Blocked dates got unblocked by Airbnb system update

Answered!
Julie4741
Level 1
Stevenson, WA

Blocked dates got unblocked by Airbnb system update

I recently had a bunch of blocked dates become unblocked. The system has changed in the past few weeks, it used to be when I clicked on a date, it would give me an option for editing, and then I think the terminology was “unavailable.” Now, two weeks later, when I click on a date, a bigger or larger screen shows up and it something like “available,” or “block.” I had someone make a reservation on a day I thought it was blocked so I had to tell them I had to have it canceled and I contacted Airbnb and Airbnb canceled it for me but said it is my fault and is charging me.

has anyone had a similar experience recently?

1 Best Answer

Hi @Julie4741 

This has been a "hot topic" in the Community as @Paula mentions, since the Summer 2023 Release. Did you by chance opt-in early to the new release?  Many hosts have had issues with the calendar settings being "stuck" on their previous custom settings for min stays and check-in/check-out restrictions. Some have mentioned "ghost" blocking/unblocking as well. Some hosts have only been able to resolve the blocking/unblocking issue by setting their availablilty to "Unavailable by Default" (this will not effect your current bookings), then manually unblocking dates as desired.  

Looks like right now you have the 12-month Calendar set. If you have concerns about the unblocking issue, you might try setting your Availability to "Unavailable by Default" and then manually unblock the dates yourself. Many hosts do this anyway to ensure they have their pricing correct before dates are opened for booking. With the standard 12-month, or all available dates rolling calendar, it's possible you would forget to update your prices as dates open up one by one automatically as the calendar moves forward. Choosing Unavailable by Default prevents a Host from inadvertently forgetting to revise prices and subsequently getting a booking at a price that is less than desirable. 

Not sure if you are using Pro Tools and Rule Sets? If you are, be sure you have not applied a Rule set that would override your blocking/unblocking attempts. You should be able to see if there are any notes about that if you click a date and look to the right panel. It would show if there were any special restrictions on that date in the right panel.

Availability Calendar.png

Hope this helps 😊

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi there @Julie4741, Our hosts have been chatting about this topic in our community lately. I wanted to connect you with our awesome host, @Joan2709 , to see if she might have some suggestions or advice to share with you. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Julie4741 

This has been a "hot topic" in the Community as @Paula mentions, since the Summer 2023 Release. Did you by chance opt-in early to the new release?  Many hosts have had issues with the calendar settings being "stuck" on their previous custom settings for min stays and check-in/check-out restrictions. Some have mentioned "ghost" blocking/unblocking as well. Some hosts have only been able to resolve the blocking/unblocking issue by setting their availablilty to "Unavailable by Default" (this will not effect your current bookings), then manually unblocking dates as desired.  

Looks like right now you have the 12-month Calendar set. If you have concerns about the unblocking issue, you might try setting your Availability to "Unavailable by Default" and then manually unblock the dates yourself. Many hosts do this anyway to ensure they have their pricing correct before dates are opened for booking. With the standard 12-month, or all available dates rolling calendar, it's possible you would forget to update your prices as dates open up one by one automatically as the calendar moves forward. Choosing Unavailable by Default prevents a Host from inadvertently forgetting to revise prices and subsequently getting a booking at a price that is less than desirable. 

Not sure if you are using Pro Tools and Rule Sets? If you are, be sure you have not applied a Rule set that would override your blocking/unblocking attempts. You should be able to see if there are any notes about that if you click a date and look to the right panel. It would show if there were any special restrictions on that date in the right panel.

Availability Calendar.png

Hope this helps 😊

Lotte1297
Level 2
Stubbekobing, Denmark

Update: Got a response from Airbnb support: They have now noted this problem on my account and if anyone books a date which had been blocked by me, Airbnb will not penalise me. So that's very fair.

Hi Julie,

I am experiencing this all the time, and it's very unfortunate as one of my rooms is not heated so this room must be marked as unavailable from September.

It just happened again today, so now I have turned off instant booking for the remaining part of August.

I have also sent a Message to the Airbnb support. I am looking forward to the response. So far they have only requested more details, but without specifying what details they are missing.

Best, Lotte