Critique my listing - India from New Orleans, US

Critique my listing - India from New Orleans, US

Brand new to Air Bnb. Listing was published two days ago. 

https://abnb.me/N2AvbTzuVnb

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@India63  Nicely presented listing, good photos and description. 

However, your guest count is at odds with your furnishings. Your place should be listed for 6, not 8. You have dining room seating for 6  and looks like living room seating for 5. And when you list the living room as a sleeping space, it ceases to be a common area and whoever sleeps there has no privacy. 

Just because you can cram more people in doesn't mean it's a good idea. I would remove the sofabed from the sleeping options and list for 6, which is what your place looks like it can comfortably accommodate without feeling cramped.

Hi Sarah!

I greatly appreciate your feedback! Thanks for reviewing this so quickly. Question, are you saying to not advertise that the sofa is a sofa bed and can sleep more at no point of the listing advertisement? I thought Air BnB encouraged more "butts in a seat" and thus a sofa bed would satisfy that ask without too many people being on top of each other. Thoughts?

@India63  What Airbnb "encourages" is based on them getting bookings rolling in as fast and furiously as possible so they  can collect their service fees. 

It has nothing to do with you being a successful host earning good reviews and having hassle-free bookings.

Trying to cram in as many people as possible is a really bad idea. You  are renting out a very nice home, not a crash pad or hostel.

First of all, smaller groups are less hassle, less potential for damages and partying. Secondly, you want to avoid getting reviews that say the space was cramped for 8 people. Thirdly, as I said, you do not have the space for dining and living room seating for 8. 

Think about your guests using the space. What happens when the people using the sofa want to go to sleep while others want to stay up and watch a movie or sit around talking over wine? 

So yes, I am saying to remove the sofa bed from your sleeping spaces and lower the guest count to 6. 

However, you can mention the sofabed in your description wording, in case within a party of 6 there are those who would not be wanting to share a bed. 

So you can say something like  "There is a sofa sleeper in the living room should some in your group of 6 not desire to be sharing a bed and bedroom."

Got it! Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate your feedback.