’s loud as hell. It would be hard to sneak in using the keypad! Might have been the install though. Hadn’t heard of AirBnB integration. Does this allow them to offer emergency lockout solutions if host can’t be contacted? If someone could send me a link to info about this I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Btw, I have all KwikSet (smart, or just handle and dead bolt) because I’ve found the rekeying feature a lifesaver. I’ve rekeyed my locks over and over and it’s a nice feature because I want to be able to offer key or keyless entry for my guests. I have cafe lights all around my property but for those who can’t see well in low light i leave keys in the apartments. With rekey feature you can keep keys new. 

نواف1
Level 2
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

thx