Email from Airbnb requiring info or payouts will be paused

Email from Airbnb requiring info or payouts will be paused

We have recently been sent an email from Airbnb asking us to provide additional personal information in order for our payouts to not be paused.

Has anyone else received this? Is it locally targeted ie. for a specific country?

46 Replies 46
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Joanna79,

I would caution that it may be a scam and would not reply to it.

Anyone can set it so that emails they send have the word Airbnb in the "From" field.

The article below gives some information on deciding if an email really is from Airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/971

If you have doubts about it, contact Airbnb to discuss the issue.

Type "contact airbnb" in the "Search the community" box on these forum pages where you posted your question. Scroll down a little in the list of suggestions that appears and click on the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide[UPDATED]" one. That lists phone numbers and ways to contact them via Twitter or Facebook.

Steve.

Hello Steve, Thank you for your reply. I did check before clicking on anything and it is an original email. I even got a notification through the app and a text as well. I was just wondering 1) if people outside of Greece have received it and 2) why would we need to go through this process again?

@Joanna79   You say "I did check". How did you check? Did you phone the actual airbnb customer service number, or are you just looking at the email and the notifications? I'd be really wary of sending any personal info in response to this- there have been a lot of reports of hacking lately.

I'm very wary of scam emails and I never click on anything even if I double check. I didn't click on the email. I logged on to my airbnb, and the message was on my hosting dashboard as well. I sent a message to customer service and they confirmed the email.

I also got a similar email from Payoneer as well as a message on Payoneer's official website and app.

Martin121
Level 2
England, GB

I’ve been getting these emails too and when I click on the link I find that the link is broken. I assumed they were scams but I’ve now discovered my payouts HAVE been paused. Nothing received for  the last 3 weeks and I’m a Superhost too. What a shocking way of treating us. I’ve written asking for this to be resolved but no reply yet. Legal action will follow in 14 days if I don’t get paid. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Martin121  The email you recieved was a legit email from AirBnB you need to call them ASAP. You either need to update/verify tax information or your goverment ID. Many hosts have been getting these emails and most were told to reply by a certain date or payments would stop. It's mostly hosts that make a higher amount of money on the platform that are getting them usually over $15,000 USD per year. 

AirBnB United Kingdom +44 203 318 1111

Martin121
Level 2
England, GB

Thanks Letti,

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I can’t believe they sent emails to me containing broken links. It all looked very suspicious and quite unprofessional. 

I hope this is not the beginning of the end for Airbnb for me. 

Jan46
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I have also just received an email from them warning me that I only have a few hours to respond.  I've received no other emails before now but they say my payments will be paused later today.  There is nothing in my message box on my account.  Seems very unprofessional!  I also am a superhost.  

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jan46 

It is a legitimate email just as @Letti0  informed someone else last year.

I also received it a few hours ago as a last day reminder and completed it.

In my case just a confirmation that my Payout Methods remains same.

As soon as I confirmed I received an Airbnb automated email notification.

The reminder followed the original request 3 weeks ago on July 2nd.

So I expect you also received one on July 2nd but simply ignored it.

You won't find it in 'Message box', but rather under SETTINGS -  PAYOUT METHOD .

It will show in orange with exclamation mark informing that it requires attention.

Jan46
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Thankyou.  I received no message about this via email on or around 2 July.  

Jan46
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I have no 'settings' tab, or 'payout method'.  There are also no messages about this either in my inbox or my notifications.  Disappointing admin for such a big company.  😞

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jan46 

Sorry, EVERYONE has 'Settings'. Unfortunately, you don't seem to know how to navigate your Dashboard.

First and foremost you could not have opened an Airbnb account and began hosting, meaning receiving money without entering PAYOUT METHOD. 

There are 2 ways you can address the current request:

1) click on the email you received and it will take you straight to your Settings: Payout Preference. 

2) Go to your profile photo on top right hand of web-page. 

Click and drop down menu appears. First 4 subjects:

SETTINGS

Transaction History

Your Guidebook..

--------

CLICK ON SETTINGS

Menu again:

NOTIFICATIONS

Payout Methods

PAYOUT PREFERENCE

Transaction History

Privacy

Security.

Click on PAYOUT PREFERENCE and proceed to update.

Please stop blaming Airbnb for your own ignorance!

Karen1302
Level 1
Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Same here!  I have also just received this mail, I am a UK Superhost and this is the first I’ve heard about the need to update information. Very poor form from Airbnb 😶

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen1302 

Please see my response to Jan above.

It's nothing to do with being SuperHost. All Hosts receive this request from time to time.

So, instead of blaming Airbnb, I venture to suggest you almost certainly overlooked the previous email 3 weeks ago. If you have not deleted check your email archive for beginning of July.