use of property for filming

Answered!
Emily1588
Level 2
Aylesbury, United Kingdom

use of property for filming

Dear all

We had someone arrive yesterday. I assumed it was a couple on a short break as many of our guests are. However when I went out to say hi this morning it transpired they are using our place for filming an interview. No

mention of this was made when booking. I don’t think it will create any mess and the crew are only 2 as far as I can tell but I feel it was inappropriate not to mention that was what was intended when he booked. Do I make a fuss or just call him out in our feedback? 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

Many thanks 

1 Best Answer

@Emily1588   If you're choosing to allow the filming to proceed, there's no point in making a fuss. But you should definitely call out the guest's deceptive behavior in your public review. 

Then, update your House Rules to clarify your position on unregistered guests. Filming or not, there should never be more people in the home than indicated in the booking. And when vetting guests in the future, you can leave off Instant Book and ask people about the purpose of their visit, rather than making assumptions.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Emily1588   If you're choosing to allow the filming to proceed, there's no point in making a fuss. But you should definitely call out the guest's deceptive behavior in your public review. 

Then, update your House Rules to clarify your position on unregistered guests. Filming or not, there should never be more people in the home than indicated in the booking. And when vetting guests in the future, you can leave off Instant Book and ask people about the purpose of their visit, rather than making assumptions.

I agree I have someone as we speak asking to book for Bridezilla Ive seen the show and know things could go left FAST 

I've encountered similar scenarios.

It comes down to what you want in your property.

No point making a fuss as its too late, but it is worth mentioning in your guest review (you can't mark them down technically on something you don't prohibit) that it was used for filming so that future hosts know. If there is one thing that peeves me off more, is that hosts are not honest enough in guest reviews.

As other hosts pointed out, at least your cleaning is probably lesser. 

As long as they didn't violate your max numbers, there is nothing you can legimately complain about, although the comment around running a commercial enterprise within an airbnb is something I had not considered.

I end up being really clear in my listing, things to note that I'm not an event or wedding venue (I get lots of queries about that) and that they need to goto a properly licensed place where the insurance is covered adequately. So perhaps you can put in your house listing rules that you only take bookings for holiday purposes, and not for filming or events. Then when someone violates this, at least you can take action/penalise as its made clear up front. Insurance coverage is a tricky one as well to consider.

I've also stayed at a place where the host told me he has a visiting studio photographer who is a regular, who comes to town and has his clients come into the airbnb for the photo shoot. He's ok with it, comes down to communication and expectation and management of insurance risk.

Maybe this is a new market opportunity for you if your property does suit that?

Emily1588
Level 2
Aylesbury, United Kingdom

Many thanks Andrew. Great advice

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If people want to film at your property they should be paying a full commercial rate, they should have provided you with a copy of their liability insurance and you should have a contract with them as Airbnb's guarantee will not cover you if it's a commercial booking @Emily1588 

Do you not ask vetting questions from your guests when they book to ensure there is a good fit.

Sounds like you have decided to let these people stay on and film but something to consider for next time.

Please leave an honest review mentioning this to warn future hosts. 

Well, considering that Airbnbs are now the venues of choice for OnlyFans "content creators", you've probably had a result if your guests were fully clothed when you popped by! Plus the after-stay cleaning time will probably be much shorter if it really is just an interview that's being filmed 😉

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

I know for my listings Airbnb had a box I  checked to  say yes or no for filming use.  I  selected no because I did have a concern about allowing someone else's commercial use in my  basically commercial rentals.

I would think if you checked yes but  didn't state in your rules that the guest disclose then I am not sure  any error by  the guest..

I would mention it but be honest it wasn't a requirement that you are addressing now.  It was rude to not tell you but the guest was just rude.