kayaks, bikes as amenities

Yocencia0
Level 6
Shepherdstown, WV

kayaks, bikes as amenities

AirBnB has added Bikes and Kayaks as amenities.   

Does this mean that AirBnB is covering the equipment for damage and loss now?

What about liability?   Is AirBnB going to back the host for liability with the equipment?   

Should there be a separate contract or just rule section that use of the equipment is at the guests own risk.

This has been a topic on and off here but not AirBnB seems to be supporting the equipment more directly as included amenities.

37 Replies 37

@Yocencia0  This is a really good question! Hopefully the mods can get some clarifications from Airbnb.

If you're interested in what's covered by Airbnb's liability policy (Host Protection), see here: https://airbnb.app.box.com/v/hpi-program-summary

I notice that it says injuries connected with watercraft are excluded unless the watercraft is "under 26 feet in length." It doesn't specify whether the watercraft is still covered for personal injury when it's taken off the property. No mention of bikes.

As for damage or loss, the Host Guarantee lists vehicles and watercraft among the physical property that is not covered. 

From all I see, it would not be advisable to supply bikes or kayaks to Airbnb guests unless you have your own liability and property insurance coverage that extends to them, and collect a deposit outside of the platform.

A final consideration:  every amenity you check off on that list is part of your binding agreement with the guest, so you're technically in breach of contract if you don't provide that bike or kayak. And you'd probably want to keep the freedom to not lend someone equipment if you had doubts about their ability to use it safely.

@Anonymous wrote:

A final consideration:  every amenity you check off on that list is part of your binding agreement with the guest, so you're technically in breach of contract if you don't provide that bike or kayak. 

exactly.   So I wonder who would check the box unless AirBnB covers the bike and/or kayak.  In our case we are on Rivers (very low class rivers and easily kayak friendly) so the kayaks would clearly be off the property (can't imagine many locations were the kayak would not leave the property (large lake maybe).  

Also since they are on rivers which are for the most part uncontrolled, they can get to high flood stages on occasion where any entry would be dangerous.  We could, of course, lock up the kayaks during these few events but would need to NOT be in breach of agreement for doing so.  

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Yocencia0 @Anonymous 

We have kayaks, but do not include them in our listing, purely for liability reasons.  We keep them off-site.  If and when Guests ask, I refer them to local Outfitters who do those kinds of rentals and therefore take on the liability.  Hope this suggestion helps.

This is what we currently do now (refer to local renters), however with the addition of the kayak and bike amenities, it indicates a change in AirBnB policy.   As @Anonymous mentioned there does appear to be some coverage in the liability coverage for smaller water craft (under 26 foot in length) which most kayaks would fit (ours are 8 -12 foot long).  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Yocencia0 we provide kayak/SUPs so when the amenity showed up on Airbnb we ticked it. We don't count on Airbnb for any kind of insurance coverage.

@Lisa723  I'm sure you've dotted all your i's with insurance coverage, but just out of curiosity - have you ever had a situation where you had to make a judgment call to not let a guest use the kayaks? Like they seemed physically unwell, intoxicated, or too inexperienced to handle the water conditions? Or are you comfortable to just let them use their own judgment?

@Anonymous we are off-site hosts for this location, so-- no, our judgment doesn't enter into it. Re. water conditions, it's a small shallow lake. Of course that doesn't mean nothing bad could happen, but no particular skill or experience is required to paddle around. We provide PFDs and ask everyone to use them. In the winter, when hypothermia after a dunking could be an issue, we store the kayak/SUPs,  but not the canoes and rowboat.

And yes, before making the boats available we reviewed everything with our insurance company. The wording they stipulated is included in our house rules, but they don't require signed waivers. Surprisingly (to me), they were at least as concerned about the elliptical machine we provide as the boats, and their wording covers this and the hot tubs as well.

They also required us to post "no lifeguard" signs and provide life-ring buoys.

@Lisa723 just curious, what insurance co. do you use?  Our set up sounds similar to yours. We have a kayak and canoe and life jackets in assorted sizes and state in our rules they should be worn while using the canoe/kayak. We also state use of lake is at your own risk, but don't have any specific verbiage from the insurance company. 

@Joy113 It’s Proper.

@Joy113 Are you able to share what you post on rules. I am new and need to do this for our lake house.

Following.  @Lisa723 I'm curious how one would ascertain the unsuitability of the party to use the kayak.  We provide the craft but not the life jackets and tell the guests up front and in our automated messages on 2 occasions prior to their arrival. 

@Heidi703 not sure what you are asking (if anything)-- we don't attempt to ascertain the suitability or unsuitability of guests to use the kayaks. The main thing in this situation is to check with your liability insurer and do whatever they say to make sure you are covered. Ours requires specific wording in house rules, posted "no lifeguard" signs, and that we provide life-ring buoys and PFDs.

Thanks for the tip.  I've messaged my insurance agent.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Yocencia0 @Anonymous 

A quick story for you. A number of years ago, we were in a very popular Ontario Provincial Park that has a kayak/canoe rental place right at the entrance on the first lake.  As we enjoyed our lunch, we watched a group of completely inexperienced untrained people trying to paddle their two seat rented canoe (4 people in the canoe).  It was hilarious to watch them zig-zagging along the water.  However, it could have potentially been very dangerous when they paddled straight into a private dock across the lake and did damage to both the canoe and the dock. Also, no personal flotation devices (PFD's) or other safety equipment. That memory is enough for me not to take on the liability.