What kind of flooring works best in your rental?

Eileen462
Level 10
San Bernardino, CA

What kind of flooring works best in your rental?

Greetings Hosts!

I am curious to know if you have wood flooring in your rental, Laminate, Tile or Carpeting.  What works best for you?  Thank you for your reply and your likes!  Eileen

32 Replies 32
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

Hi @Eileen462,

I have all of the above.

Wood floors throughout 1st level common areas (livingroom, kitchen, dining room) and the staircase which leads to the 2nd level.

Tile in all bathrooms & laundry.

Carpet in bedrooms only.

I have a small sign at the entrance and at the base of the staircase that reads "No shoes please".

Most guests are respectful.

I can tell when guests ignore the signs...the carpet at the bedroom doorways clearly show their dirty shoe-prints.  It's not permanent damage but makes me appreciate the wood floors.

In all these years of hosting I had only one group of guests who obviously rolled a large wheeled-ice-chest (filled to capacity with canned beverages & ice, I'm sure) leaving visible wheel gouges in the wood floor, from the entry doorway, through the livingroom, and directly to the slider door which opens out onto the back deck. Sigh.

I don't understand why they didn't simply roll it from the driveway to the back deck in the first place!! They managed to tear the front door's screen door by wrestling the ice-chest into the doorway too. 

We were able to sand and polish the floor to repair it and replace the door screen, so it wasn't the end of the world,  just annoying having to deal with such carelessness.

After all if that I remain a fan of wood floors.

@Eileen462 

Lovely hardwood floors throughout the house and in the guest suite. Tile floor in their full bathroom. A 100 year old Chinese  Nichols wool rug graces the sleeping area, it is a wonderful art piece and feels fabulous - like silk - on the bare feet. It is huge - too large for our living areas, so it is a special treat for our guests. No shoes anywhere in the house, which is common in our area and in many others in the world. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Eileen462.

Tile is the standard flooring in St. Lucia, because most homes are constructed with mortar bricks and concrete.  There are few places that have hardwood flooring, but a very dense wood is necessary so it can withstand the tropical climate.  

In Atlanta, we pulled up the carpet, and laid hardwood throughout, except for the bathrooms and laundry areas.

Hello Eileen,

I have a tiled floor.  It's so easy to maintain, it should be darker in color.

Finch3
Level 2
Saint George's, Grenada

I have a tiled floor to give you that finished look and easy to clean up 

Jeremy962
Level 2
Holt, United Kingdom

We have engineered oak flooring with rubber in the shower room.

I do as well for a one bedroom beachfront property. I’d describe this type of flooring as low-maintenance  that can withstand heavy foot traffic fairly easy to clean and resistant to stains and scratches, making them suitable for my rental property

Ken2886
Level 2
New York, NY

Tiles all the way. 

Little-Tiny-Hut0
Level 2
Harbor Springs, MI

Well it really depends on a lot of factors. 

We are in northern Michigan and we have a lot of snow. 

So we have tile in the entry way, vinal in the kitchen/ bath/ dining and fluffy carpet in the bedrooms and living room. 
Guests love the soft warm carpet but was hard to keep clean until we adding the title in the entrance (easy to clean, snow / mud is no issue) and then vinal in the high traffic areas (easy to clean, easy to repair, affordable)

We prefer vinal flooring to linoleum because of the easy of repair. 

@Little-Tiny-Hut0   Hi There!  Thats exactly how I want my houses to me as well.  I have natural hardwood floors in my rental.  Im thinking there I might let those floors shine just because its nostalgic.   Thanks,  Eileen

And you re right... nostalgia trumps all other reasons. Our guests love nostalgia. it is comfort. Even if it takes a little extra to clean... Old hardwood floors are amazing!

Tile is easy for our climate.  It doesn't get smelly when wet, it is easy to clean and muddy shoes doesn't affect it. My second option would be wood but because of all of the rain and tropical storms one must consider the swelling and contraction and potential for mold.

Felah0
Level 2
Sapanca, Türkiye

Ceramic Tiles are the best application in our case 

Katrina-Vivianne-Joy0
Level 2
Bayombong, Philippines

Oh tiles, easy to clean!

Katrina Vivianne