Use of thermostat

Answered!
Sandeep55
Level 2
Montclair, NJ

Use of thermostat

Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum. So I apologize in advance if I write something which is not appropriate. 
Anyways, I have few listings and just installed nest thermostats in two of my units. I recently had a guest, who on her first night ask me the code to unlock the  nest thermostat.
What should I will be doing if this happens again. 
and what is the right temperature I should be keeping the apartment at in day time and in night time. Is there a set temperature that I should be setting with +- 3 degrees. 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sandeep55   You may need to review the directions on your Nest.  I have mine locked, but the guest can simply change the dial to the preferred temperature.  I set a range and the mode.  My range is 65F to 75F.  I use my phone App to change the mode remotely, and I have scheduled temperature changes as well.

The only time that a guest has asked for the lock code was when they wanted to enjoy the out-of-doors and wanted the Nest turned off completely, and I did that via the App.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandeep55 We have recently put lockable covers over our thermostats. We can set them remotely and do explain to guests that we will do so if requested as we are only trying to stop the 30 degrees C  24hrs a day guests.

See our listing for the words but we define the temperature we use there. One temperature doesn't work for all - It rather depends if a  place is draughty or if the guests are older.

Laura5961
Level 5
Mamaroneck, NY

If it is going to be locked, I would probably put that in the house rules and reiterate. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sandeep55   You may need to review the directions on your Nest.  I have mine locked, but the guest can simply change the dial to the preferred temperature.  I set a range and the mode.  My range is 65F to 75F.  I use my phone App to change the mode remotely, and I have scheduled temperature changes as well.

The only time that a guest has asked for the lock code was when they wanted to enjoy the out-of-doors and wanted the Nest turned off completely, and I did that via the App.

@Sandeep55 , I think the right temperature is up to the individual guest. For that reason, we do not have a lock on our thermostat. Our listing is separate from our home and has a multi-split heat pump. Our guests control the temperature in the room as we want them to be comfortable during their stay with us. Granted we live in an area where temperatures are normally mild during winter months but we do have summers where days can reach 100 degrees.  

Hope you find a solution that meets the needs of your guests and falls within your operating cost.

@Ana2038 even though we lock our thermostats we do encourage guests to ask if they want more or less heat.

We have had guests setting the heating at 30C 24 hrs a day hence we had to take action or we would lose money on stays.

In terms of the right temperature to keep the apartment at, this can vary depending on the preferences of the guests and the climate in the area. However, a general rule of thumb is to keep the temperature between 68°F and 72°F during the day and between 62°F and 66°F at night. This temperature range is comfortable for most people and can help to conserve energy and reduce costs.

It's important to note that you should also inform your guests about the thermostat settings and temperature range in advance, either through your listing description or in your check-in instructions, to avoid confusion or discomfort during their stay. Additionally, if you have any concerns or questions about the appropriate temperature range for your area or specific property, you can consult with a local HVAC professional for guidance.
You can find more: https://revolar.com/locking-and-unlocking-nest-thermostat/

SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

I, too, had a couple from Kenya turn their thermostat up to 86F for the entire month of January. I nearly had a heart attack when I got the heating bill.  So, I do lock my thermostats now, but encourage the guests to please inform me if they are uncomfortable. Had the couple from Kenya said anything, I’d have offered them lots of sweaters and jackets and electric blankets.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

This is what I do as well with the Nest. They can adjust within a range. Despite there being a graphic on the wall right beside the thermostat showing how to adjust using the ring on side, they invariably press the center and get the prompt for a pin. It’s exhausting lol. 
We have had some that try to lower AC to 65 which is ridiculous.  The range is 69-78. When this happens I explain that if the AC is set too low it will freeze and not work at all. If I was operating a kick boxing gym or aerobics studio.I would understand the need to lower AC more. 
We also have ceiling fans in each room and blinds to block our solar heat. 

Karen