New and improved AirCover for Hosts

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New and improved AirCover for Hosts

aircover_for_hosts.png

As Hosts, you’ve given us a lot of feedback in the past year. Based on your feedback, we’re making significant changes to the hosting experience, including the AirCover for Hosts program.

These updates include:

• Even more AirCover: AirCover for Hosts now includes protections for cars and boats parked at your home, plus expanded coverage for art and valuables. We’re increasing damage protection from $1 million USD to $3 million USD.
  • Simpler reimbursement process: You can submit a reimbursement request in just a few steps.
  • Guest identity verification: Identity verification has expanded to all guests who book travel to Airbnb’s top 35 countries and regions, representing 90% of all reservations. We’ll roll this out globally in early 2023.
  • Reservation screening: We’ve developed reservation screening technology that analyzes about a hundred factors to flag bookings likely to lead to unauthorized parties or property damage. After a successful test in Australia, we’re launching reservation screening technology in the U.S. and Canada, with a global rollout in early 2023.

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

AirCover for Hosts’ Host damage protection, Host liability insurance, and Experiences liability insurance don’t cover Hosts who offer stays or Experiences in Japan, where the Japan Host Insurance and Japan Experience Protection Insurance apply, or Hosts who offer stays through Airbnb Travel LLC. For Hosts who offered stays or experiences in mainland China, the China Host Protection Plan applies. Host damage protection isn’t related to Host liability insurance. Keep in mind that there are other terms, conditions, and exclusions.

If you’re hosting stays in the U.K., the Host liability insurance policy is underwritten by Zurich Insurance PLC, and arranged and concluded at no additional cost for U.K. Hosts by Airbnb U.K. Services Limited, an appointed representative of Aon U.K. Limited, who are authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Aon’s FCA register number is 310451. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register or contacting the FCA at +44 0800-111-6768. Insurance products arranged by Airbnb U.K. Services Limited are regulated products. FPAPC374TP

Information contained in this article may have changed since publication.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

10 Replies 10
Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

Hi @Quincy @Airbnb 

as a Superhost of over 35 properties 2000+ reviews that hosts upwards of 200 guests per day. I’ve always had major issues with aircover.

1. reps only reply and email at 1-4am (I’m in Canada) this is very frustrating.

2. Their English skills are painfully bad and don’t seem to understand simple common sense things.

3. Hosting so many guests there is considerable amounts of damage that occurs. Recently I’ve had a fibreglass bathtub that was burned by multiple cigarettes being left on the side of the tub.

Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01227162]

I’ve had a stainless steel fridge that was just a few months old left with huge scratches on the front that cannot be repaired. The fridge works but the huge scratches are horrible it makes the property look like junk. (Airbnb pretty much told me since the fridge still works DEAL WITH IT) here’s $73.00 Canadian for the trouble. Like what!?

Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01247651]

and a leather couch that had children’s writing all over it. (Sharpie) really bring up the value of the property. 

Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01247611]

I have a $400 damage deposit on all properties some are $1000

but it’s about 50% of the time Aircover pays for guests damages. I have to hire multiple professionals that are in business related to the damage cause for damage reports. I submit one, then the rep says submit another one from

a different company. 

Take the fridge for example. There are HUGE scratches in the fridge it looks like crap. Airbnb paid $73.00 Canadian and told me to pound sand for the rest? Like what the hell? 

Am I expecting to just tolerate major damage?

the claim for the bathtub was denied. I’ve paid multiple technicians to come to the suite and take pictures and show evidence of BURN marks on my bath tub. But Airbnb calls this “regular wear and tear”

How the hell is cigarette burns on a fibreglass bathtub regular wear and tear?

It’s wrong to tout coverage to people and encourage hosting when aircover rarely covers damage.

This is coming form a superhost of 5 years in a row with 37 properties and nearly 3000 reviews with an average rating of 4.95/5

I’m just fed up with it really. It’s like it’s Airbnbs goal to deny Aircover claims for legitimate damage.  

The Airbnb reps goal is to email in the middle of the night because you cannot contact them, they try to run out the clock on the claim. They deny deny deny even tho multiple legal documents, and evidence has all been submitted, they ask you for more and more professionals to write reports, then say the claim is done and it’s final. Like what more can I do? What’s the point of even trying. 

It’s worst than fraudulent, scammy medical or life insurance coverage.

@Yuki-and-Charlie0 

1. reps only reply and email at 1-4am (I’m in Canada) this is very frustrating.

this is so interesting. I've found the same thing, but i'm in Australia. the only time to spoke with a CS person they were in the Philippines, which is very close to my time zone, but surely they aren't actually working at 2am? 

that is clearly a tactic.  and if you google how call centres work you'll understand that they aren't being paid to solve problems, they are being paid to shut down problems. 

also, you've kinda ruined the thing we had going, which was to completely ignore the claim that Aircover was any good.  I reckon Quincy was secretly pleased cos it shouldn't be his job to defend a nonsense policy. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Yuki-and-Charlie0

Thanks for all your feedback and sorry to hear that you've experienced so many challenges, both with reservations and the support received afterwards.

I'll raise this on our end for you so someone can review what's happened, but hopefully the improvements to AirCover as part of this update will make it easier going forward to get the help you need, should you ever need it again!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

@Emilie @Quincy @Airbnb 

This is just one of a dozen cases I’m currently having issues with. 

Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01247641]

Airbnb is saying that a guest that literally smashed a light off a ceiling lightning track is regular wear and tear? And based on past experience this is normal?  “Ordinary wear and tear”

beyond that nonsense Airbnb has proof it was not broken before the guests checked in.

can someone that’s not completely useless look into this? 

this isn’t as pressing as Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01227162] cigarette burns on fibreglass fridge and Airbnb Reimbursement Request [CLSF-01247651] brand new stainless steel fridge with major scratches in it. Both of which have been under review for about a month with each issue having about 20 emails each. Both is escalated. The fridge they paid me $73 Canadian. The bathtub has been back and fourth with literally no context, like 

hi I’m away for three days and will continue reviewing this when I get back.

I’ve had that email from Airbnb multiple times for the same case. 

5955675E-4225-47E7-98CF-D05A42FE2EA2.png

96EA92E0-5D67-4E72-9C35-F8AC647E8E35.jpeg

7A5DEB0D-695D-4F18-BF5E-B4A0BAF85FDA.jpeg

9B335F06-9D13-4EB2-9B4A-C7E1A9AD213C.jpeg

@Yuki-and-Charlie0 

"normal use" of a light fixture is to turn it on and off at the wall switch. It is not "normal" to touch a light fixture in the ceiling. This is accidental damage. 

I guess you just have to keep on responding until they realise you aren't going to give up. 

They unfortunately did the classic extremely common. Normal Aircover move.

@Airbnb has spoken. Case closed. 

[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

@Emilie @Quincy @airbnb

I would like to show potential hosts what a typical damage claim with aircover looks like and entails.

this claim is regarding multiple burn marks on a fibreglass bathtub. 

clearly someone was smoking in the bathroom and was resting either a cigarette or joint on the bathtub. 

FYI. I’ve hired two separate professionals to submit legal damage reports regarding this. 

Bear in mind. I’m a host with nearly 3000 reviews. I’ve been a super host for nearly 5 years. And I’ve hosted roughly 15,000 guests on Airbnb.  Average rating 4.95/5

this is a normal damage claim. This is what aircover is:

I submitted this claim on the 27th or 28th of October from what I remember. Today is November 23rd and we are nowhere near anything of a change or update from them. 

im doing this on my phone but I’m pretty sure I’m missing two other completely useless emails but ya. We are nowhere near getting an answer. 

what the call centre reps over seas are trying to do here is run out the time on the case. 

they will then said case is over and time is done and close the case.

you can see they can only call me between 8pm and 3am or other horrible times but I don’t need a phone call. I need the claim paid out so this can be resolved. 

currently we are renting the suite with a burnt up bathtub. Yay. I’m just expected to accept the fact burn marks on a fiberglass bathtub is acceptable.

this has been nearly a month of nonese back and fourth.

** [Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Permanent Burn marks:

495F27B5-83FB-44E2-9907-28DB11359819.jpeg

4FECC58D-76DF-46FC-B846-BAA9EA239E54.jpeg

Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

@Quincy @Emilie @Airbnb 

This is another case in review: I’ve hired two separate, legally registered business both with business licenses with the town we operate in and both have federal licenses. Both are legally insured and bonded.

Airbnb always asks or says if there is no website for the company they aren’t legal !?!? And cannot be used. like what? 

Even tho the companies have shared with me at my request business numbers, registration documents and certificates of insurance.

The invoices have all this information and I’ve sent it to Airbnb on top of that. 

FYI this is regarding a stainless steel fridge that is less than 6 months old that has been damaged with huge scratch marks.  Like are we just expected to accept this kind of damage if we host on Airbnb? Apparently that’s the case and I don’t think that’s right. This property has now been devalued and it just looks terrible. 

you don’t need to hire two legally registered professionals to point this out. But Airbnb demands it. Not problem here you go. Oh wait one doesn’t have a website. This case is closed and dismissed.

it’s insane, it’s literally insane.

F50E8B91-E530-4867-98EC-E6BD2AD4DDBE.jpeg

2761A94A-FE6E-4E10-8E75-B72E4212CC60.jpeg

** [Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yuki-and-Charlie0 I appreciate you keeping us up to date on the progress of your cases and providing so much details ! As I mentioned I've raised this already for you, and if I get more info I will of course share them with you. I've had confirmation that someone is working on it and will be in touch directly to follow-up. 🙂

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines