Cleaning Fee falsely added.

Cynthia1244
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

Cleaning Fee falsely added.

Hi,

I have a Property Manager for my condo in Costa Rica. For 2 years I have paid $50 for a cleaning fee to each client check in and out.

I just found out that he has also been charging the clients a cleaning fee! So he is charging me and the clients! Who do i call? Will ABNB get involved? He has it listed in the fee as a cleaning fee! 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cynthia1244 This is absolutely nothing to do with Airbnb. What does the contract with your property manager say with respect to who gets what money from the guest? As long as the manager is complying with the contract then all is fine. If they are not then remind them of the contract and ask them to reimburse you accordingly.

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

You pay a cleaning fee or have a cleaning fee attached to your pricing. There is no where on AirBnB he can add an extra cleaning fee. The $ gets deposited in your account. So I have confusion with your question. 

How is he charging an extra few. If it’s in your AirBnB pricing of your $50 then how does he get an extra $50?

Does he contact your guests before they check out asking for $? If he does then it’s fraud & I would follow with a police report after you fire him. 
NOT acceptable. 

ABNB did not add. The PM added to my listing which he controls. He is adding a cleaning fee that he collects while I am also paying a cleaning fee. So he's double dipping! I can't call police, I'm in CR. He runs the page, along with 160 other ABNB properties thru his PM company. He is adding it to all of them and I honestly think I am the only one that noticed. Some of them are very lux properties! So, they prob don't notice. But I cannot complain to ABNB as its his page, which I pay for! SUCKS

@Cynthia1244 I find your post really confusing. What do you mean you're paying a cleaning fee? If he's added the fee to your listing so it's going through AirBnB then it's legit. I mean the funds are included in your deposits. 

I'm a bit confused about what has happened. Can you clarify? 

Of course you have to pay a cleaner, but that's obvious. Not enough info here to understand what's going on. At least not for me...

@Cynthia1244. Time to sit down with your PM and review your entire contract with them, including explaining how the cleaning fees are charged. Perhaps they have reduced the cleaning fee on Airbnb to appear more competitive, now that cleaning fees are included in the nightly tariff (a change made earlier this year). OR maybe they are double dipping. Either way its not a matter for Airbnb.

As you own the property you can appoint whomever you like and you should always be the host and then appoint your PM as a co host but you will be starting again with the reviews, etc.

Contact Airbnb to help you through the change if thats what you decide to do.

Good luck.