Cancellation of booking

Wendy1473
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Cancellation of booking

We have someone wanting to change a booking in three days time.  We have no cancellation fee in place and this is the third time he has done this. I am frustrated due to the short notice at this time of year and I have a feeling he will keep on doing this. What do I do.

11 Replies 11

@Wendy1473 

Cancelation fees are not a thing on Airbnb. You set a cancellation policy when you list your place (you can edit it anytime)  

check out the following article: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/475

If a guests send you an alteration request, you have the option to decline it.

hope that helps!

I really appreciate the feedback. There is so much to learn.

@Wendy1473 

Yes, there is a lot to learn you need to sit down and study if not this STR business will cost you money,

There is wealth of information here in the CC, You will sleep better at night

Wendy1473
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks so much. Could you give more detail regarding where to study or what?

@Wendy1473 

You could start here, This will keep you occupied for a while I suggest you sit on a computer or laptop

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes

Wendy1473
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you so much. Yes, that's another problem as I tend to be on my phone most of the time,on the road.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wendy1473 if you go with Airbnb's suggestion of a flexible cancellation policy people can get refunded part way through the stay. Far better is to choose a strict policy but even that is not overly strict.

Thank you

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Wendy1473  If this is the third time that this guest has cancelled, he is no longer a guest that I would accept a rental from.  

Review the cancellation options and select the one that best suits your situation.  I chose FIRM for our property as it is usually booked several months in advance and a last-minute cancellation means the property goes empty, so I need some compensation.

Wendy1473
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks for your response. The constant wanting to cancel / or change last minute was my gripe. I decide to actual ask him exactly what the emergency was this time and I explained my side. We are both now on the same page. I HOPE. I have learnt a lesson and will relook the cancellation policy. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Wendy1473 

Set your cancellation policy to "Strict"