Introducing new Airbnb Categories

Airbnb
Official Account

Introducing new Airbnb Categories

tools-categories-XL_(2) copia.png

In May, we introduced Airbnb Categories – a new way of making millions of unique homes discoverable to guests who would have never known existed otherwise. We want to ensure guests looking for a unique space, like yours, can easily find it in categories and feel enticed to book. 

So, we’re introducing new Airbnb Categories:

• New: Listings added to Airbnb within the past 10 weeks
  • Trending: Highly rated homes receiving more listing views than the previous week
  • Hanoks: Traditional Korean homes constructed of natural materials 
  • Top of the world: Places guests can stay around 10,000 feet above sea level, often with stunning views
  • Adapted: Spaces confirmed to include accessibility features, like step-free paths to the guest entrance, a bedroom, and a bathroom
  • Play: Listings with basketball courts, game rooms, trampolines, water slides, and more
  • Private rooms: This update to our Shared Homes Category offers 1.2 million beautiful and affordable spaces of all types, excluding hotels

Additionally, starting early in 2023, you’ll also be able to check which category your listing is in and provide more specifics about your space – we’ll share more info about this soon. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

68 Replies 68

apparently was NOT just 'city centers'.  Happened to me and several other hosts in our small mountain community here in Tennessee (NOT the Smokies)...where there are many cabins of all types and locations....many of us, including me (superhost for five years, 4.9 star rating always) have had to leave Airbnb and try and figure out something else. To go from being booked solid months in advance to getting NO bookings after this disaster....

@Kristina46 someone of my own heart. Using the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

Quickist, easiest way to find where I want to go. The map with all the prices is very handy and the thumbnail photo pops up when you hit on it. But there is others close by to choose from.

that's the problem....

'assuming you are showing me all the listings'....unfortunately it's proven they are NOT

In my mountain 'tourist area'  there are many quaint, lovely cabins, including mine on my secluded farm. When this roll out came, most of these cabins that were always there, 'disappeared'...Including mine, which was always booked 2-3 months in advance. ALWAYS.  Some of the regulars were there, but after the first two pages, the site took you miles and miles away from your chosen area.  Some as far as 3 hours!!  So my listing, some of my fellow hosts, just could not be found. ONLY if  you entered a date that WE had open.  Well, most of my guests have told me they like to browse. THEN chose a date that the listing shows available. Can't do that anymore...drove me and a couple of others out of business until we can regroup somehow without Airbnb. Other platforms had not worked for us in the past. Airbnb was PERFECT for over 5 years for me.   Now?  had to shut down for now, basically retire too soon. Can't afford the STR insurance with little to no activity....It's sickened me.  

My listing does not show up on the map. I've tested this over and over. 8 out of 10 times my listing was not there. Needless to say our bookings have become invisible like my listing showing up on the map.

Felicia193
Level 2
Oak Park, IL

I am a new host-June 2021. My Airbnb is in a town without many hotels. It looks like the number of Airbnb's is growing. I stay in Airbnb's all of the time. 

Photos? We get rated on our photos? What components of our photos? 

When staying at an Airbnb, I look at cleanliness first. I have stayed at places where they didn't change the sheets and others where you knew certain parts of the house were never cleaned. True cleanliness is a major concern at my Airbnb. 

Yes, I agree there is too much focus on "special houses." A guest's goal would have to be to stay in a unique place to put  importance on that category. 

I know many of my guests chose my Airbnb because of the location. 

Sleeping arrangements-I see listings for sleeps 4, one bedroom. In addition, I was not able to fully describe the sleeping arrangements in my listing. It sleeps 5 comfortably, but it wouldn't be good for some people because one of the beds is a queen bed. 

I find it difficult to rate the guests. I saw the rating form was changed, which was good. Instead of separate comments at the end, it might be easier to list the category and then leave a line for comments about that category. (Cleanliness Rate using stars Comments__________________.   Put "Other" at the bottom so it doesn't seem mandatory to complete that line.)

I don't usually have trouble rating hosts. 

Thanks. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Felicia193 

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

I've made sure it's been noted.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mathilde100
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I have recently completed accessibility features on my listing and am happy to see that 'Adapted' is now part of the new Airbnb categories, however, I believe that Airbnb needs to step up this category. While other categories are 'nice', (yet for the majority of the guests I meet while hosting, not something they look for,) 'Adapted' or accessibility features are a necessity for many travelers and very hard to find. Under the inclusive culture, we are all working on creating, people with a need for more accessible accommodation often appear to be at the bottom of the list of importance. Having a need for accessibility features is not a matter of choice. 

I have no needs of this nature myself, but being made aware by some of my guests, I went on a search for accommodating accommodation and found these very hard to find. Let's step it up Airbnb, right now it's getting lost amongst the 'luxury' categories.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Mathilde100 ,

Thank you for sharing this with us. As mentioned in the recent updates, more upgrades regarding categories will also be introduced in early 2023. I hope, those upgrades are relevant for both hosts and guests.

Bhumika

Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

-----

Is AB trying to kill the platform? So many are leaving & not making enough to even cover Mortage payments. I’m not sure what to do… my October & future are 100% empty 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

• Private rooms: This update to our Shared Homes Category offers 1.2 million beautiful and affordable spaces of all types, excluding hotels

Well, yes, but when a guest does a regular search, without categories, and selects the option 'private room', what happens? You guessed it, hotel rooms still show up in that search. So, this is a fairly meaningless change, in my opinion.

How many guests who are searching for a private room will think to scroll through the categories at the top, looking for one for 'private rooms' and search that way, rather than just click the private rooms filter, just as they've always done?

@Bhumika it would be interesting to see statistics on what percentage of guests are actually searching and booking using categories as opposed to a more traditional search. And, by that, I don't mean browsing categories for fun, but actually booking via that route.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Huma0 ,

Sorry that we do not have access to such information! Although I agree, it would have been very interesting to know about the functions in terms of data😉.  Thanks for sharing your findings above, I will make sure to revert it the designated team!

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bhumika 

Thank you for your response, but I am pretty sure I recently saw another post on another thread (I think from you, but it might have been from one of the other moderators) stating that a very small percentage of guests are using categories to search. This was in response to a host who was worried about not being found in searches due to categories. 

So, do you now have an update on these statistics?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Huma0 ,

Thank you for raising the concern! I am afraid I do not have any updates regarding the statistics or recall discussing the percentage of guests that use categories. I will surely get back to you in case there is anything regarding this.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

That was me that was worried about not being found. But the answer was "well the categories aren't that useful"??? Then why all the fuss from AirBnB about having them?  They must serve a purpose or they wouldn't have made them.  And, still no word on how to get into them.

James2743
Level 9
Norfolk, United Kingdom

Any updates on when in early 2023 this is getting rolled out? Booking and VRBO have been keeping me going for now but I'd quite like to get Airbnb up and rolling again and I'm hoping that whatever corrects the category system sorts out the sudden drop off of Airbnb bookings since the summer release.