Average nightly price no longer displayed on the detail page

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

Average nightly price no longer displayed on the detail page

Has anyone else noticed their listings no longer displaying the average nightly rate until dates are input (VRBO format)?  Mine stopped showing it around 9/27.  They still show on the map search page though.

17 Replies 17
Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

Looks like they're also now lumping together the cleaning fees and service charge into the nightly price.  Really making it hard for hosts to analyze the competition.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Ryan2352  Hi Ryan, I noticed this too. An interesting change which I don't really like. I think the breakdown is helpful for both guest and host. Why are these changes made without warning to hosts or consultation. Not with me, I am a new host but with seasoned hosts who have experience. My 2 cents. Thanks.

From what I've gathered from Reddit's AirBnB group, is that this is part of a two week test of "Upfront Pricing" that they're trying in multiple markets.  I've even noticed that the map search won't display the prices to logged in users, just a house icon on the map, but does display to logged out users (when I use private browsing mode).

I get it that they caught a lot of flak for the "bait and switch" that people were seeing, but this is worse.  I don't mind if they lump the prices together, but they should still explain to the users (and better yet show them) what the various fees are.  Right now they just say something to the effect of "it's your cleaning fee and service fee plus your nightly rate" which isn't very helpful.  Something to the effect of "This includes your cleaning fee of $XXX and the ABB Service Fee of $Y,YYY" would be great.

Plus, how are we as hosts supposed to get competitive on pricing if we don't know what the competition is charging for rates and cleaning?

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

It also hides ABB's fees.  Not sure how I like that since now consumers will think we're charging that entire amount.  Plus with the removal of the prices from the map search, I can see users leaving ABB over not being able to see the prices.  When was the last time any of us shopped for something on Amazon without looking at the price before deciding which detail page to bring up?

Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

I don't like this change, either. I'm in an area where prices are low, and my $10 cleaning fee (which doesn't go up even if people stay for two weeks or more) really pushes up the nightly rate shown to potential customers. So I've just axed the cleaning fee -- not worth it. Too bad Airbnb never consults with hosts before making changes!

@Hal3292 Airbnb is no doubt delighted that you axed your cleaning free. Probably fits in nicely with their overall plan, whatever it is.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Ryan2352 ,

Thanks for flagging this here on the Community Center.  I have a bit of information I can share on this, which you can read more details of in this Resource Center article: Why your nightly rate may look different

The highlights of which are:

• We’re testing new ways to show prices in Airbnb search results
  • The goal is to identify whether other formats can boost bookings
  • The trial does not affect guest payment amounts or Host payouts in any way

Thanks,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thank you @Stephanie   For what it's worth, I did not like removing pricing from the maps and if ABB is going to do a roll-up or "up front" pricing on the detail page, please emulate VRBO's format where you can click a details link and see the breakdowns.  Many of us use that info when trying to price our properties and fees.  Otherwise, it looks like a giant "bait & switch" if they go from seeing $400/n to $620/n (as what happened on one of my listings).

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Ryan2352 - the extra context and example helps give depth to your perspective.

Across the Community Center, my team and I are collecting yours and other Hosts point of views to share back to the team that deployed the test, so I thank you again for sharing!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks @Stephanie   You may also want to check Reddit's r/AirBnB as there are two discussions going on about it right now.  One I started and one a prospective guest started.

Look for: Did Airbnb hide all prices until booking a reservation?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/q2o7da/did_airbnb_hide_all_prices_until_booking_a/

and

The “Upfront” price option?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/q2b4d5/the_upfront_price_option/

Thanks Ryan 2352 for posting this problem which ABB created for its users. For my area it appeared for a week and now has been totally withdrawn and the platform format returned to normal.  Surely the bookings rate crashed and lots of money lost from this experiment. ABB does correct itself quickly when the financial loss is its own. 

Susan

My pleasure @Susan990.   It's back to normal in my area for the last day or two.  Glad to have it back.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Susan990 glad ABB have realised the mistake they were making. I guess the only reason they changed it back was because they weren't making money. I would love to see the stats on the decline in bookings... 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Ryan2352 just cheched site for our area.(Downunder)  Price is still on the map our price for our area. When checking the site price still the same as map but when reserving the date the cost is more than double the price with no explanation of Airbnb fee or cleaning fee.

I do think this will turn people off, as something is wrong with the site and honesty from Airbnb site and the Host. With a previous topic of different unhappy attitude from guests towards Hosts might be an explanation.