What is the best smart lock for short term rentals?

What is the best smart lock for short term rentals?

Hello, I'd like to switch from lock boxes to smart locks. What is the best brand/app?

18 Replies 18

Hi @Kristy-And-Dave0 ! New host and utterly confused as to whether we should get the Schlage encode or the Yale 2. They both  integrate with Airbnb and get automatic code sent upon booking correct? What made you go with the Schlage?

what were hosts doing prior to these two lock options? Just putting a keypad on and including that code in your welcome check in message to folks?

I'm glad you've taken the plunge on this exciting endeavor, @Jessica3814 . As far as I know, Schlage is the only brand Airbnb integration currently supports. Looking at Airbnb Smart Lock Guide: Easy Smart Lock Installation for Hosts has Yale and August as "coming soon". It appears they will be supported, but there's not really any indication of the timing.

At the time that I bought the locks we're using, the only ones on the market that worked with Apple Home Key were the Schlage Encode Plus and the Level Lock+. Using Home Key was a big driver for why I limited it to only those two. The Yale Assure 2 does support that now, too, so I'd not dismiss it now. I don't know if you use Apple phones or if Home Key matters to you, but it's a big deal to me.

Not knowing the timing of when the airbnb integration will work with Yale, I'd probably get the Schlage if I was buying it today. At some point in the not-too-distant future, that could change. I haven't looked closely enough at the Yale yet to say it would overtake my favorite spot.

The one thing I dislike about the Schlage Encode Plus is that it does not support programming keycards for access. It's certainly something that could be added with a software update, but I don't know that they intend to do that. I'd like for guests to have the option to use a keycard I could share with them in the same way I use my phone. Not a huge deal and I've so far just let them use the access codes.

Yeah, before the airbnb integration, I created access codes via the Apple Home app and just shared them in messages via airbnb. (Though I could write an app that would set up codes similar to what the airbnb integration does, but have not done that.)

thank you so much! I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know what apple home key is LOL. that being said I find this so confusing bc theres air bnb hosts that said they're using the Yale 2 and its a money grab for Schlage to have that on air bnb site exclusively when Yale definitely works.... so so confusing!!!

There are so many different offerings and things to consider that there's no shame in not knowing some piece of this jumble.

Apple Home Key makes use of the same technology as tap-to-pay credit card readers that enable paying via phone with the likes of Apple Pay to make unlocking locks work with just tapping the phone (or Apple Watch)  to the lock. It's quite slick. It's not something to use with guests, but it makes for a really nice experience for access when we go to our rental.

I hadn't heard that the Airbnb integration works with Yale locks. I have my doubts about that being true. If it was supported, I'm imagine Airbnb would say so and I don't see any indication of that.