The Best Paint Colors for Airbnb

Answered!
Mark8
Level 3
Boston, MA

The Best Paint Colors for Airbnb

Hi Airbnb Community,

I am a 10-year Airbnb Superhost and now Ambassador.  In addition to my Airbnb gig, I am also a color and design enthusiast.  I thought it would be fun to discuss different paint color options for Airbnb rentals.  What are your favorite colors, how do your guests respond and how you feel about color as a host.  I look forward to the conversation.

s.jpeg

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark8 

I could probably talk about paint colours all day. A lot of hosts would probably say stick to neutrals in an Airbnb, or even just white, but I don't agree. Then again, I host in my own home, so I pretty much decorate for myself, but the guests seem to really like it.

At the moment, most of my house is painted in pale colours, like very light blue or very light grey but there are pops of colour in wallpaper on feature walls and in the furnishings. The bathroom is currently a darker grey, but the only room I've gone for a bold colour is this guest room:

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-028-1200x1800.jpg

In this photo it actually looks quite similar to the colour @Quincy mentioned, but it's hard to tell on screen. I think the blue changes a lot depending on the light. This colour is Little Greene Airforce Blue.

I definitely want to use more colour/deeper colours in the house and have a very plans, but I keep changing my mind.

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-038-1200x781.jpgThe grey bathroom is due for a refresh and I was planning on going for the pale coffee colour I've used in one of the other bedrooms, but now I am thinking pink! I really like the idea of a pale, subtle (not too sugary) pink in there which I think will make it feel warmer and help the new tiles, which are a Zelige style, to stand out. I am thinking something along these lines, and also of painting the window frames black to tie in with the black chandelier:

e96b853d979e4a300b889637cca4274e.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark8! Last year, I saw a Host post an update about having done some maintenance work in their kitchen. I fell in love with the colour they had chosen for the kitchen cupboards. I think it was a dark green and blue colour mix. 

Personally, I quite like dark blue! How about you? 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

That sounds lovely Quincy.  Do you have any photos by chance?  Would love to see.😍

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mark8, I moved into a new apartment in 2020, but I haven't really had the chance to change the colours of my walls yet. 

I think I found the correct name of the colour that I was trying to describe earlier. It's named "Dusk blue" 😊 

DuskBlue.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thanks QUincy!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark8 

I could probably talk about paint colours all day. A lot of hosts would probably say stick to neutrals in an Airbnb, or even just white, but I don't agree. Then again, I host in my own home, so I pretty much decorate for myself, but the guests seem to really like it.

At the moment, most of my house is painted in pale colours, like very light blue or very light grey but there are pops of colour in wallpaper on feature walls and in the furnishings. The bathroom is currently a darker grey, but the only room I've gone for a bold colour is this guest room:

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-028-1200x1800.jpg

In this photo it actually looks quite similar to the colour @Quincy mentioned, but it's hard to tell on screen. I think the blue changes a lot depending on the light. This colour is Little Greene Airforce Blue.

I definitely want to use more colour/deeper colours in the house and have a very plans, but I keep changing my mind.

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-038-1200x781.jpgThe grey bathroom is due for a refresh and I was planning on going for the pale coffee colour I've used in one of the other bedrooms, but now I am thinking pink! I really like the idea of a pale, subtle (not too sugary) pink in there which I think will make it feel warmer and help the new tiles, which are a Zelige style, to stand out. I am thinking something along these lines, and also of painting the window frames black to tie in with the black chandelier:

e96b853d979e4a300b889637cca4274e.jpeg

Wow Huma!!  That is absolutely stunning.  My listing in Boston is also deep and dark colors.  I love this for myself and my guests seem to feel very comfortable as well.  Thank you for posting the eye candy! :))

Mark

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark8 

I've just had a look at your listing. I love that you've gone for different colours and the warmth the colour brings to the living space. I notice that you've also gone for pink in the bathroom!

Just to clarify, the last image I posted above is not from my house, but inspiration for the colours I want to go for in the currently grey bathroom. Now I just have to find the perfect pink...

Would light gray look better than the red?dining.jpgisland.jpg

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Mark8 

Im useless on these things if it was left to me I would just paint everything white, My husband is the one who designs everything, colours and furniture and the layout, 

Over the years he has renovated a few high end villas but as he says people are not that adventurous with colour schemes,

We only have one property on airbnb at the moment and lots of people ask me what is that colour, Im afraid I dont know ask my husband, 

Some years ago we bought a brand new 3 bedroom villa and we went the full options 5 star and my husband brought some specialits painters to do certain walls around the villa I'll have to see if I can dig out the photo's on this new computer, we even imported the paints from Italy with some Gold leaf, I was amazing. download (1) - Copy.png

download.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

Love this colour.

Some people think that 'neutral' has to mean white, cream, beige, maybe grey. Not true. To me, this greyish green is very much a neutral, as you can put almost any other colour next to it. It works just as well with the warm colours of the curtains and the wood as it does with the cooler white, off-whites and black that you have in this scheme.

I think only a true colourphobe (not sure there is such a word, but you get what I mean) would be put off by this.

Then, imagine this same space with just white walls and ceilings. It would not look anywhere near as luxe and sophisticated. In fact, it would probably be okay, but a bit 'meh'.

@Huma0 

You are right I couldn't imagine that place being all white, we did go look at some new apartments in another project, and that was all white, didnt look the same, had no feeling about it,

@Huma0 

We sold this property about 4 years ago the photo's dont look that good now, 

SDC11502.JPG

SDC11516.JPG

SDC11511 - Copy.JPG

SDC11514.JPG

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

I have to say I prefer the decor in your current place. Then again, taste/trends in interiors change (maybe not as fast as fashion, but still). 

That is why I am always changing my mind about paint colours. I see something I think looks fab but, before I get round to trying it out, I see something new I like better!

Gorgeous colors!