buying good sleeper sofa

Answered!
Tim3319
Level 2
Nashport, OH

buying good sleeper sofa

we have a sofa sleeper for extra guests and have had it repaired twice the gursts seem to force it back shut and end up bending the mechanics need to find a way or place to get something that will hold up better if anyone has ideas thanks 

1 Best Answer
Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Tim3319

I totally understand this problem. I also have a sofa bed that could be easily damaged through rough or inexperienced guest usage.

My preferred option to prevent that over the years has been to insist on making up the sofa into a bed myself before their arrival, and then guests don't have the option to change it back into a sofa during their stay (the sofa cushions are removed). I put this explicitly into the listing, and I also highlighted in the initial booking correspondence to guests who would be using it to ensure that this aspect was well understood at the outset. If it was unsatisfactory for them then they could of course just cancel their booking straight away without penalty and choose an alternate option.

This has all worked out well for me over the years, and I don't recall losing any bookings or getting any complaints or bad reviews as a result of this limitation, and the sofa bed has remained undamaged.

I have recently however decided not to offer the sofa bed any longer as I would now prefer to offer just the sofa in order to ensure a better overall quality of stay. I also find that some guests have unreasonable expectations that a sofa bed will be of the same comfort level as an ordinary bed, which would rarely be the case due to the inherent mattress limitations.

If you wish to continue offering the use of your sofa bed then I hope that this idea may perhaps be of help to avoid any further inadvertent damage being caused to it. Guests do not usually mind something like this as long as it is clearly explained and agreed with them up front.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Tim3319

I totally understand this problem. I also have a sofa bed that could be easily damaged through rough or inexperienced guest usage.

My preferred option to prevent that over the years has been to insist on making up the sofa into a bed myself before their arrival, and then guests don't have the option to change it back into a sofa during their stay (the sofa cushions are removed). I put this explicitly into the listing, and I also highlighted in the initial booking correspondence to guests who would be using it to ensure that this aspect was well understood at the outset. If it was unsatisfactory for them then they could of course just cancel their booking straight away without penalty and choose an alternate option.

This has all worked out well for me over the years, and I don't recall losing any bookings or getting any complaints or bad reviews as a result of this limitation, and the sofa bed has remained undamaged.

I have recently however decided not to offer the sofa bed any longer as I would now prefer to offer just the sofa in order to ensure a better overall quality of stay. I also find that some guests have unreasonable expectations that a sofa bed will be of the same comfort level as an ordinary bed, which would rarely be the case due to the inherent mattress limitations.

If you wish to continue offering the use of your sofa bed then I hope that this idea may perhaps be of help to avoid any further inadvertent damage being caused to it. Guests do not usually mind something like this as long as it is clearly explained and agreed with them up front.

Thanks for reply and sounds like we may try that there is a loft for sleeping but when they have 4 guests they need room. We have had them try and force it back shut even with the throw pillows on it the mechanical parts get all bent up. Thanks again 

@Tim3319  I went through 3 futons in one of my listings years ago as the guests would break or bend the futon frames, even with step-by-step picture instructions in a pretty frame next to the futon.

I found it better to decrease the number of guests and do away with the futon (or sleeper sofa).

thanks much it sounds like a  lot of people have same problem. tks again

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Tim3319  You should look into what Ikea has to offer. Their sofa beds operate with a more primitive open and closing system, so they are unlikely to suffer damage like the type you're describing. I bought one for my AirBnB and it has been great. This is not a futon style, but an actual sofa bed. 

First, everything is machine washable, so easy to keep clean. Second- as mentioned- the assembly is more manual, less mechanized, so less likely to break. The bed is quite comfortable too. 

Easy to transport as well, in those flat-pack boxes, as opposed to waiting for a delivery truck. You just have to allow for losing your mind during the several hours of assembly, lol. 

Kia

Thanks much i  had not even looked at their sofa beds before i just went to web site and yes they look much simpler to operate. appreciate the tip, 

we bought an ikea one and you are right they operate simple so hope the  guest will do better with it. tks again