Bookings

Kerry26
Level 3
Mawgan Porth, United Kingdom

Bookings

Hi Community

i am a bit concerned as we have had only a couple of enquiries and no bookings at all for the year ahead. This is the first time we have experienced this in 6 years.
I have reduced rates, offered longer let discounts, and checked the text and photos. I cant see any glaring issues? 

I lost a cleaner to my last long stay guests who moved to the local area, they poached the cleaner which was not good, putting me off long lets a bit but trying to remain positive. 
Are others also experiencing problems with a lack of bookings? Has the bad press for Airbnb caused some lack of public support? 
Is it due to ‘cost of living crisis’? 
Do i have to drastically reduce prices?

Thanks for reading. 

19 Replies 19
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Kerry26 

If you use the search function here you will see many hosts have complained about a lack of bookings

Have you looked at demand and supply in your area to see if you are operating in a saturated market.

As you know we are in the middle of a major recession in the UK so demand has plummeted in many locations.

Personally I have never dropped my rates. I would suggest investing in some market research to see which other platforms you can list on and if you haven't done so already invest in setting up some direct marketing channels so you can promote direct bookings for your listing. 

I did see on both your listings you have what Airbnb considers low ratings - around 4.6 and wonder if this is leading to lower visibility on Airbnb.

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Helen, 

Which direct marketing channels would you recommend?  Any help you can give all of us, would be appreciated. 
Thank You!  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can set up your own website and social channels such as FB and IG and the invest in targeted advertising to drive traffic to your direct booking channels.

There is no one size fits all solution for advertising these channels I'll afraid @Debbie210  there maybe glamping sites, local tourist board, student accommodation boards, local area groups   etc depending on your target market for example 

Kerry26
Level 3

thankyou 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Thanks Helen!!! Great ideas!!

@Debbie210 

I see your property is listed as a PLUS property? are you allowed to list on other platforms? I remember years ago they told me I was not allowed,

Right now your calendar is showing fully booked, nobody can book,

Kerry26
Level 3

Thank you Helen3 

I have generally had excellent reviews? 

In the post pandemic year it brought many ‘new to airbnb’ folk, issues about bringing extra dogs & guests without consent were tricky and may have resulted in spite regarding ratings.. i do my best but people can be strange! 
i have looked at and tried other platforms.. happiest at Airbnb. 
i shall look into the area saturation.. thank you very much for your advice. 
an airbnb advisor suggested doing a special offer.. i cannot see an option to do this? 
best wishes

kerry 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hi Kerry26, 

Many of us are slower. I wouldn’t drop your rates. You still need to make money, while still paying for your home, taxes, wear and tear on your home, paying insurance, the cost of supplies etc…

Kerry26
Level 3

yes Debbie210. I am very concerned about income, all  my financial investment, plus helpers dependent on wages etc 

I am most concerned about my Eco/sustainable place, it is not costly to run but i hate it to be empty and need to make back the investment, we have a vehicle & solar panels on finance, and i have kids to support. 😔 Very worrying times if others are slashing prices in my area.. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kerry26 I suspect that trying to cram 13 people into a 3 bedroom place is part of your problem. If your pricing is comparable to 13 people places rather than 6 people places then you are massively overpriced.

Kerry26
Level 3

Hi Mike-And-Jane0

whilst i was leaving myself open to all feedback by asking the question i find your answer unpleasant and prejudice not helpful or considered. 
we have an enormous property, and the addition of a large garden lodge which can sleep a couple and child. 
we have never ‘crammed’ people in… guests have asked to stay in large groups. We offer 2 acres and many beautiful and fun outdoor spaces including a big heated natural swimming where they can swim day or night. 
Airbnb are running a check for us. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Yes, other listing platforms, Facebook, direct web site, etc like other have mentioned.

Above all do not hesitate to make the visitor to your listing aware of any feature that makes your place different than others. Also think of ways that would accomplish that objective; oftentimes is not a function of money, but of coming up with fresh inexpensive ideas.

Good luck!

Kerry26
Level 3

Thank you Fred13

i shall do my best

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Kerry26 

You have to give other platforms a try, 

The experts say you must also have your own DBS, Direct booking site,

I just got one up and running the other week I have had lots of clicks on it but no bookings as of yet,

Try Booking.com Lots of host say they don't like it, It might work for you,

They charge a lot more for commission just put your rates up to cover it.