Critique on my listing - Christopher in Marietta. Thanks!

Answered!
Christopher1419
Level 2
Marietta, GA

Critique on my listing - Christopher in Marietta. Thanks!

Sybe_0-1651581211691.png

Good evening! We have recently listed our home in Westminster South Carolina, on Lake Hartwell. Would love to hear any feedback or perspective you amazing people might have!!!  

Here is the listing! We would love to have you come stay!

https://www.airbnb.com/h/ourhappyplaceonthelake

1 Best Answer
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

It's good, there are only a few things I'd change.

Every bed, unless it's a top bunk, must have a bedside table, reading lamp and charging point for a phone next to each side someone will sleep on.  Every sofa requires a coffee table or, if it's a very small sofa or awkwardly positioned, a side table at each end.  There should also be a reading lamp adjacent to any sofa.

I'd also limit the number of beds and guests.  10 people in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom residence is too many.  I suggest limiting it to 6-8 and removing some of those beds.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

It's good, there are only a few things I'd change.

Every bed, unless it's a top bunk, must have a bedside table, reading lamp and charging point for a phone next to each side someone will sleep on.  Every sofa requires a coffee table or, if it's a very small sofa or awkwardly positioned, a side table at each end.  There should also be a reading lamp adjacent to any sofa.

I'd also limit the number of beds and guests.  10 people in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom residence is too many.  I suggest limiting it to 6-8 and removing some of those beds.

Thank you! Good insights and help 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Christopher1419  Wow- what a lovely home!

I'd do a few things to make your listing even better. 

First, use captions with the pics. I went through all of them and found myself wondering which room was which, and wanting a bit more information. I realize you've included some info in your written description, but guests frequently fail to read, and captions help a lot. 

Second, as @Louise0  said, your capacity is too high, and you're certainly not charging enough money for the space and capacity you're listing for. It's a common mistake with newbies to want to fit as many people as possible, but it's not always prudent to do so. I've never understood having more than one bed in a room, unless it's obviously a room meant for kids, with bunk beds, etc. 

No adult really wants to sleep in a room with other adults or older children. There's no reason to have the room with the bunk bed and the king bed. 

More capacity will encourage partiers. You may want to rearrange things so that your house is suited to x number of adults and kids. 

Your kitchen table fits 8, so I'd make that your capacity. Maybe rethink how your bedrooms and beds are laid out. 

I also noticed a review mentioned kayaks and paddle boards. Be very specific about what is available to guests, and careful about liability if something goes wrong. You may want to have a separate waiver for the use of those items. 

I think we all go naively into hosting thinking that the world is full of people like us- considerate and responsible with other people's property. That's not always the case, so it's best to simply be prepared for every situation. 

Good luck with your property and hosting. Kia

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Christopher1419 the garden with the Japanese Maple and the little stream over the rocks is beautiful!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Ola8778
Level 2
New York, NY

@Christopher1419  I noticed you don't have a carbon monoxide detector installed. AirBnB  does offer a free one to hosts. You can check your eligibility for one here https://www.airbnb.com/trust/home-safety

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Christopher1419   Lovely listing.  I especially liked the built-ins -- I am envious.  As previously noted by @Kia272 and @Louise0 , reduce your capacity to 8 -- having extra beds is thoughtful, but you have created a lot of work for your cleaner (mine despises bunk beds as they are so hard to make up properly) and tons of laundry!  Also, if you are on a septic system, you may be over the zoning capacity.  My 3 bedroom 3 bath home on well and septic was zoned for 7 persons max.

P.S. Double check your "about this space" -- you have few grammatical/spelling errors in your text.  Happy Hosting!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If you are hesitant to reduce the number of guests, go and stay yourself with nine friends. You might find  the lack of dining chairs a problem. 

And as previous posters have said, definitely add bedside tables/lamps.