28 day stay

Denni1016
Level 2
McPherson, KS

28 day stay

I am new at hosting and we have our first 28 day stay. Do you usually offer a cleaning in between time or just offer a change of bedding and towels for the guest to change themselves? They will have access to a washer and dryer and small dishwasher. Any tips?

6 Replies 6
Chel12987
Level 2
Philippines

In practical terms, if guests have access to a washer and dryer, it's reasonable to expect them to handle laundry, cleaning, and related tasks themselves. If you wish to provide assistance, it's advisable to communicate with them beforehand and avoid unexpected entries. This approach helps prevent potential issues with guests who are sensitive about privacy and may accuse hosts of intrusion.

Ultimately, whether to provide cleaning services during a long-term stay depends on your hosting approach, guest preferences, and practical factors. Flexibility and transparent communication are essential to ensuring a satisfactory experience for both you and your guest.

Whether you're a seasoned host or new to the vacation rental market, our tailored management solutions are designed to meet your unique needs. From listing optimization and dynamic pricing strategies to guest communication and maintenance, we handle every aspect of property management with precision and expertise.
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Denni1016  Most hosts who do longer-term stays do a mid-stay clean, or a bi-weekly, or whatever seems reasonable. The reason isn't as much cleanliness, as it is keeping an eye on your property. You want to be able to get a sense of if the guest is keeping the place clean, or trashing your property. 

The best way to handle it is to have it in your house rules, i.e. any stays over x days will have periodic cleaning. It has to be arranged with the guest, of course- you can't just march in and start cleaning- but if it's in your house rules, they have to comply. Make sure to include a reminder with any long-term bookings before they arrive. 

Basically, a change of linens and towels, and perhaps a quick vacuum and wipe-down of the bathroom. It doesn't have to be a turnover clean, but it will likely make the guest happy and more comfortable during their stay, and it will give you the opportunity to keep an eye on things. If you get any pushback, don't budge. Get that firmly established before they arrive. 

Good luck. 

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

I reach out to my long term guest before check in & ask if they want cleaning service. All decline. I keep complete cleaning supplies, even vacuum & broom for guest to use if they choose. 

I do not have the ability to supply laundry though there is a laundry mat 1block away & a ‘wash & dry for you in less than a day’ 3 minute drive away.  
I keep an extra full change of linens & towels in my guest apartment as well. 
I have been hosting for over 1 year & have never had a problem. They have kept the place clean & I respect their privacy. Win win for both sides. 
Bettye6

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Denni1016 we generally do not want guests washing our linen as they could damage it. We try to do a mid-stay linen change either offering the clean linen to the guest to change or changing it ourselves. We aim for the latter so that we can see how the place is being looked after.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Denni1016 👋

You've got some comments below offering you some support. Is there anything there that has supported you with making a decision about cleaning/changing sheets etc? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Hi, I am. a live in host,so I do my general cleaning, but guest are expected to still clean up after themselves.  With regards to the laundry , I put clean linen on a weekly basis in front of their door as a hint for them to bring out their old sheets. 

No problem so far , I have hosted for 6 years. 

Happy hosting