Critique

Answered!

Critique

S3.jpg

Critique my listing Jamestown, RI, USA 

It's a guestroom with dedicated bath. Many suggestions are for whole house rentals on AirBnB. I'd like to know if there are any specific to renting a room in our home, interaction with guests, etc. Thank you for your help.

https://airbnb.com/h/conanicutislandescape

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35580972?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=d247c4ce-8cca-40e4-99bc...

1 Best Answer

@Paul-and-Cynthia0   Former home-stay host here. Your listing is beautiful - the room looks very thoughtfully set up for guests, and the well-written descriptions of the house and the location really inspire confidence that people will have a nice stay. Your first few reviews are excellent - guests definitely love your home and hospitality. The main thing I'd say is keep up the good work.

One note that's more specific to home-stay listings, as opposed to Entire Homes, is that your savvy guests will want to know what kind of access they have to the common areas, and what kind of interaction they can expect with their hosts. Your photos don't show indoor common areas, and your amenities list doesn't include kitchen and dining area, so I get the impression that your target guests are not people who want to have the full "at home" experience. Based on your reviews it sounds like guests are delighted by your company, which is really the most important thing for a homestay, but you might want to be a little more upfront about whatever boundaries you have in the household before you attract people who want to commandeer it as their own space. The more you customize your listing and guest communications to your own hosting style, the likelier you are to retain those excellent ratings and get guests who are a good fit. Being totally candid about the unique social experience you have to offer (and also about the home's limitations) should help you keep a reliable stream of guests who truly appreciate your home and hospitality style.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul-and-Cynthia0  There are still plenty of us home-share hosts. I have been home-sharing since 2016. 

You listing looks fine, nice clear photos that give a good sense of the space, good listing description, attractive set-up.

My only question would be what you are envisioning as far as guests meals are concerned- as you are not offering kitchen use, they are expected to eat all their meals out, I guess? How about coffee or tea in the morning? 

I think you need to speak to that in your description wording. And while it isn't necessary to let guests use the kitchen (my guests have full use of my kitchen), if they don't even have a mini fridge or a coffee making set-up in their room, that is going to limit guests booking. For instance, I would happily book a private room home-share myself, but not if I couldn't even make a cup of coffee in the morning and had to right away head into town for that. It is sort of contrary to your "put up your feet and relax" messaging.

As far as interaction with guests goes, I have always been thoughtful of the fact that guests may be tired from travelling when they arrive, so I try not to overload them with too much information or be too chatty at that point. I'm welcoming, show them to their room and bathroom and point out the things they would need to know about right away, like where the light switches are, that it takes about half a minute for the hot water to work its way through the pipes to their shower, etc. Then I tell them that I'll leave them to get settled and when they are ready, I will show them how the front door lock works, orient them around the kitchen, etc. 

Guests will often have a shower after they arrive, unpack, and even have a nap if they've had a long journey or had to get up early.  People are better able to pay attention to information when they've had a bit of a chance to relax. 

Although I don't supply food, (I do supply coffee, tea, and the fixings) I will often ask them if they've eaten after they emerge from their room, and if not, make them a little snack and offer them a coffee, or a cold drink while I show them the other things they'd need to know. That way they don't have to run into town right away because they're starving.

Most of my guests are quite sociable and we'll often chat over coffee in the morning or share a bottle of wine in the evening. Sometimes we'll share meals that either I or they have prepared. But a few are more private, eat out and don't use the kitchen aside from putting a couple of beers in the fridge or filling their water bottle, and I see them seldom and interact little. I just try to take my cue from the guests as to how much interaction they want.

Personally, I enjoy hosting the sociable ones best, but if someone isn't particularly sociable, that's fine, too. 

And some home-share hosts aren't really into socializing with their guests at all, they are just renting out a room and that's it. 

Another thing you should do as a home-share host is work into your description some wording about your lifestyle and which guests your place would best suit. Successful home sharing requires a "fit" between guests and hosts. 

If you go to bed early, and get up early, you aren't going to want guests who stay out late and come home noisily at 1 am, banging doors and waking you up. Nor do you want to feel you have to tiptoe around until noon because the guests are still asleep. 

I have gotten really great guests from all over the world  and very much enjoy home-sharing.

Thank you Sarah977 you make a lot of interesting points I had not considered. I'll try to be clearer in my description. 

@Paul-and-Cynthia0   Former home-stay host here. Your listing is beautiful - the room looks very thoughtfully set up for guests, and the well-written descriptions of the house and the location really inspire confidence that people will have a nice stay. Your first few reviews are excellent - guests definitely love your home and hospitality. The main thing I'd say is keep up the good work.

One note that's more specific to home-stay listings, as opposed to Entire Homes, is that your savvy guests will want to know what kind of access they have to the common areas, and what kind of interaction they can expect with their hosts. Your photos don't show indoor common areas, and your amenities list doesn't include kitchen and dining area, so I get the impression that your target guests are not people who want to have the full "at home" experience. Based on your reviews it sounds like guests are delighted by your company, which is really the most important thing for a homestay, but you might want to be a little more upfront about whatever boundaries you have in the household before you attract people who want to commandeer it as their own space. The more you customize your listing and guest communications to your own hosting style, the likelier you are to retain those excellent ratings and get guests who are a good fit. Being totally candid about the unique social experience you have to offer (and also about the home's limitations) should help you keep a reliable stream of guests who truly appreciate your home and hospitality style.

Wow Andrew0 this really helps. Thank you. True, we basically just offer the bedroom & bath and don't want guests to expect more. But we're pretty friendly people so when our guests walk past (front door is in living room) we usually offer coffee or wine, whichever we're drinking. We've met the most amazing people, had long conversations, sat around the firepit  or fireplace and felt like old friends catching up. I love it! That's really why we do AirBnB, for the human contact. I'll look through our posting again and see how I can make it clear that guests shouldn't count on using the living room or kitchen. Great advice!

Val76
Level 3
Klamath Falls, OR

@Paul-and-Cynthia0  I have a room I rent in my home and have been a host since 2018.  I don't allow using my kitchen BUT they can use the refrigerator and microwave.  I have coffee, cream and sugar available.  I also have a French Press and an espresso machine along with Keurig so they can make any kind of coffee they want in the morning.  When they arrive I tell them (and show where the coffee is located) that they can make coffee if I'm not available.  Sometimes guests are up at 6am and I don't usually get up at that time.  I have guest arrive pretty late (11pm to sometimes midnight) so I don't spend a lot of time with them, mostly explain the coffee and Wi-Fi.  I usually try and find out what their plans are so if I can give them some information on where they are going to make their trip more enjoyable.  Most of the time people leave early and come back around 5 or 6 to get ready to go out to dinner.  By the time they come home I'm in bed so I don't really communicate with them very much.  I don't serve refreshments because I find I have quite a few that have food restrictions.  I will say even if I don't allow using my kitchen I'm very busy most people either eat out or they can bring take out and eat anywhere they wish.  Enjoy your Airbnb experience..  

Thank you Val76 for sharing. It helps to know what everyone does. 

Sunny234
Level 2
Gig Harbor, WA

Can someone take a look at my listing and tell me if you see anything I should change? We have been booking non stop, for 30 days now. Just weekend but it's a small space so I didn't expect more, but so far only two reviews?  Is this normal for not everyone to leave a review? I even had one couple leave a tip, and still no review.  Then today we have a couple cancel after they entered the property stating that the propety was misleading because he expected a view. I want this to be as perfect as possible