Early check-in/late check-out

Felicia273
Level 2
New York, United States

Early check-in/late check-out

How do you handle check-ins that are several hours before your listings check-in time? I've had someone ask to check in as early as 8am, opposed to 3pm. 

7 Replies 7

Hi @Felicia273 If their request is possible, I advise and inform my guests. But if not, I still advise them and explain the reason why their early check in request isn't possible. If a guest requests an early check-in, communicate openly with them. It's important to explain the reasoning behind your check-in times, which might include cleaning schedules, previous guest check-outs, and preparation time to ensure the space is perfect for their arrival. Also, if you have any early check in fee, ensure that it's disclosed on your listing and inform your guest. Hope this helps! 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Felicia273  You have no obligation to provide any reason to your guest about why they can or cannot check in early. Contrary to the suggestions provided below, there is no reason to do so. Hotels do not have to explain to guests why they can't check in early, and you should not as well. The guest saw your check-in and check-out times when they booked. 

If you do have the option to let guests check in early on some occasions, it's okay to charge, but let your conscience be your guide. There's a big difference between 8:00 in the morning, and 3:00 in the afternoon. I don't believe that you should or have to put an early check-in fee in your listing, because you have no obligation to do early check-in. You can still charge the guest, as it's outside of the original contract. 

I find it easiest to just stick to my check-in time except on rare occasions. Good luck. 

Felicia273
Level 2
New York, United States

Thank you so much. I'm a new host and I'm noticing this is becoming a trend with guests asking to check-in extremely early.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can suggest to a guest if they want the accommodation to be available from 8 am in the morning they can book the night before @Felicia273 

Michalis46
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

If your home is ready to go and you didn't have any previous guests - let them check in that early. 
You can also preface it in a way to make it sound like you're going to extra mile by doing this. "We usually have checkin at 3pm, but I've made special arrangements so you can check in at 8am!" 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Felicia273 

I agree with others here. If there's no downside to letting them check in early (or late), then why not?  People have early or late flights. It's the nature of travel nowadays. If we can't accommodate their special needs, then we tell them so. 

In our case, we normally meet & greet because it establishes a personal relationship and guests are more likely to exhibit greater respect for the property. However, if they want an especially early or late check in, and we can accommodate it without any extra stress, then there's also self-check-in available, simply a code for the main gate and door to the villa. We can meet and greet later. The important part is that the guest gets settled.

And @Kia272 , many hotels will often allow early or late check-in. It depends on whether they have rooms ready or not. 

It's important to remember that we're in the hospitality business. Being hospitable is an important part of that.

@Elaine701  My response was mostly a reply to the first response, that suggested that the host has to explain why they will or won't allow early check-in. I thought that was very bad guidance for a new host. It creates a mindset of mollifying or appeasing demanding guests, when a more business-like approach can be beneficial. 

In short, it's up to a host or hotel whether they do or don't allow early check-in, but there is no obligation to explain to a guest the reasoning behind that decision. 

I also thought that advising the OP to have early check-in fees disclosed in the listing was poor advice, because  it then advertises that early check-in is a "thing."

I don't think there's any obligation to do that, because, as I mentioned, it's outside of the terms of the booking agreement, and the host can choose to charge (or not) as he or she sees fit.