What are your thoughts on restricting thermostat settings?

What are your thoughts on restricting thermostat settings?

I live in Central California where temperatures can reach 100+ and my guests have their own AC and thermostat. Lately my guests have been extremely inconsiderate and turning the AC to 68 and leaving the unit vacant, thankfully I have a Nest thermostat that goes into Eco mode when no movement is detected.

What are your thoughts on limiting the thermostat to 74 or 75? I also have a ceiling fan in the room for those who require additional circulation. 

Thanks in advance! 

46 Replies 46

I'm in Miami and I also have a smart Nest thermostat. I have it locked to cool from 70 to 78. However, this month a guess complaint of the house being to hot at 70. So I removed the lock on the thermostat and asked them to be reasonable. I ask them to make sure the unit must stop once in a while and not run it nonstop.

Well, the outside temperature was 75 and they set the unit at 66 and they kept it running for 14 hours a day. I reset the lock on the thermostat and it was worst than the first time. Within minutes they were demanding I remove the lock. This is the last time I do this. If a guess wants to go below 70, I feel they must pay an extra fee. 

There is a risk of running an A/C nonstop. It can brake the unit and my unit costs $7,000.00.

Judith872
Level 2
Boyds, MD

Hi Frank-and-Jesse0,

I would lock the thermostat using the temp ranges you mentioned.  As hosts, we cannot rely on all guests to be reasonable with the thermostat setting.  Everyone is different.  Of course, if the guests reach out to you to request it be adjusted, you can take it on a case by case basis to unlock the thermostat to accommodate them if the lock range isn’t working for them. This way, you maintain control to avoid this from draining your budget or worse, damaging your cooling system.