Does any host have experiences on the rules and policy to start hosting from bellevue, Washington

Answered!
Jackie-G0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Does any host have experiences on the rules and policy to start hosting from bellevue, Washington

I just remodeled my basement and consider to Airbnb it to pay for my kids medical expenses. I did some research on the local rules and policy but still not sure if I have got them all right. I just applied an LLC business with Washington state for this hosting. My understanding is to got a permit for Bellevue city from my building permit. Anything else that I need to file before putting in online? Any advice about booking keeping , finding an account for tax, finding cleaners are welcome. I am totally new in business and kind of nervous. Thank you so much for any inputs,

1 Best Answer
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Jackie-G0, Welcome and congrats on almost being a host! 

Is your space permitted as an ADU (attached dwelling unit; I.e. it has its own kitchen which is defined as having a range/oven), or did you just renovate your basement and it has no kitchen? If you have an ADU permitted through the city of Bellevue, then there is no need to apply for a business occupancy license. If it is not permitted as an ADU, you will need to apply for a business occupancy license with Bellevue. We spoke directly to the city of Bellevue regarding this issue and they have been friendly and helpful. 

Please keep receipts for all expenses (renovations, permit fees, sheets, toiletries, furniture, condiments, tp, facial tissue, towels). I can refer you a good bookkeeper if you need this but you could do Excel and turn in all receipts, your income, and  your expenses to your accountant. I have some referrals for these if you would like.

You could keep all receipts and itemize them on MS Excel to start. If you acquire more properties you may want to invest in QuickBooks. QuickBooks online while convenient for remote bookkeepers, requires a yearly fee and a monthly fee (sometimes I believe only if you have employees). Many people may purchase a stand alone QuickBooks to save money and not pay a yearly subscription fee. You should be fine with just MS excel initially and keeping all receipts.

i have been personally cleaning my own Airbnb but you can find cleaner referrals on the Airbnb Facebook community page (they will only allow you in when your listing is live though). I have a few referrals for cleaners but have not tested them or inquired about pricing yet. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’d be happy to help you more if you need it. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Jackie-G0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

@Lorina14  Lorina, Sorry I don't have permission to message yet. I found your posts are very helpful as a local fellow Airbnb host. Any advice or feedbacks are so welcome and appreciated!

@Jackie-G0 - you can also look my listing up on the app and message me directly there: https://www.airbnb.com/h/private-garden-guest-suite-bellevue

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Jackie-G0, Welcome and congrats on almost being a host! 

Is your space permitted as an ADU (attached dwelling unit; I.e. it has its own kitchen which is defined as having a range/oven), or did you just renovate your basement and it has no kitchen? If you have an ADU permitted through the city of Bellevue, then there is no need to apply for a business occupancy license. If it is not permitted as an ADU, you will need to apply for a business occupancy license with Bellevue. We spoke directly to the city of Bellevue regarding this issue and they have been friendly and helpful. 

Please keep receipts for all expenses (renovations, permit fees, sheets, toiletries, furniture, condiments, tp, facial tissue, towels). I can refer you a good bookkeeper if you need this but you could do Excel and turn in all receipts, your income, and  your expenses to your accountant. I have some referrals for these if you would like.

You could keep all receipts and itemize them on MS Excel to start. If you acquire more properties you may want to invest in QuickBooks. QuickBooks online while convenient for remote bookkeepers, requires a yearly fee and a monthly fee (sometimes I believe only if you have employees). Many people may purchase a stand alone QuickBooks to save money and not pay a yearly subscription fee. You should be fine with just MS excel initially and keeping all receipts.

i have been personally cleaning my own Airbnb but you can find cleaner referrals on the Airbnb Facebook community page (they will only allow you in when your listing is live though). I have a few referrals for cleaners but have not tested them or inquired about pricing yet. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’d be happy to help you more if you need it.