Critique my listing - Benedicta, US Virgin Islands

Benedicta2
Level 2
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

Critique my listing - Benedicta, US Virgin Islands

Please help me out with my listing. Trying to update it for booking purposes.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/38042770?source_impression_id=p3_1688040534_YnCZNj89C9FWrjt%2F

All suggestions will be appreciated.

6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Benedicta2 

Welcome to the Community Center!

I hope you don't mind, but I added a link to your listing and updated your post title, just so that it could catch the eye of some of our regular members!

I'd also like to see if @Joan2709@Pat271 and @Joelle43 might have any advice for you!  

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Benedicta2
Level 2
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for responding to my post. I really appreciate that you took the time out to help me out.  I saw an added section about areas to explore around the Frederiksted area. Was that the link that you added to the listing for me to review? Please confirm. 

Last year was a great year for me, but my booking requests has gone down to nothing. Not sure what’s going on, but I am reviewing my options as it pertains to the Airbnb platform if the booking rating doesn’t increase soon. 

Thanks again for the response, Jenny.

Benedicta

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Benedicta2

@Jenny has added the link to your listing in the original thread so that other people can find it more easily and provide their input:

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.54.33 AM.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Benedicta2 !

Love St. Croix! I have been to the islands many years ago and loved it! Some suggestions you might try? Other hosts can provide some insight as well. You can always change things if you’re not seeing an increase in bookings.

House Rules

Your House Rules are pretty lengthy and hard to read in the paragraph format. Most guests just will not read them. Much of the information is better suited for your House Manual, or in “About This Space” and “Other Things to Note” section of the Listing. The goal is to minimize the Additional Rules Section as much as possible (most guests won’t read it anyway).

Only list those rules are “deal breakers” for you, or that you’ll need to fall back on with Airbnb in order to get them to cancel a guest’s reservation for breaking them. No need to go into great detail about what will happen if they don’t read the rules. Guests agree to all house rules when they book. I would be sure to put any very important items in your Check-In Message before they arrive to head off any big issues – but keep it short! 😊

Under additional Rules I would suggest:

Additional Rules

“By confirming a reservation, guests agree to all House Rules, including:”

• No illegal substances or activities
  • No unregistered guests or visitors
  • Neighborhood Quiet Time 11pm-8am (or whatever it is. Airbnb has added this as an option for you to click)
  • No smoking inside the property - $400 fine for violations. Guests may smoke outside in the yard only (clean up all butts and residue)
  • Adult illicit activities are not permitted on the deck, patio or any public space. Your reservation will be cancelled with no refund
  • Do not flush anything except toilet paper (no baby wipes, feminine products, tissues, etc.) Plumbing repair costs will be charged to the guest.
  • Grills (if used) must be cleaned prior to checkout. Cleaning fee small grill $30, large grill $50
  • •Security Cameras/Alarm System – must remain unobstructed and not tampered with or disconnected
  • Guest profile picture is required. Reservation will be cancelled if not received within 3 days of booking.
  • Some pets permitted with PRIOR approval – contact Host

Thats it. The rest of what you have in rules should be put in your House Manual, About This Space Section, Other Things to Note Section, or included in a check-in message. I would definitely remove all of the language about guests having friends or strangers to the house and and how you are not liable if someone gets hurt. It can send the message to guests that this an"unsafe neighborhood". I would just simply say "no unregistered guests or visitors".

Reviews

I noticed a large gap between your reviews. You had a review Mar 2020 and the next one wasn't until July 2022? As a guest, I always read reviews. I would wonder what happened and why you weren't hosting for 2yrs? Guests could conclude you were forced off the platform by Airbnb for violations. I would add an explanation (maybe first paragrah in About This Space) as to why you stopped hosting for that period.

Ratings

Your cleanliness and location ratings are a bit low. Not sure I understand that, as not many negative comments on that in reviews. I do see some paint/plaster peeling in some photos? I also see some bars on windows in photos? A guest might conclude that the area is not safe? Sometimes guests have positive comments in the written review and then give you a low number value/rating for some reason. I'm puzzled on this one. 

Host Guidebook

You could add much more to your Guidebook about the most popular restaurants, destinations and activities in the area. Guests would really appreciate your tips on that. Right now you just have car rental information?

Wishing you all the best with your hosting!  Let us know how it goes.

Maria17956
Level 2
Miami, FL

Hi ! Your pictures are very dark, they need editing, also too many photos of the entrance at the beginning but a little confusing, I cannot get to really see how the space is distributed on the outside. The roses bedding and bathroom decoration is not very beautiful. Use plain colors or simple features, nothing so overwhelming, your pictures of the bedrooms are dark, try to turn on all lights and get as much natural lights from windows as possible, ** I can help you with it if you want to contact me.

**[Contact details removed -  Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Again:

Found this Airbnb Article about Additional House Rules that might be helpful to you. It's worth a a look:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/setting-helpful-house-rules-21

"If you have special requirements that aren’t included in the set of standard house rules, you can write them under additional rules. It’s best to avoid overwhelming guests with too many rules, but you can add anything important about local customs or health and safety. "

Cheers!