Wonderful house, terrible access

Claire1557
Level 2
Truro, United Kingdom

Wonderful house, terrible access

My partner and I have just bought a beautiful house in Cornwall (got the keys 2 weeks ago) its a 2 bedroom bungalow set into a hillside with a garden that stretches up the hill and all overlooking and surrounded by an ancient woodland. We are hoping to Airbnb it however are very worried about its one, but very important, flaw. The access to the property is terrible. It's just off a busy road (which you don't really notice from the property as you're up a hill in the trees) and it has no sidewalk so the only way you can safely get anywhere from it is by car or bike. And, there's more, the only car parking space it does has is just pulled in off this busy road with just space for a small-medium car and only space to drive in and reverse out meaning you have to reverse on to this busy road (people passing by approx 40 mph).

We are planning to rectify this ASAP however to change this will require us cutting into the hillside and so will require planning permission as well as a council licence for temporary traffic lights so it's not going to be a quick process. Obviously with the sunshine here already, we don't want to miss out on Airbnb trade however are not sure if we can realistically rent it out if this access is going to cause us issues. 

We've been cleaning up the space over the last 2 weeks and the reversing out is never ideal but it is possible. I thought if we made sure it was clearly described on the listing, we could leave it up to guests to decide whether or not to book. 

Would love to hear any advice on this! 

20 Replies 20
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You can get away with nearly anything like this if you are upfront and accurate about it, @Claire1557 . Put the access problem in the description, and then again in "Guests must also acknowledge". Mention it in your initial reply when the guest writes with an inquiry or request. (Avoid IB - instant book - while access is an issue.)

Know that some guests will still mention it in the review, and will maybe knock off stars. They do that. You can read all about it in this forum. But most will be so delighted by that ancient woodland (!), your lovely place, and their lovely hosts, that they will remember that you warned them.

Thanks si much for taking the time to reply. Really helpful! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claire1557   While it's not an ideal situation, no place is perfect. There are listings that you need a 4x4 to get to in the winter when it snows, there are listings with no Wifi, listings right on a busy street that is noisy all the time.

Many hosts have the false notion that they have to talk their place up and never mention any possible negatives, which is a mistake.

Just make the situation very clear in the body of your listing description (not buried somewhere that guests might never click through to read), have clear photos which show the parking, road set-up, and reiterate this in messages to guests when they book, so if it's a deal-breaker for them, they can cancel right away and still get their money refunded.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Claire1557,

Welcome to the community!

You've done it, and you have done well.

Used the same title in your listing, 

‘ Wonderful house, terrible  access ‘

Do post the exterior building photos in the listing  and clearly describe what you’re concern.

Ways to go!

Happy Hosting.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Claire1557   

Here's my suggestion: Put up Your place on airbnb, as the listing title use:

• Beautiful house, terrible access

In the listing description You write pretty much in front of everything else:

• We are letting a beautiful house in Cornwall. It's a 2 bedroom bungalow set into a hillside with a garden that stretches up the hill and all overlooking and surrounded by an ancient woodland, but it's got one very important, flaw.

The access to the property is terrible. It's just off a busy road (which you don't really notice from the property as you're up a hill in the trees) and it has no sidewalk so the only way you can safely get anywhere from it is by car or bike. And, there's more, the only car parking space it does has is just pulled in off this busy road with just space for a small-medium car and only space to drive in and reverse out meaning you have to reverse on to this busy road (people passing by approx 40 mph).

Don't remove the word „terrible“. Don't do any sugarcoating.

If You publish Your listing as proposed above, You will not have any trouble with Your guests.

Also, the listingtitle „Beautiful house – terrible access will draw a lot of attention to Your listing.

Make a picture that shows one person stopping the traffic on the busy road while the driver is reversing the car out of the parking lot. Put that under Your listing pictures.

@Ute42  Excellent advice, seriously. Will definitely draw viewers in just on curiosity alone, and the more views the more bookings.

Claire1557
Level 2
Truro, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for your reply. Great thoughts and great idea about the photo of the car pulling out too. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

here's a parking tip... (I agree with the others about this listing, brutally honest, price accordingly and carry on)... Parking: we do this here in our city areas with on-street parking, back-in parking. Basically, you travel juuuuust to the spot, put on blinker, slow yourself, allow any other traffic to wait or go around you and then pull just a smidge past the spot and back in the spot. Yes, someone may be annoyed to wait or go around you, but there is visibility and much less chance that they will hit you this way than straight up backing out of the space cold. Back into the space, come out forward-facing. Much better. Good luck!

Yes, good advice. My boyfriend parks like this however I hate that moment where you're on the wrong side of the road facing the oncoming traffic. I realise it's the same for reversing out though! Just see it less. 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Claire1557 I love the idea of making it part of your listing title it will draw on curiosity for sure. As I was reading your post and saw the construction you were planning I thought of a car turntable as an option. Although expensive it may save time, permits and cost in the long run. I also think it could be another cool draw to your property.

car turntable.png

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0  That's an interesting concept. I can just see a guest managing to get their back wheels halfway or completely off the turntable, turning it on, and wrecking their suspension. Then suing the host. 🙂

Like James Bond! Clever thinking, will definitely look into it. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The turntabe is a very good idea, but this thing is very expensive. Something like...a brand new middle class car.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Claire1557 my houses have LOTS of flaws. One has no internal access between floors (yes, you saw that right), all have tiny parking spaces, one has a train passing every few minutes right behind it. I charge an insane amount of money and if I get unhappy guests, they are usually are not happy about other things.

I do not necessarily agree that you should lead with a negative with a title. I also do not agree that your access is that bad. By Chicago standards by having a parking space you are lightyears ahead of the next competitor. Someone from a big busy city will not think twice about this. I back into a really busy street down a very narrow alley with my own car. I literally have six inches on each side of my car as I back out for half a block and then straight onto one of the busiest Chicago streets that connects a highway with an expressway. 

First, capture your future guests with an amazing listing description, draw them in with positives. Once you are past that, put the flaw in multiple places: the space (second paragraph, do not lead with it). getting around and also in things to and things a guest must acknowledge. At this point no sugarcoating.

This not so atrocious that guests would have to cancel if they did not realize this, you are fine offering IB. It is not like they will be in and out all day long.  Furthermore, terrible access can mean so many things. I have been doing for many years and still perfecting my description. People continue to surprise me with how they interpret simple sentences. I to be honest first thought that you do not have a front stair or something like that or there is a ditch you have to jump over.

You have a wonderful property and you will have many happy guests, I am sure of it