Guest asked to alter their reservation. Host declined due to other guests booking and needed time between to clean. Guest ignored declined request an extra day.

Linda3481
Level 2
Energy, IL

Guest asked to alter their reservation. Host declined due to other guests booking and needed time between to clean. Guest ignored declined request an extra day.

Guest asked to alter their booking for another night after staying up all night partying. This was a spur of the moment reservation. Local family had frozen pipe burst asking to move their Christmas and meal  to our Airbnb only 1.2 miles away. Party would be 8-10 guests at the height of the day. Possibly 4 guests  and maybe a extra friend staying the night. They insta booked then explained their situation. I politely explained the Airbnb living and dining areas were small and might not be accommodating to her visiting and dining needs. I would be happy to refund their money so they could find something bigger. She assured me she would be respectful of the Airbnb stating she had great reviews from all her Airbnb stays. Against my better judgement and Christmas and her situation they came. She also asked to arrive early so she could get everything set up. Check in is 2:00 pm. I let her check in  at 10:00 am. She sent pictures of how she set her Christmas up. I said everything looked nice. My husband went over later that day to meet them ( at her request to meet) and explain a few details ( hot tub operation and safety rules). Check out time is before 11:00 am. My husband explained we had to work till 12:00 and wouldn’t be home till then. She said oh then could we check out at 12:00 instead of 11:00?  He said, “yes, no problem”.  He went on to mention we had other guests coming in the day after and needed the time to clean and prepare the Airbnb for them. After watching the group going in and out to the hot tub all night long “door bell camera” I received a 3am request to alter their reservation for another night. At 5:30 am when I got up, I declined their request. I then politely explained we had guest arriving and needed the extra day between to clean and prepare for them. I thanked her for understanding and hope they enjoyed their stay. After two minutes she then booked another night. I couldn’t cancel it because it was in the 24 hour window and the day was open on the calendar. I immediately contacted Airbnb support. They said I was in the right. I had declined her alteration request and then messaged her immediately after, and because  it was the same person that I declined and then rebooked. Airbnb sent her a message stating she can’t book another night since I declined her reservation alteration previously. I am awaiting the result. So far she hasn’t responded to them and her booking is still on my calendar. You try to be kind and understanding to people but then they want to stick it to you. I know I have to do extra cleaning and washing due to the amount of people and partying that went on. It doesn’t just take an hour to accomplish. It’s an all day and into the next to get it ready for the next guests. Plus I work and have to fit all the cleaning into my schedule.  Anybody have this happen

4 Replies 4

Please make sure to review this guest appropriately.

"Guest is not someone I would recommend to other hosts. She was pushy and demanding. First she wanted an early check in. Which I allowed. Then she wanted a late check out, which I also allowed.  At 3:00 AM she sent a request to extend her reservation another day. I told her this wasn't possible because we had other guests coming and this was our "cleaning time" and we declined her request. She did an end-around and made a separate booking for that day which we were forced to cancel. 

We tried to be kind for the holidays, but she exploited our kindness and would not accept "No" for an answer."

Going forward, to keep this from happening, you need to adjust your calendar settings.

Rick4645_1-1672077407045.png

I did exactly that. I now have my calendar blocked one day after guests check out.  Airbnb did cancel her reservation. I had to go wake them up to inform them of the cancellation. I told them they had to be out by 12:00. They took till 12:45. She messaged me and apologized , said she was hurrying. I just wanted them out! I could tell it had been very messy but she did a good enough job pulling it together. She prided herself on her good reviews said she leaves Airbnb’s as she found it. So for just finding out she didn’t have an extra day I could tell she tried to leave it as good as she could. Lesson learned , this will never happen again  I am struggling with her review  She was very pushy but in a pitiful way. Like pleading for help. But then she turned it around by booking sneakily. I will be fare though to other hosts about her.     Thank you for your help I appreciate it very much. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linda3481 If you couldn't accommodate a booking why was your calendar open?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Linda3481  If you typically have 1 day between bookings, why not set it to automatically block a day?  I've never had this happen, but am on site and try in messages to be very clear about check-in/out time.  You learned a valuable lesson though, that giving people extras and buying into their sad sack stories usually ends up as a problem.