Amazing little cabin on my property in a college town but there’s a catch; should I try to Airbnb?

Sarah4436
Level 2
Chapel Hill, NC

Amazing little cabin on my property in a college town but there’s a catch; should I try to Airbnb?

Hello!

I live in a college town (Chapel Hill, NC) in a great neighborhood close to campus. My property is very special; it is is a certified wildlife habitat and the backyard is filled with mature trees, Japanese maples, hellebores, and ferns. There are stone walkways with handmade iron handrails, a incredible 8ft stone wall and a little stone bridge. There is  a small pond with a fountain with a lamppost reminiscent of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe standing nearby, and a 41 foot tree swing that swings out over a dry creek bed that fills with rainwater. It’s absolutely magical!

Also in the back is a small, one-room cabin filled with windows the has a private deck and beautiful views of the woods. It has electricity, but that’s it. To rent it, I would put in a mini-split, a hot and cold water tank dispenser, coffee pod system, mini fridge along with a queen bed and desk. The catch would be that the private bathroom and shower would have to be accessed by walking outside and into the walkout basement of my home. The bathroom and shower are newly renovated, private, would only be used by the guests and would have a dedicated entrance. Obviously, this would attract a smaller demographic of renters and I know would have to be blasted throughout the listing. I was thinking I would price it at $30/night, which, for a private place in this area would be hard to beat. Is this worth trying? I am a widowed mom of two in need of making some additional income on top of my full-time job in healthcare. Getting plumbing out to the cabin is cost prohibitive and because of all of the stonework, almost impossible. 

Thank you so much! 

Sincerely,

Sarah

6 Replies 6

@Sarah4436   Last summer, some friends and I stayed a few nights in a converted barn where you had to go outside and through a separate door to get from the living room/kitchen up to the bed/bath loft. We found the slight inconvenience just a little quirk of staying in a unique space, and had no complaints at all. Admittedly, we all agreed that the setup wouldn't have worked so well in particularly cold or rainy weather.

Your property sounds like a really special place, and the poetic way you describe it would make for a beautiful listing text. If you have the time to dedicate to hosting amidst full-time work and parenthood, I'd say go for it. But don't underestimate how time-consuming the changeovers and maintenance can be - you'll probably want to set a long-enough minimum stay to be worth your while and keep your calendar carefully updated to avoid conflicts.

I think your instinct is correct that you'll have to prominently mention the bathroom situation in the listing. But rather than blasting it all over the place, I'd suggest keeping Instant Book turned off, and discussing it all personally with each person who sends a request, so you can make sure they're a good fit before accepting. 

Thank you so much, this is such useful advice!

Sarah

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sarah4436  Yes, this can be viable, just be very clear about everything, and do not use Instant Book. 

I list a private room in my home in the  countryside and while my place isn't quite as unique as yours, it is really only suitable for certain demographics of guests, so I market towards those guests, and it has worked out well. In the first part of my listing description, I say that it's a good place for those who want a quiet tropical vacation, to work on their art, writing, bird watch, practice yoga, or just relax and read their book. 

I'm a 20 minute walk to town and the beach in a bustling little tourist town- I don't want guests who like to stay out at the bar, and will stumble home drunk at 1am, waking up all the neighborhood dogs and me. 

So describe your listing well, but also speak to the guests who will be a good fit. 

And do not sell yourself short- $30 is way too cheap for what you describe. A private place in a beautiful setting is not something you want to advertise at the cost of a shared hostel room, regardless of whether they need to walk a few yards to the bathroom.

Sarah,

Thank yo so much for your reply. Your place sounds amazing!  This insight is so valuable and makes so much sense. I really appreciate your advice regarding pricing, very helpful!

Sarah

@Sarah4436 

I think @Anonymous and @Sarah977  have given you some great advice and with regards to pricing, I suggest doing a search for glamping accommodations, yurts, off-grid stays. Based on what you've explained about what you can and are planning to provide - you will understand why I think $30/night is absolutely too cheap. 

As an example...... take a look at these 2 listings

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1415908?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=63170ca4-2141-4480-a51b-b507e64f73bd

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/49649027?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=cdccb5aa-7b86-434a-9c80-32a097a9d24e

Thank you so much! Yes, I think you are absolutely right. And now I want to go to Boone!

Thanks so much, very helpful.

Sarah