kayaks, bikes as amenities

Yocencia0
Level 6
Shepherdstown, WV

kayaks, bikes as amenities

AirBnB has added Bikes and Kayaks as amenities.   

Does this mean that AirBnB is covering the equipment for damage and loss now?

What about liability?   Is AirBnB going to back the host for liability with the equipment?   

Should there be a separate contract or just rule section that use of the equipment is at the guests own risk.

This has been a topic on and off here but not AirBnB seems to be supporting the equipment more directly as included amenities.

37 Replies 37

Interesting you mentioned that. We have a small property and a lot of people asked if we have the option to accommodate more guests. Now we have this stationary travel trailer that’s on the property (it has geico insurance and also covered be the home renter’s insurance) and I was wondering if that something that’s be an option. Would love to hear your opinion 

@Avi15233,

Personally, I would avoid, avoid, avoid, any such LIABILITY.

Your homeowners' insurance company might cover a kayak only if you paid your homeowners' insurance company extra $ (often referred to as an Umbrella Policy) if someone stole it from your property, you filed a theft insurance claim and filed a police report...but then you risk being dropped by your home insurance company after your first claim.

Secondly, if your guest drowned while using your kayak...you risk being sued...millions of dollars.  Is it worth the risk?  These 2 reasons alone are why most hosts refer the guests to the local kayak/bike rental shops - they have their customers sign a legal waiver. Leave it to the professionals.

I prefer to sleep well at night.

Thank you so much for replying. I think Excalibur that since I don’t trust anyone obviously lol. That’s why I figured I’ll call Airbnb directly and play dumb. Obviously their representatives are not well informed cause they literally said I’m completely cover OUTSIDE the property line. But I guess you’re right it can be more than a million dollar anyway so it doesn’t matter . Yes we actually also have renters insurance just in case too.. gotta wonder tho. How come so many properties just have kayaks out there for everyone to use?? 

@Avi15233 ...to keep Lawyers occupied.

Ha!

Stay safe & sleep well, dear fellow host.

@Avi15233 The legality of recording conversations is questionable depending on your, and critically Airbnb's, jurisdiction.

Why not just read the terms and conditions of Aircover that apply in your country. It was very clear when I read them that they don't cover items taken from the property so Kayaks etc will be an issue and your liability potentially massive.

Oh really? From reading this thread  here I thought it didn’t mention what happens outside the property.. well thank you for taking the time to reply.  (And yeah I was definitely goin to inform them if I’ll record the conversation) . 

Despite the fact that we have kayaks, we choose not to advertise them due to strict liability concerns. They remain off-site. If and when guests inquire, I direct them to nearby Outfitters who handle those types of accommodations and thus assume the risk. I hope this advice is useful.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

John563
Level 1
Marietta, GA

Our place is in Florida with river and gulf access and we are constantly asked if we have kayaks and canoes. We do but do NOT allow guests to use them. Looking into this extensively and speaking to the underwriter of our homeowners policy there is no liability protection once the kayak leave the property. 

As the underwriter explained it to me... If a guest were sitting in a kayak in your driveway and fell over and hit their head on the concrete and died, you're covered. If a guest takes the kayak to a nearby body of water, tips over and hits their head and drowns, you're totally liable.

This also includes bikes. Use the same logic above. Once guests leave the property with your bikes, kayaks and canoes, it's on you. 

Yep, it's frustrating seeing other "competitors" in the area offer these amenities and lure bookings away from us. Also, Airbnb should remove these items from the amenities options for owners. Having these options there implies that they are in the same liability category as say... a toaster oven.

Solution: We keep our Airbnb area guide up to date with rental options for kayaks and bikes. It works and most importantly the liability is shifted to the guest and the rental company.

Believe me, I would be more than pleased to hear I'm totally wrong here and there is a solution. If so, please post so I can learn more.