Broken Shower Valve

Broken Shower Valve

Good Morning fellow hosts,

I have a question regarding an issue that occured over the weekend. A guest took a shower and the shower valve broke. The valve was 10-15 years old. It was a posi-temp handle. So on/off is controlled by moving the handle in/out...temp is controlled left/right. The guest turned the handle to the right expecting it to shut off, it didn't so (I can only assume here) forced it ... Breaking the cartridge and valve. The shower than ran for a period of time before the water had to be shut off to the house. There was no water damage. But the shower valve/body needs to be replaced and its a $1500+/- repair. My question is whether the guest is responsible at all or is this just a stuff happens scenario? 

Thank you for you input 

Derek 

3 Replies 3
Kelley3
Level 3
Long Beach, CA

Do you give specific instructions on operation of shower? Has this been an issue before? 

Kelley Hartwyk

Well, it's pretty straightforward forward. I understand there are different types of shower handles. But the guest had to really crank on it to break the valve. to the point water flowed without restriction.  No, there wasn't any instructions and it had never been an issue with previous guests. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Derek628 without seeing the break it is impossible to tell if fatigue has played a part. Although if you could take a photo of the fracture surface and post it I could have a good guess. At 15 years old I suspect this is one to chalk up as wear and tear I am afraid.

Can you not find a shower valve cheaper than $1500 rather than repairing the existing?