Basement with separate entrance

Teena23
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Basement with separate entrance

Hey can anyone suggest or advise? We recently got a house (first time home owners) and I have a separate basement with 1 full bed and bath, living area and kitchen.. Looks perfect for Airbnb. However there's no egress windows.. There are 3 windows but small ones I don't think anyone can crawl through  incase of fire. Has everything but no egress windows. I saw hundreds of Airbnb host listings renting their basement with no windows at all. Can anyone advise?

5 Replies 5
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Allô @Teena23 

i understand the situation of your house basement.

What exactly is your question about your egress windows?

dobyou want to know if it is leagal, if it is safe Anouilh for your guest or if anyone would rent an AirBNB with no egress windows in a basement??

Annie

Hey @Annie1372 

Yes I wat to know if I can rent my basement on Airbnb with no egress windows? Is it legal if  do rent? 

@Teena23  You would have to check with the local fire department to find out what the rules are, is there only the 1 front door or is there a back door, that might make a difference.

Teena23
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Hello @Mark116  Basement has a side entrance so we have a storm door and main door once you open them you can walk right down.. Main door does has something like a vent you can lift up for ventilation. If am able to rent out I will be living upstairs where we do have our own entrance..  IMG_2747.jpgIMG_4233.jpg

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Teena23 “I saw hundreds of Airbnb host listings renting their basement with no windows at all.” That is irrelevant, and this is not an Airbnb question. You need to consult the appropriate local authorities, as Mark suggested.