Critique my listing - Matt from London

Answered!
Matt5077
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Critique my listing - Matt from London

Hello,

I am new to Airbnb and have my first guest staying in a weeks time.  I'm looking for advice to increase my bookings

Please could you have a look at my listing and give me feedback on how to improve. It is a high end flat in the heart of Mayfair, any advice on how I can boost my guest stays would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/766496077393244250?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_167638...

Living Room + Kitchen.jpeg

External.jpeg

Thanks in advance for taking the time to give me advice. 

Matt 

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Matt5077  You have twelve photographs, four of which show the kitchen.  That's more than 30% dedicated to one space.

Your description is bland.  (And "air-conditioning is not capitalized in the middle of a sentence.)  

Start your description by describing your target demographic.  "Perfect for couples in town for shopping and sight-seeing."  "Ideal for the business traveler seeking a quiet oasis in the heart of the city."  Whatever it is, try to work it into your description.

This is a bad sentence:  "Close to Oxford Street, Hyde Park Buckingham Palace which is only 20 minutes walk away."  It might read:  "Close to Oxford Street for shopping, and within 20 minutes of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and West End theatres."  And any other major attractions.

As @Joelle43 noted, amenities need to be complete and checked off.  People really look for them and if they don't find them, they'll message you about them, which is a waste of everyone's time.

Overall you need to try harder.  This listing looks lazy to me.  Sorry!  But if you want to be successful, put more into it.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Matt5077 As you are only allowed 90 nights per year I wouldn't worry too much about getting bookings. That said is £600 a night competitive in your area for a 1 bed flat?

Hi 

This was a consideration regarding the 90 day rule. I'm sure there are other posts on this but do you have any experience of people applying for planning and it being granted?  £600 a night is ok for the area, there are discounts on longer stays but the standard of the flat and the location is second to none. 

Thanks for your input. 

Matt

@Matt5077 If @Gordon0 is around he will give you an accurate answer. From what has been written in the past you have no chance of getting planning permission for short term rental over 90 days.

You've been given loads of advice on a (much-needed) re-write, @Matt5077, so I won't labour the point other than to say few north Americans will be aspiring to a 'flat' in Mayfair. You're definitely in apartment territory.

Oh, and lose the used toothbrushes and half-empty hand soaps in the bathroom. 

As for 90+ day planning permission, it's almost impossible in the more down-at-heel councils and I'd say you've got a cat in hells chance in Westminster.   

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Matt5077 

Gorgeous apartment Matt and very classy indeed.  As your niche is the top end of the market, your price reflects that and as such your guests are going to expect a lot for that price.  

In the section "What the place offers" you have very few amenities ticked for your listing which is surprising.  Is there no coffee machine available? no toaster? no kettle?  Sugar? tea? coffee? Fridge? Microwave?  I'm sure there are loads of things that you offer but as they haven't been ticked, it looks like you don't have all these things!  If you look at my listing, I have over 50 I think ticked!

You mention wifi but not the speed.  You can test your wifi speed using the Airbnb app and it's a common ask from guests who want to know if they can work remote.  Here's how to proceed:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/3003?_set_bev_on_new_domain=1676359056_ZWQwMThiM2JkYzZi

I would add some extra photos using different angles and comment your photos too.  Size of bed?  Looks like it could be a king size and you definitely want people to know that😉

No hairdryer? Definitely need one of those.  Is there an iron? iron board?  It would seem not as these are not showing up in your amenities and that's another thing that people who travel like to find.  Some toiletries would be good too.  

I would elaborate a bit more in your description.  Are you near an Underground? Which one?  How many minutes by foot?  

You do not have any house rules of your own other than the obvious.  Have a look at what your direct competitors list in their house rules and also what they are offering compared to you.  The Airbnb traveller expects a lot these days especially if he/she is paying a 4*/5* hotel price so to avoid bad criticism from the start, just put yourself in their shoes and all will be well😊

All the best,

Joëlle

Matt5077
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi 

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to comment on my post and giving you advice.  I will make some changes based on your response.  You have understood what we are trying to do with the property and your advise has been great.  I will make these changes over the coming days and look a bit deeper in to the listing.

Thanks 

Matt  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Matt5077 

Lovely flat but is £600 a night in line with similar one bed places in W1.  It seems rather steep to me when you can get five star hotels in London in the off season for less than £200.

As you know we are in the middle of a major recession and London is an oversaturated market so this means demand is falling for London property. Did you check demand and supply for your type of property and whether your pricing is comparable with other one beds in W1 before setting up your listing?

Matt5077
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi 

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to comment on my post and giving you advice.  

Thanks 

Matt  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Matt5077  You have twelve photographs, four of which show the kitchen.  That's more than 30% dedicated to one space.

Your description is bland.  (And "air-conditioning is not capitalized in the middle of a sentence.)  

Start your description by describing your target demographic.  "Perfect for couples in town for shopping and sight-seeing."  "Ideal for the business traveler seeking a quiet oasis in the heart of the city."  Whatever it is, try to work it into your description.

This is a bad sentence:  "Close to Oxford Street, Hyde Park Buckingham Palace which is only 20 minutes walk away."  It might read:  "Close to Oxford Street for shopping, and within 20 minutes of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and West End theatres."  And any other major attractions.

As @Joelle43 noted, amenities need to be complete and checked off.  People really look for them and if they don't find them, they'll message you about them, which is a waste of everyone's time.

Overall you need to try harder.  This listing looks lazy to me.  Sorry!  But if you want to be successful, put more into it.

Matt5077
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi 

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to comment on my post and giving you advice.  I will make some changes based on your response.

Thanks 

Matt  

Cristina860
Level 4
Orcutt, CA

Hi Matt, I'm a Rental Marketer and feel your pain when it comes to writing a detailed and enticing listing description. Many people struggle with their listing descriptions, so hiring someone to write your listing may be an answer. Copywriters can work magic for your listing, or get inspired by reading other luxury listing descriptions prior to writing your own.

Change your listing title to reflect luxury. "Flat in Mayfair" is a generic title a guest would skip over in a saturated market. Per ABNB, don't use capitals in title words that don't need to be capitalized; research this if you have questions.

Here's one quick rewrite that hopefully inspires your listing details:

Exquisite heart of Mayfair flat walking distance to Hyde Park, shopping

Enjoy luxury living in the heart of Mayfair! Situated on a charming pedestrian high street, our stylish flat overlooks some of the most exclusive designer boutiques in the world. Indulge in the ultimate high-end shopping experience just outside your doorstep, including Savile Row. Retire after a long day in the elegant and sophisticated living space with fully-stocked kitchen.

As you step inside, you will be greeted by a stunning reception. The sleek, modern design is complemented by premium furnishings and luxurious amenities, ensuring a truly indulgent stay. Relax in air-conditioned comfort as you catch up on your favourite shows with Sky TV and Netflix, available at your fingertips.

The location of our flat is unparalleled - just a stone's throw away from Oxford Street, Hyde Park, and Buckingham Palace, you'll be able to explore London's most iconic landmarks with ease. Take a stroll through the lush greenery of Hyde Park or marvel at the opulence of Buckingham Palace, all within a short 20-minute walk.

Our flat spans a generous 603 sqft, providing generous space for you to unwind and enjoy your stay in complete comfort. High-end furniture and bedding provide ample comfort. Whether you're here for business or pleasure, our Mayfair flat offers a luxurious and convenient home away from home. Experience the pinnacle of refined living and book your stay with us today.

Best of luck!

Coco114
Level 2
Lennox Head, Australia

It may not be important depending on security, but be aware of the number on the front of building and then the name of the street on the floor plan.  This makes it a target for thieves and the like as they can see a calendar and location and what is inside.

All the best and good luck