Deposit requested months after initial booking?

Deposit requested months after initial booking?

I'm confused and unable to find a specific post that answers this so wanted to ask it here.  

I booked an apartment many months ago for a family trip in June.   Today I received a request through AirBnb for an additional $200 security deposit from the host.   There was a line on the listing saying that a security deposit was required but why wouldn't it have been done back as a part of the initial booking?

I found this page on the airbnb site:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/security-deposits

But under the part regarding host required security deposits it says that :

"Host-required security deposits are different from Airbnb-required security deposits in that no authorization hold will be placed. Guests will only be charged if a host requests to collect on their security deposit. "

Yet the message seems to indicate that I will be charged immediately even though the trip is over a month away:

"XXXXX is requesting $200.00 from you. You have options: you can choose to pay the full amount, pay a different amount, or decline the request. Please review the request details and respond now."

I am guessing that I have to go ahead with this or lose the booking but is this the proper method for doing so or not?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chad413 it is not ideal but I am afraid that you should have enquired about the security deposit at the time of booking.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Chad413  The host should have stated the requirement for a separate security deposit and how it was to be paid in the listing or in a communication as soon as you booked.  AirBnB does not charge or collect a security deposit at booking, and their programming has removed that capability for hosts.   

Hosts who wish to collect a separate security deposit will typically not do it until the booking is imminent and they are with the terms of their cancellation period.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Chad413 

Security deposits set in a listing are not charged ("no authorization hold will be placed.").

If host will require an separate security deposit, then this must be mentioned in the listing.

If so, the amount can be charged. If not, it is a violation of Airbnb rules and request for money can be declined.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Chad413

The host should have also disclosed in the listing description not only the security deposit requirement, but also the timing and /trigger events for payment and refund.

Since the cost of electricity and fuel have been rising significantly, I have recently added a security deposit in an effort to encourage energy conservation, and promote careful and appropriate use of the furnishings and amenities.  I required a deposit on other platforms since I started hosting, and it is customary when renting just about anything.  The following is what's in my listings:

A refundable deposit of $300 USD will be collected via Airbnb payments when the free cancellation period ends. Guests will be refunded any unused amounts at checkout.

The nightly rate includes 22 kwh for electricity usage, and guests will pay for excess usage. Each studio has its own meters, and we charge the local rate of $0.45 USD per kwh.