Getting Started...HELP

Esther767
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Getting Started...HELP

Hello Airbnb Community, 

My name is Esther. I am a school teacher from Rockwall, Texas. I am looking to get started hosting my first Airbnb.  I am thinking to either purchase or lease a property to host on Airbnb. 

*I need any advise or tips that you can give, I would love to have a mentor to help me get started. 

I will take any advise or help that you can offer. 

Thanks in advance, 

Esther

10 Replies 10
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Esther767,

Welcome to the community.  Hosts here do share a lot of information based upon their experiences, and I suggest that in addition to your inquiry that you do some legwork here, and do topic searches at the top of this blog.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can see if there is a local host group in your area and post there to see if there is an experienced host there that you can pay  to mentor you to set up and manage your listing @Esther767 

there are also free guides on this community and you can familiarise yourself with how Airbnb works by reading the Airbnb Help Website 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Esther767 

Just an FYI, Airbnb is just a marketing platform for your business.  You need to do your due diligence to start, and run your own business.  Either, self employed, corporate or LLC.

You also need to investigate various things like.. 

1 - commercial rental insurance

2 - local bylaws, ie.  Taxes (federal, state, city, municipality)bylaws, fire codes,  municipal accommodation taxes,

3 - Consider as well financial information and reporting.  Unless, you have a very good understanding of finances,taxes and related monies, you will likely need an accountant or tax professional.

Best wishes!

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Esther767 

My previous post is a starting point for you😉  We, this past summer helped a guest become Superhosts, and neighbours are Superhosts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Esther767  You can't lease a property and then turn around and list it on Airbnb without the express permission of the owner. Most leases have a no subletting clause, and most landlords will not let you do this, so just be aware of that. 

Hello Airbnb Community, 

My name is Antonio, I'm currently struggling with convincing landlords to allow me manage their property for short term rentals. Any advice or tips please and thank you !

@Antonio2899  I'm not surprised you're struggling. Why would a homeowner let you sublet their property? Who's going to pay for the very expensive short term rental insurance? The licence fees? The repairs when guests break things? The huge utility bills when guests turn the heat up high while they're out all day?

What sort of resume do you have that would make landlords confident in your skills and experience in hospitality? What sort of detailed proposal have you come up with to present?

These are all things I take in consideration specifically for the regulations in my city of Chicago. over the past year I have saved over $10k and formed my business under an LLC. I got my DUNS # as well as opened a business checking account and have formed a relationship the bank for the past 7 months. I figured if I can get financing from the bank to cover these expenses in the beginning stages until I generate more revenue. Then I should be fine. Am I going about this the right way? if not any advice on what I should be doing 

Okay so that part is what I'm struggling with.  I have some experience in community service and hospitality through non-profit organizations I was a part of back in college. Other than that, I have been a reseller in shoes over the past year. So how do I prove that I'm capable of doing this? and what kind of detailed proposal should I present?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Antonio2899 

I suggest that you try to get some experience and relevant references if you can. I do not know if you are working elsewhere at the moment, which might make it difficult, but it would be good if you could get some sort of work experience placement, maybe an internship etc.

In London, there are companies that manage Airbnbs/STRs for the owners. Some of these have closed down in the past couple of years though. I wonder if there are similar companies in Chicago. A young host I know worked for one of these in London for a while and learnt a lot there.

There are so many different things to learn when it comes to being an Airbnb host. I can understand why landlords would be reluctant to let you manage STRs at their properties without the experience or references/recommendations.