Can I start running an airbnb while I make renovations/improvements?

Can I start running an airbnb while I make renovations/improvements?

I just bought an older home that has many projects that will probably span months; ie new fencing, vinyl siding, walkways, new circuits, new plumbing. 

Some of these aren't necessary to run a basic accommodation. 

Can I start as a basic airbnb listing with shared bathroom and gradually improve my profile and increase nightly rate as I get projects completed? 

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris-And-Daniel1  You can, but the problem is that the reviews you will get will be a reflection of the current state of the property, so may be misleading to guests in the future. 

But as you upgrade, you could change your listing description to mention that this and that has been changed, and that reviews before XX date reflect the listing before the upgrades were done.

Of course, hosts are usually always making improvements to their properties, but if it's going to end up seeming like a totally different place, it might be better to wait. 

@Chris-And-Daniel1 There's definitely a place for clean, basic guestroom accommodations - especially in convenient locations with a shortage of quality options for budget travelers. But in order to build a profile that allows you to go more upscale over time, the home needs to already be able to attract great guests and earn excellent reviews from the moment it launches. Guests tend to be put off by visible (or audible) signs of renovation in progress, and they can tank the ratings if they feel like the home is unfinished.

There's no exact formula for when a home is ready for guests, but I think your best baseline is the point at which the home is functionally and aesthetically exactly what you would want if you yourself were the guest, out of all the other options available in the same area and price range. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I rented for three years of renovation. From very basic and rather horrid to amazing. For the first year I only took bookings via my local visitor centre as I needed to speak to anyone first, and show before any booking. Holes in walks, things not working, truly appalling.  It worked out wonderfully . Many of the earliest guests kept returning to see what I had done. Downplay, be brutally honest. Im in a very popular area so a budget offering was welcome.  In my listing I'd say things like: hideous gasfire but it works, ongoing  renovations but not when guests are present etc. Do it right, do it well, it can work.