Automated Keypad Code and 4a8 Hour notification - Security Risk?

Answered!
Vincent833
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Automated Keypad Code and 4a8 Hour notification - Security Risk?

I am contemplating using the 24-47 hour keypad automation tool in Airbnb. My concern has been around security. By giving the code to early, a guest can cancel and then go into the unit. What are people's thoughts? Is there a way to make the email go 1-2 hours before check in? 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Vincent833 

I believe the smart lock integration with Airbnb allows you to set the access codes to only be active at check-in time and automatically expire at check-out time. This way, even if the guest has a door code 48hrs prior, it will not be active until their check-in date/time. I would read through all the information about smart lock integration in the Airbnb Help articles before connecting a lock to avoid issues. Below is the info on how the lock access is scheduled:

Setup & Manage Smart Lock

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3481

That said, there have already been some issues with the lock integration, so it might be advisable to wait until the "kinks" are worked out? 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Vincent833 👋

There's some really interesting conversations about this. Here's a couple I found searching the Community Center: 

🔒Using the August smart lock integrated with airbnb for code distribution... 

🔒Smart lock with auto-generated codes emailed to guests and expire at check-out 

If you want to find some more articles, you can head to the top of the screen to the "🔍 Search the community" bar. I entered "smart lock code" to find these ones. 

I hope this helps, 
Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Vincent833 

I believe the smart lock integration with Airbnb allows you to set the access codes to only be active at check-in time and automatically expire at check-out time. This way, even if the guest has a door code 48hrs prior, it will not be active until their check-in date/time. I would read through all the information about smart lock integration in the Airbnb Help articles before connecting a lock to avoid issues. Below is the info on how the lock access is scheduled:

Setup & Manage Smart Lock

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3481

That said, there have already been some issues with the lock integration, so it might be advisable to wait until the "kinks" are worked out? 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

give out the code at least a couple days in advance. They may not have good cell coverage the day of and if I was a guest i’d be worried receiving the code so late. Make it the last 4 of their phone number. If they cancel just delete the code, assuming you can do it remotely