Adding a Co-Host

Valerie1059
Level 2
New Albany, PA

Adding a Co-Host

I’m considering adding a co-host to help me when I have to be away.  I have the person and the routine handled. 

The pay option is my question. I’ve read where they can receive a percentage of the revenue, or a bonus if they’ve recd a 5 star review. Are there any other ideas out there?

I’m a rather new Airbnb property, and I’m very hands on. The person coming in would handle ‘on the ground’ items only. I would still handle all communication, bookings, upkeep of my Airbnb site, etc. 

Wondering if anyone has ideas on payment for someone helping out part time on a regular basis, but handling all ground work if I’m away. 

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies 11
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Valerie1059  If the co-host is only assisting when you are away, pay the person an agreed upon percentage of the bookings directly.  

@Lorna170what do you think is a fair percentage to pay a co-host? A percent of the accommodation fare? Do they get to keep the entire cleaning fee? Do they get a percent of the resolution adjustments?

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

@Karol22   If they are handling the cleaning, then the entire cleaning fee. You then have to decide on an amount for additional hours spent in resolving issues.  There should be a fund to purchase cleaning products and replacement items like light bulbs  and pans.  

If your co-host is spending considerable time beyond cleaning and preparing for the next guest, an hourly fee may be best and can be used by you as an expense.  If you want to assign a percentage, consider how the number of hours at say $25 per hour would be reflected as a percentage of your takings.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I'm sincerely interested in learning how you evaluate your co-hosts. As you know, it's hard to find good and reliable help. I'm very interested to know what works for you.

I’m blessed that my cleaning help is interested in this position. As I’ve known her for years, I know she’s very trust worthy. And, as she already cleans the home, she’s very familiar with the home and what I require. 

So, if you have cleaning help, maybe that would be an option. It would just be increased responsibilities. 
Sorry I wasn’t more help. 

Great point Valerie. You are completely correct. A good solid set of trustworthy cleaners is number one. I'd even say probably the most important staff because they see absolutely everything before each guest checks in.

I have a good relationship with my cleaners. The only thing is, their job is to clean. They are not suited to do full inspections and fix things before guests arrive. Therefore, we are still involved in doing this. It would be great to get help with making sure everything is ready for guests as a whole.

I completely understand your concerns. 

First, (I’m less than a year into this so) I’ve had to learn to separate the cleaning expectation/responsibilities from my host expectations/responsibilities. Sounds like you’ve already got that defined. 

I initially hired her to clean at an agreed upon amount. Any responsibilities that she takes on above that will be additional compensation. 

This next part may not be what you’re looking for, but again, I’m learning to do what works rather than what’s most convenient for me.  You may want to further consider this idea. I have a handy man of sorts lined up in the event I need someone to fix things. He’s been there for replacing an outlet, to fixing a hand railing, etc. I have a plowman lined up to take care of snow.  You get the idea. So, I have people in place for specific needs. If I want some freedom, I need people. 

As far as handing over more responsibility to the cleaning help, (again, in my particular situation) my gal is handy. Most minor fixes (replacing a hot tub filter, glueing a pc of cracked molding that is holding up a curtain rod, tightening loose chairs…you know the drill) she can handle. I keep all appropriate tools at the house. The big thing here is teaching my gal the new ‘host’ responsibilities AND deciding what to pay. Honestly, what to pay is the reason I started this thread. I dont have that fully figured out yet. Again, if you consider your cleaning help, they’re business people too. Allow them ideas/input. That’s what I’m going to do with my gal. 

Im writing up an (exhaustive🥴) list of  the extra’s I do. I don’t do everything every time, but it helps get the person doing the host job to look at the home in a different perspective. 

Initially, as the host home responsibilities can fluctuate based on a variety of factors, Im thinking to pay her a percentage  of each payout, or $/per hour for the hosting side, with also factoring in use of the home for herself during the lull season at no fee. These are ideas only. The hourly amount scares me b/c there are times I spend an entire day there when I only planned a few hours. On the other hand, I want to reward someone for good work, and provide incentives to perform well. 

All that to say, I don’t have that figured out yet. If you or anyone else out here has ideas, I’m still looking!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you a host @Karol22  your profile doesn't show any listings? 

I'm hosting on my husband's account. Why are you asking? Care to answer my question?

Valerie1059
Level 2
New Albany, PA

Yes ma’am. 

Hello, 

I am interested in co-hosting your property.