Read Airbnb’s Anti-discrimination Report and get involved

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Read Airbnb’s Anti-discrimination Report and get involved

Image_AntiDiscrimination_Still_02.png

As part of Airbnb's work to combat discrimination and help build a more inclusive community, we launched Project Lighthouse in 2020. We partnered with civil rights organizations to research when and where racial discrimination happens on our platform and the effectiveness of policies that fight it. 

This week, we released a new update detailing our initial Project Lighthouse findings, along with additional work we’re doing to help fight discrimination. Find out more about how Airbnb is fighting discrimination, read highlights of the report, and explore our guide to inclusive hosting for more. 

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bhumika I can't find the report. is there a link to it?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

Yes, you can find the report here: A six-year update on Airbnb’s work to fight discrimination! I will add it in the above post too, for members' convenience. Thanks for highlighting this.

-----

@Bhumika Absolutely fascinating report. Given that the data collection method is presumably automated I would love to see these data for countries other than the USA. Do Airbnb plan to do this I wonder and if not why not?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

Indeed an interesting one. While Project Lighthouse is currently focused on our community in the US, the changes outlined in the report will be implemented globally to make the platform more equitable for our entire community. As far as data is concerned, I do not have much information about it as of now. Will get back to you in case I am able to gather more information!

-----

Does this anti discrimination apply only to guests?

Or have we forgotten about Jade?

The HOST who AirBNB discriminated against for being disabled?
The HOST who AirBNB told to allow guests stay for free because they were offended by her disability?
The HOST who AirBNB asked "When will you no longer be disabled?"

https://god.dailydot.com/airbnb-ableist-doorbell/

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Rick4645 ,

The anti-discrimination policy applies to each and everyone that uses the Airbnb platform. The case you mentioned was investigated thoroughly and AirBnB found no evidence of discriminatory behaviour.  

-----

Asking a host to stop being disabled is not discriminatory?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rick4645 ,

I appreciate your concern on this story. As my colleague has mentioned, there was no evidence of wrong doing when we performed an investigation which including talking to all relevant parties. I would recommend you perform a search engine query on this one as it has rather publicly been showcased as fabricated. 

I understand our emotions can be heightened when we see what appears to be discrimination and that you are voicing your concerns from a place of well-intent. That being said, continuing to cite conspiracies that we (Airbnb) have debunked as misinformation will be removed as it perpetuates that misinformation further. 

Thanks for your thoughts, 

Stephanie

-----

Of course AirBNB will find no wrong doing when it polices itself. 🤣  
Where I come from, that's called a Cover Up.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It was interesting to find out the  acceptance gap Airbnb has been obsessed with is 2.7%. 

@Mark116  indeed 🙂

And I wonder if discrimination was the real reason these 2,7% of guests were declined or they had bad reviews, were entitled, didn't read the listing, were rude, non-responsive, or whatever...

I would like to see the acceptance rate between genders, age, etc... I am sure there will be a few % differences as well. It's normal.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Yeah, or even how much is within the margin of error.  Given how Airbnb has moved  heaven and earth, spent millions, engaged high profile American politicians, etc. etc.  I assumed we were talking about some kind of HUGE, obvious gap.  Less than 3% is something, okay, but not much and not significant enough that it could not potentially be caused by other things or even be partially some kind of coding error or dare I say 'unconscious bias' on the part of the coders and not the hosts.

I was truly shocked to find out all of these massive changes are and were going on to close a gap of less than three percent.  Crazy times.

@Mark116  yes, statistical error came to my mind immediately as well 🙂

Maybe, just maybe, all this discrimination hype is just an excuse for forcing hosts to blindly accept every single booking offered, doesn't matter how unsuitable and risky it is.