Extra charge for spare key delivery

Answered!

Extra charge for spare key delivery

Hello everyone, I am new in hosting and I am trying to understand how to be hospitable at the same time while trying to be time efficient. Hosting is my second job and I have another day job taking most of my time. The apartment that I do Airbnb is almost 1-hour away from my own house. So I use self-check in for my guests. Recently one of the guests forgot the keys inside and asked for the spare keys. I had to go to the apartment and come back in a very short time and it was very stressful. I was wondering whether I can charge extra for this service as commute takes so much time and money for me. Any opinions or similar experiences?

1 Best Answer

I am of the opinion that Stupid Should Hurt. 
I would direct the guest to come pick up the spare key, vs you delivering it. They won't leave their key/key card behind again when they have skin in the game.

The other option is hiding a spare key somewhere.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Better to find a way to solve problems before guests create them. 
1. electronic lock

2. local helper

3. hide-a-key somewhere 

you could ask for compensation for your time, but whether you get it or not is anyone’s guess

you could also direct guests to come to the extra key since they misplaced the first

thinking of ways to simplify or “idiot proof” your hosting will improve your life

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Denise1528 

Dont worry it's all part of the learning curve and this is one of the things you didnt think about at the time,

Guest with keys are a nightmare so much so I have it written in our contract which they sign on arrival and it's in my house rules.

I only have one condo on airbnb at the moment and it is a keycard system almost every guest leave the keycard in the room and go out, It's gone beyond a joke,

A couple have lost the cards which we have to buy from the condo management and the last time I had to re program all the cards and the door lock, mainly because I suspected a security issue, I charge the guest for that.

One women was calling me at 12--30 am she had left the card in the room I had to get up and get dressed and drive there to let her in, You think Im doing that for free........? 

We have some villas which we do LTR I take a large deposit for the keys,

In all the properties we have a safe can you believe people forget the password? They do

I am of the opinion that Stupid Should Hurt. 
I would direct the guest to come pick up the spare key, vs you delivering it. They won't leave their key/key card behind again when they have skin in the game.

The other option is hiding a spare key somewhere.