Additional use of the studio and surrounding

Jennifer4287
Level 2
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom

Additional use of the studio and surrounding

We have a studio for rent and outside a hotbub. Which we offer seperate and stated this in our listing. And that people should message if they want to book it seperate and the cost of it. As we need time to set it all up and heat it up. 

But we get occassional people trying to avoid to pay or think they dont have to pay. 

We are new hosts and trying to find our way. 

5 Replies 5
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Jennifer4287   Unfortunately some guests don't actually read all the info that we provide on our listings, so this might be where the confusion lies.

Your Hot Tub features predominately on your listing, so guests could just think this is what they are getting.  The photos are what are going to pull them in, but they might not read about paying extra for the use of it.

I understand setting up as an extra if they would like to use it, but it really shouldn't be in the photos so much, because then the guests "could" automatically think it is included if they don't read the info.

Also I think charging per hour or 2 isn't perfect.  Realistically if you are heating up a hot tub, it would just be more sensible/reasonable to charge for the stay not per time limit.  Otherwise if they use it longer than that, what are you going to do, request them to vacate the Hot Tub when the time is up ?

Hope this helps.

Jennifer4287
Level 2

Hey Ruth413

I took the infos about the hotub use from long established places and from our own experience. 

People tend not to read about the check in instructions neither as I receive messages how to check in and its clearly stated. 

People can stay longer  if they want but normally hotbub use is taken to be careful with the heat. Be mindful

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennifer4287   We have hot tubs.  We do not charge for their use.  Our nightly rates are higher than our competition, but because we have hot tubs, we get more nights booked.

If a guest sees a picture of a hot tub, they are going to think that it comes with the rental at no extra charge.  Guests do not read -- they look at pictures.

I would increase your nightly rate and expect that your guests will use the hot tub.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer4287 I agree with @Lorna170 and @Ruth413 . To charge on any basis other than for the guest's time with you feels wrong. Also guests are often on holiday and won't know exactly when they want to use the hot tub.

Have a look at similar listings with hot tubs and see what/how they charge. 

Another thing - I looked at the listing and you seem to have very strange booking restrictions. This may be intentional but if not it will be losing you business.

Jennifer4287
Level 2

Hi Mike and Jane, what do you mean with strange booking restrictions? 

I feel I use my phone 95% for Airbnb but all those notifications I cant pick up on my phone and I am now on my laptop to read all those. 

Well when we started we took those infos with the hotbub use from listings around us.