Deposit

Colin594
Level 2
Welshpool, United Kingdom

Deposit

Hi,

We are thinking about re listing our ski apartment after a 3 year break .    Is there a mechanism for adding a refundable deposit when booking to ensure that the apartment is cleaned and tidied to a satisfactory standard?

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No there isn't unless you're a larger scale property manager @Colin594 

Colin594
Level 2

Helen3 , many thanks for your help.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Colin594   There is no longer a refundable deposit option for hosts.

You could charge a resort fee and manually refund that; be sure to make that clear in your listing.

Colin594
Level 2

Hi Lorna170, many thanks, I'll look into that. 

Colin594
Level 2

Hi again Lorna170,

Can you explain what you mean by resort fee please.

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards 

Colin

@Colin594   The Resort Fee can be found under the additional charges section as an optional fee that can be added to your listing.  

@Rick4645  offered a reasonable solution.  DO NOT refund in cash or to a bank account.  You can refund from the AirBnB Resolution Center.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Colin594 

I was researching other listings in my area in the last couple of days here in Phuket, the project where my apartment is located they also do STR/Hotel and they charge on arrival a deposit and I noticed a few places doing it, 

Right now Im also thinking of charging a small deposit only this week the guest lose 2 pool towels and one keycard, and this is many times it's stupid,

Colin594
Level 2

Many thanks for your reply.

This is one of the many ways AirBNB is screwing the small property owner and catering to the large scale owners. If you have multiple properties and use management software, you can charge a deposit. 

If you're a single property owner, AirBNB doesn't think you are deserving of protecting your property. You have to be creative with a work around to protect your investment.

I'm shut down for winter, but my solution will be to offer a refundable cleaning fee. I will build the actual cost of the cleaning fee into my nightly rate and use the listed cleaning fee as my deposit. If a guest leaves my home clean and doesn't break my rules, I will refund the cleaning fee on Day 15. If they break my rules or leave a mess, I keep the cleaning fee. I will disclose this clearly in my listing which is very important as should you.

Colin594
Level 2

Hi Rick.

Thanks for your answer. Can I ask...do you get the clients bank details to refund the cleaning fee ? Or refund in cash? 

Thanks for your help.

Col